Kintamayama

Towels-Who likes what color?

Weren't you always intrigued as to what color towels the rikishi use in their last shikiri? Well, here you are then..

Color East Rank West Color
Dark Blue Hakuhou Y Kisenosato Dark Blue
White Kakuryuu Y  
Yellow Goueidou O Takayasu Red
Pink Mitakeumi S Tamawashi White
White Takakeishou K Ounosho Red
Dark Blue Hokutofuji M1 Ichinojou Dark Blue
Red Yoshikaze M2 Kotoshougiku Red
Green Chiyotairyuu M3 Tochinoshin Red
Light Green Shoudai M4 Arawashi Dark Blue  
Green Okinoumi M5 Endou Pink
Purple Takarafuji M6 Ikioi Black
Purple Chiyoshouma M7 Chiyonokuni Red
White Tochiouzan M8 Kaisei Orange
Black Shouhouzan M9 Chiyomaru Purple
Red Terunofuji M10 Aminishiki White
White Kotoyuuki M11 Daishoumaru Dark Blue
Light Green Soukokurai M12 Kagayaki Yellow
Brown Takekaze M13 Daieishou Red
Red Abi M14 Yutakayama Purple
Red Ishiura M15 Nishikigi Light Green
Red Ryuuden M16 Asanoyama Orange
Light Blue Daiamami
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8

Answering questions we didn't even know we had. This is why I love this forum. 

• Like 4

Is the color some indication for the towels' nutrition value or does it help in any way when facing the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal? But one's for sure, those towels won't keep you warm.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Is the color some indication for the towels' nutrition value or does it help in any way when facing the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal? But one's for sure, those towels won't keep you warm.

Yes.

I always thought the colour of the towels was chosen to matc the colour of the mawashi as closely as possible. 
But today I saw one striking violation of that rule. I wonder if the tsukibito in charge was punished.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Fun fact, the Bugblatter Beast is actually an ancient ancestor of the silkworm, so if you use silk towels of any colour it will be very confused and moderately disgusted. Hope this helps 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I care less about the colour of the towel, and I'm more frequently aghast about the order in which some rikishi choose to towel themselves off. Face should always, always be first. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

35 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

I always thought the colour of the towels was chosen to matc the colour of the mawashi as closely as possible. 
But today I saw one striking violation of that rule. I wonder if the tsukibito in charge was punished.

Not really, though some are - I'd say less than 50%.

48 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

It seems to me that they more commonly match the color of the pillow the rikishi sits on, but some differ.

In keeping with my conjecture that the quiet rikishi are the deep thinkers, notice that Kakuryu's towel color matches the salt.

• Haha 1

Ura is the one I find amusing with this. He never uses the thing. At least not pre-bout. Plus he'd be good with about a tablespoon of salt. I've seen guys that use bigger pinches of snuff that Ura uses of salt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Benevolance said:

I care less about the colour of the towel, and I'm more frequently aghast about the order in which some rikishi choose to towel themselves off. Face should always, always be first. 

After watching an older guy in the Tokyo subway cleaning his nose and then wiping his face with the same tissue, nothing is sacred anymore.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Benevolance said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I assume that the towels match the bathmats for all rikishi now that Baruto has retired. Do they usually stick with the same colours? I might have to try this on my Sumo for dummies torikumi if it helps identify the rikishi easily. Each basho a local Japanese restaurant feeds myself and my family.  In return I get to walk around with a dai joki, give out fabulous prizes (my kids rig the lucky door tickets if they don't like the look of people) and answer questions from diners about sumo whilst they watch NHK. I make a torikumi with shikona, height weight, country of origin and head to head stats but when it comes to something simple like the colour of the shimekomi and kesho mawashi it can be hard when they change them so often (soiling perhaps?) Profile photos are too small if I want to keep the sheet at one or two pages and everyone looks so alike to the initiated.