Rocks

Basho Talk Hatsu 2018 (SPOILERS)

2 hours ago, CT3* said:

I find it deliciously ironic that Hakuho is handing out kinboshi while going without pay.

You know, that would be an absolutely brilliant form of protest. 

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

You know, that would be an absolutely brilliant form of protest. 

Yup. Give up back to back kinboshi and then pull out of the tournament. Not like he's getting paid anyway. The only thing that would make it better is if he decided to go home to Mongolia for onsen treatment of his toe. :-D

Check what Hakuho had got in the past two months:

• Being warned and criticized for speaking something at his yusho interview;
  • Being interrogated by police for almost a whole day;
  • Being interrogated again by the kyokai;
  • Receiving a death threat;
  • Being disciplined and fined 1.5 months' salary;
  • Being criticized by YDC and forbidden to use two types of tachiai;
  • Being mentioned for a million times by the media that he was present at that drinking party when Takanoiwa was beaten;

Edited by Dapeng
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

Kakuryu yusho. He is up for it. Goeido and Mitakeumi might push him...but it is his.

We shall see. He certainly should have no problem with Chiyotairyu I would think. He will have it easy if he doesn't lose a match as that will keep his confidence up. Pushing Ichinojo really tired him out though. But I think if he loses one bout he'll lose 3. In which case Mitakeiumi, Tochinoshin, Goeido or Takayasu will be right there on Day 15.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Where the hell is this 'tadpole' meme coming from?? I keep seeing it.

I first saw it on Tachiai, as reported above. I only mention it here because it really annoys me and I wish they'd stop using it.

• Like 1

Don't forget that Kakuryu isn't paid either - and he has not that much extra income.

His pay would be the 10 million for the yusho (and the kensho when he's in the last bout each day)

6 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Where the hell is this 'tadpole' meme coming from?? I keep seeing it.

This?

Spoiler

f56be7a38f4174006425a0bf12790e287e38ea9a

Fantastic bouts today. I really want to know what Yoshikaze thought after turning around from downed Hakuho. I bet it was something like "f*** yeah". But i don't know whom to bet on for yusho. Kakuryu, Goeido or will Mitakeumi show an ozeki performance?

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

I really want to know what Yoshikaze thought

"Yeah, I'm your nemesis, and I'll make you BOW this time!" 

12 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I guess we'll have only one yokozuna in the 2nd week

You’re crazy. Hakuhō will go back to the slap if he loses tomorrow and start winning. He’s not gonna lose tomorrow, anyway.

Kisenosato needs to retire. It’s sad but that’s injury for you.

Kakuryū looking great, happy for him. Always thought it was weird how he pulled out last moment after training well the past months, I never doubted he’d do well.

Mitakeumi ōzeki soon.

Will Gōeidō keep pace?

Ichinojō has fighting spirit this basho.

Chiyotairyū’s loss was weird.

I hate Kotoyūki’s tachiai.

I thought Ryūden was good but he’s been disappointing.

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Don't forget that Kakuryu isn't paid either - and he has not that much extra income.

His pay would be the 10 million for the yusho (and the kensho when he's in the last bout each day)

Yeah, but a yusho means the YDC doesn't hound him to retire for a few more tournaments. So, it's sort of like getting paid...

Call me crazy but I still say Tochi's heel is touching the dirt where it meets the bale here:

heel.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dapeng said:

Check what Hakuho had got in the past two months:

• Being warned and criticized for speaking something at his yusho interview;
  • Being interrogated by police for almost a whole day;
  • Being interrogated again by the kyokai;
  • Receiving a death threat;
  • Being disciplined and fined 1.5 months' salary;
  • Being criticized by YDC and forbidden to use two types of tachiai;
  • Being mentioned for a million times by the media that he was present at that drinking party when Takanoiwa was beaten;

With another toe injury now I wouldn't be surprised to see him disciplined to trip more gracefully. 

58 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Call me crazy but I still say Tochi's heel is touching the dirt where it meets the bale here:

heel.jpg

I see a gap between the heel and the ground on this shot. However, when I paused the slow motion replay , it looked to me like the heel did touch the ground.

The top of Takayasu's big toe on his left foot had already turned over and touched the dohyo. Tochinoshin won.

• Thanks 1

I never thought of that but you must be right, I do recall something about "anything touching other than the sole of the foot".

19 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

The top of Takayasu's big toe on his left foot had already turned over and touched the dohyo. Tochinoshin won.

That's interesting, but not sure if it counts. 

2 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

That's interesting, but not sure if it counts. 

It  not only counts, but it is quite often the factor that gets overlooked when there is a forum argument (discussion) about first touch downs and dead bodies. Always check the feet when there is a curious close call.

15 minutes ago, Marcus33 said:

I never thought of that but you must be right, I do recall something about "anything touching other than the sole of the foot".

Lost because the back side of a toe touched the dirt? Unheard of. 

So, with Hakuho's withdrawal confirmed, that really does make it wide open. Kakuryu looks strong, but he's missed so much sumo of late that I'm not convinced he's in top form. We'll see, but let's not forget he has an entire pack of hungry and talented up-and-comers with which to contend. I don't envy him that.

7 minutes ago, Dwale said:

So, with Hakuho's withdrawal confirmed, that really does make it wide open. Kakuryu looks strong, but he's missed so much sumo of late that I'm not convinced he's in top form. We'll see, but let's not forget he has an entire pack of hungry and talented up-and-comers with which to contend. I don't envy him that.

He still has Kisenosato to share the burden. 

• Like 1

today was a wild day, and chiyotairyu has been utterly horrible, a 3rd kise loss and 2nd hak loss was incredible.

it seems like i'm in a role-reversal alternate universe where Hakuho is the crappy one and Kakuryu is a dai-yokozuna.

in other hakuho news, he didn't get his matta today. and i need to correct myself. when i said Ryuden in yusho race. i didn't realize he was 1-2. yusho winners: Kakuryu, Goeido, Mitakeumi, Tochinoshin, Takayasu

Hakuho out. That makes it tougher on Kisenosato,  if he were thinking of pulling out I mean.  I think he'll have to stick around till he has 5 losses at least now. 

45 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

He still has Kisenosato to share the burden. 

I think probably not much longer. I would love to see him come in and stage a comeback, but he just doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders. Of course, he's proven me wrong before. I hope he does again.