Yubinhaad

Kyujo Updates - 2018 Hatsu

Yubinhaad    7,070

I guess Fukurou is very busy at the moment, so I thought I'd just fill in and get this thread started. Here are the kyujo rikishi for the start of the basho:

JURYO

J3e Takanoiwa
J9w Toyohibiki
J11e Ura

MAKUSHITA

Mk9w Chiyootori

SANDANME

Sd3e Hatooka
Sd37w Sasakiyama
Sd69w Tetsuyuzan
Sd82w Kaigo
Sd90w Tsunekawa
Sd97e Akitoba

JONIDAN

Jd3w Yutsukasa
Jd5e Yuma
Jd8e Shuji
Jd20w Masakaze
Jd34w Sakurafuji
Jd35w Hamaminato
Jd36w Sekizuka
Jd67w Ryubu
Jd74e Amanishiki
Jd76w Ichifuji
Jd85e Takada
Jd87e Watatani
Jd92w Urutora
Jd102w Miryuzan
Jd105e Shoryudo

JONOKUCHI

Jk11w Yokuyusei
Jk13e Kitasatsuma
Jk13w Narumi
Jk14e Mitsuuchi
Jk15e Kotomiyakura
Jk16e Ogiryu *
Jk17e Asahimaru
Jk17w Tamanoryu

* Tokitsukaze-beya's Ogiryu retired after failing to recover from repeated shoulder injuries. His danpatsu-shiki took place last month, I'll post the pictures when the intai list is revealed after the basho.

Elsewhere, Tomozuna-beya's Jonokuchi yobidashi Shuntaro retired as of December 31st, after four years in the job.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Kintamayama    22,373

You can add Kitataiki and Soutairyuu to the mix, as they both have retired.

Bumpkin    351
46 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

You can add Kitataiki and Soutairyuu to the mix, as they both have retired.

Technically, Yubinhaad is correct. They are both intai, not kyujo.  Since they are both former sekitori, they're not listed.

Kintamayama    22,373
30 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Technically, Yubinhaad is correct. They are both intai, not kyujo.  Since they are both former sekitori, they're not listed.

I think when we come to this page, we want to see who is in and who is out, not the reason nor the semantics. It rarely happens that someone announces his retirement a day before the basho, let alone two rikishi. They are not on the list because they are on the torikumi for day 1 or two.  But they will not be in, so technically they are not kyujo, but for all intents and purposes , they will miss all their remaining bouts this basho.

• Like 1

Asashosakari    11,031
4 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I think when we come to this page, we want to see who is in and who is out, not the reason nor the semantics. It rarely happens that someone announces his retirement a day before the basho, let alone two rikishi. They are not on the list because they are on the torikumi for day 1 or two.  But they will not be in, so technically they are not kyujo, but for all intents and purposes , they will miss all their remaining bouts this basho.

Not really, because their officially accepted retirements mean they have no scheduled appearances this basho; their records will be 0-0 (maybe 0-1 for Kitataiki), not 0-0-7 like regularly absent rikishi.

In any case, pulling together the kyujo reasons from elsewhere:

On 12.1.2018 at 03:08, Gurowake said:

Only new story for "休場"(kyu(u)jo(u)) on Google in this hour before the torikumi is released is one saying Takanoiwa will be absent.  I couldn't find any other shikona in the article, which appeared to focus solely on Takanoiwa.  It seems to say his new medical certificate says " 頭部外傷、頭皮裂創痕、右乳突蜂巣炎痕 " - Head injury, trace of scalp laceration, trace of right pectoral cellulitis is what I make of it, but that's trusting my in-browser translator for the medical terminology.  https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201801120000228.html

edit: here's a different one with Ura and Toyohibiki's shikona in them http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20180112-OHT1T50056.html

So it looks like we have a full Makuuchi slate, but 3 absences in Juryo.

On 12.1.2018 at 05:10, inhashi said:

Toyohibiki with arrhythmia!?  That sounds worrying :(  been sick for a week, but recovering and may join later.
https://this.kiji.is/324397675808343137  

Kintamayama    22,373
24 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Not really, because their officially accepted retirements mean they have no scheduled appearances this basho; their records will be 0-0 (maybe 0-1 for Kitataiki), not 0-0-7 like regularly absent rikishi.

But isn't Kitataiki scheduled or will they change that? And Soutairyuu? 

Gurowake    1,644

Sotairyu was on the list of withdrawals initially.  The schedule was made around him.  As to Kitataiki, as I pointed out elsewhere, they will probably have a reasonable option for what to do with Shimanoumi given that he's not officially scheduled yet: make him the guy that goes up to Juryo instead of Terutsuyoshi.

Kintamayama    22,373
1 minute ago, Gurowake said:

Sotairyu was on the list of withdrawals initially.  The schedule was made around him.  As to Kitataiki, as I pointed out elsewhere, they will probably have a reasonable option for what to do with Shimanoumi given that he's not officially scheduled yet: make him the guy that goes up to Juryo instead of Terutsuyoshi.

OK, makes sense.

Yubinhaad    7,070

In addition to the the suspended Inosuke, three other gyoji are kyujo from the start of this basho. Makuuchi gyoji Shikimori Yonokichi is in "poor physical condition" and requires three months rest and some hospital treatment (he missed a basho last year due to poor condition too if I recall, rather worrying). Cold and flu season is also in effect, Juryo gyoji Kimura Mitsunosuke and Jonidan gyoji Shikimori Seiichiro are out as well - Mitsunosuke at least should be back later, requiring two days rest after his fever ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Achiyama    495
21 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I am with Moti on this.

Kintamayama    22,373

Toyohibiki's arrhythmia seems to be more serious than we thought. It turns out he needs two months of complete rest. He was in the hospital between January 4th and 11th. "To put it in layman's terms, he has arrhythmia. It's the first time he has this but he is quite calm," said Sakaigawa Oyakata, who then said he might actually return in the middle of the basho, depending on how he is, regardless of what the doctors say.  

• Confused 1

Kintamayama    22,373
5 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

IJonidan gyoji Shikimori Seiichiro are out as well 

Hmm, I think I may have an idea why he is kyujo..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Akinomaki    17,923
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Steak to be out of sumo in 3 months?

Flyric    40
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Think he's the one Shikimori Inosuke got friendly with?

Kintamayama    22,373
3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Steak to be out of sumo in 3 months?

Nein. He might have been the one that had the steak with Inosuke..

Kintamayama    22,373
2 hours ago, Flyric said:

Think he's the one Shikimori Inosuke got friendly with?

Possibly..The age is right.

sekitori    244
10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Toyohibiki's arrhythmia seems to be more serious than we thought. It turns out he needs two months of complete rest. He was in the hospital between January 4th and 11th. "To put it in layman's terms, he has arrhythmia. It's the first time he has this but he is quite calm," said Sakaigawa Oyakata, who then said he might actually return in the middle of the basho, depending on how he is, regardless of what the doctors say.  

According to the American Heart Association, the term arrhythmia refers to the presence of an irregular heartbeat. Most arrhythmias are considered to be harmless and are not treated. However, there is a possibility that it could be clinically significant. If that's the case, a treatment plan will be started and in Toyohibikis's case, probably already has been. If his oyakata says he might return during the basho, regardless of what the doctors say, such an attitude is similar to that of oyakatas who allow rikishis to compete despite the fact that they are injured and not ready to compete. Only this time, the result could be far more serious than having a rikishi reinjure himself. I hope Sakaigawa Oyakata has enough sense to listen to the advice of health professionals and not make an unwise (a better word might be "reckless") decision that could possibly severely affect Toyohibiki's health.

Qwerry    18
12 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Shikimori Seiichiro from Isegahama. Shikimori Seisuke (also 03.2000) from Miyagino...

How much assistants has Tate?

Kintamayama    22,373
3 minutes ago, Qwerry said:

Shikimori Seiichiro from Isegahama. Shikimori Seisuke (also 03.2000) from Miyagino...

How much assistants has Tate?

I don't know, but it seems plausible that he has a few. Anyhow..

Asashosakari    11,031

Lower division withdrawals per Day 3:

Sd51e Nishiyama (no-show Day 2)
Sd64e Fujikawa (kimetaoshi loss Day 1)
Jd49e Uminishiki (yoritaoshi loss Day 2)
Jd60e Ayaminato (oshidashi loss Day 1)
Jd80w Nonaka (no-show Day 2)
Jd84w Harada (no-show Day 2)

The Fujikawa and Uminishiki kimarite are the kinds I don't like to read in connection with a kyujo announcement...

Kintamayama    22,373

On a related note, does anybody know how Fukurou is doing? I am somewhat worried- I don't like these sudden disappearances.

Pandaazuma    882
9 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

On a related note, does anybody know how Fukurou is doing? I am somewhat worried- I don't like these sudden disappearances.

I was wondering the same. Not heard anything here.

Fukurou    442

I am sorry for the sudden disappearance guys.  Lots of bad things have happened recently in RL (fortunately not to me) and I have to help deal with the aftermath (bad things included 2 family deaths straddling the Xmas holidays). It turned out I am able to get my game picks in (I don't spend a lot of time with that, as my results show) but I'm not able to do the status updates this time around. You're all doing well on that without me though. Just don't forget to check for the late withdrawals!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 6