Rocks

Basho Talk Hatsu 2018 (SPOILERS)

Abi was impressive today.  Mitakeumi was very cool-headed in the face of an onslaught and it paid off.  

I think the rest have wised up to Aminishiki's pulling (and maybe also feel less bad about getting stuck into an elder now that the honeymoon period of his makuuchi return is over).

We have a nice next generation coming up through the ranks.  They all seem quite strong with different qualities and the bouts feel more evenly matched if that makes sense; they seem to be more engaging and there seem to have been fewer 'pushover' victories.  I don't think there'll be the same disparity between the next generation of yokozunas and the rest of the field as we currently see with Hakuho, which will make not only the bouts but future promotions very interesting.  

• Like 1

I was cheering for Tochi but i think a rematch was be the fair call on that one....

Kinboshisato should go kyujo. And  intai. 

Kakuryu now have a great shoot competing against Mita, Tochi and Goeido. The basho is his if he dont f* up.

This has been and is shaping up to be a really exciting tournament! With news that his majesty's stubbed toe was actually serious, anyone has a chance now. Kakuryu and Goeido have looked the best so far, but this is a real chance for someone like Tochinoshin or someone ranked too low like Asanoyama to get a yusho. It's been refreshing to see Hakuho give away kinboshis while Kakuryu wins convincingly as much as he's been criticized. 

As for Takayasu-"Tochinowin", I thought the judges were nuts for no monoii. But the replay showed air under Tochinoshin's heel, and Takayasu's leg touching down before Tochinoshin's feet moved. Good call by the shimpan.

Kisenosato lost again! He looked very distraught after the bout. Good for Kotoshogiku, another kinboshi, maybe he'll progress to Ozeki someday. 

Hakuho's slap and elbow was too violent and not aesthetically pleasing so he settled on nodo-wa instead. He looked very sloppy and lost quickly once again. That being said congratulations Yoshikaze! second straight defeat of Hakuho and third overall. 

3 hours ago, Rocks said:

Call me crazy but I still say Tochi's heel is touching the dirt where it meets the bale here:

heel.jpg

Dont agree.

Heel = not down (you can even see a shadow from the heel being above the ground)

Top of foot = down (and yes that matters)

Edited by Katooshu
  • Thanks 1

Just thinking. Giku has Kakuryu on Day 6. If he can beat him he'll have 3 wins against the Yokozuna this basho.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Just thinking. Giku has Kakuryu on Day 6. If he can beat him he'll have 3 wins against the Yokozuna this basho.

Not his first attempt at the feat. 

Hope Kakuryu can stay healthy all 15 days and have a Renaissance in his sumo career. Great to see him competing in top form.

Takekaze seems to start every basho slow these days, but manages to rebound in week 2. This time he seems to be in some serious danger starting off 0-4 and at great risk of dropping out of Makuuchi for the first time in 13 years. Hope he can gambarize.

Really looking forward to Tochinoshin vs Goeido tomorrow.

Hoping we are watching the beginning of an ozeki run unfold for Mitakeumi!

2 hours ago, Burajirotono said:

I was cheering for Tochi but i think a rematch was be the fair call on that one....

Kinboshisato should go kyujo. And  intai. 

Kakuryu now have a great shoot competing against Mita, Tochi and Goeido. The basho is his if he dont f* up.

Kinboshisato ...... it took me 20 seconds to figure out the meaning. 

• Like 1

Goeido feels that with Haru intai, Hak injured, Kise on the edge of intai and the young boys still very slightly behind him, this is his golden and probably last opportunity to become the next Japanese yokozuna. He seems to be very determined, healthy, physically/mentally on the top and my bet is that this will be his basho. The next step in March is an other question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, umbriel2 said:

Goeido feels that with Haru intai, Hak injured, Kise on the edge of intai and the young boys still very slightly behind him, this is his golden and probably last opportunity to become the next Japanese yokozuna. He seems to be very determined, healthy, physically/mentally on the top and my bet is that this will be his basho. The next step in March is an other question.

I have to say I completely agree with you on all of this.If this basho comes down to Kakuryu - Goeido on the last day that would be epic. I am expecting Kisenosato to go kyujo but get one more basho to prove he can still perform.

Surely Daiamami deserved at least a torinaoshi against Yutakayama....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Senkoho said:

Surely Daiamami deserved at least a torinaoshi against Yutakayama....

The shipan ain't covering themselves in glory the last couple of days that's for sure.

7 minutes ago, The Fat Cyclist said:

I am expecting Kisenosato to go kyujo but get one more basho to prove he can still perform.

Pretty sure, that 3 more basho for Kise. 

Next time they just third time recommend miss basho. Then encourage him. 

And if he not prove yourself in March or May... last chance will be in Nagoya. 

I think Kintamayama is right, Konosuke needs to be the next Shonosuke.  The man is the picture of gyoji perfection.

• Like 1

Btw hello everyone, new to the forum, huge sumo fan from the US currently living in Japan.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Burajirotono said:

Unlike Kisenosato, I cannot remember Kakruyu fucking anything up at least since he's Yokozuna. When he was into it (i.e. not in generous-for-various-reasons mode) he didn't fold for dumb reasons.

Personally, I wish the transcendent Kakuryu meets the no-bullshit Goeido of the first four days (where is that guy hiding when it counts?) on senshuraku for the decisive bout, fought honestly. 

• Like 2

Takayasu is looking very solid as an Ozeki. I'm glad to see him come back after that initial kadoban. A Yokozuna run in the future is definitely possible! And, unlike his heya brother, he seems to handle pressure well. Should he ever make Yokozuna, he'll be much more consistent Yokozuna than our beloved Kisenosato.

The way things are shaping up so far, I'm expecting Kakuryu and Mitakeumi to contend for the yusho going into the final 5 days. But Goeido could still come back and win, or Tochinoshin could surprise me.

Tochinoshin is having his best first week in Makuuchi. 5-0

Asanoyama, Tochinoshin, Mitakeumi, and Kakuryuu. The plot thickens.

Incredible. it's like Kisenosato has forgotten what to do. Why is he trying to pick guys up by the arm pits? 

• Like 1

What is Kisenosato still doing there? How embarrassing...

Kinboshisato is giving out a generous harvest. Yoshikaze most likely doesn't mind this.

Edit: Oh, and there he goes. He will be kyujo tomorrow. If he is not...no he definitely is out.

Edited by Jyuunomori

Is this the end for Kise's kingdom? How many more losses and kyujos separate him from hintai? 

This is just getting sad to watch at this point. 1-4 this basho, 13-19-33 since the start of May. He had Yoshikaze at the edge and he ends up falling off the same edge into the crowd. He's even having spirited fights too he just can't win, even how he fought looked strange. He'll probably be kyujo tomorrow he looked like he couldn't get out of there fast enough. 

TOCHINOSHIN!!!!!! 

Takayasu looks powerful, ecspecially his tachiai, Kakuryu, and Mitakeumi looked great again.

Don't forget about Asanoyama at 5-0 at the bottom of Makuuchi. I think that's too low of a rank for his abilities and should get atleast 10 wins and maybe compete for a surprise yusho. 

Shodai-Ichinojo was hilarious.

Poor Aminishiki might have hurt his knee badly.:-(