Yubinhaad

Kyujo Updates - 2018 Hatsu

47 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Can't say I didn't see this coming at some point, but fear we may have seen the last of him in the upper division.  If that knee is still this bad then the road to recovery doesn't seem that short even if he just withdrew from everything until healthy.  Amazing to think that Basho with he and Kisenosato battling it out was one short year ago

How sad. I really hope he takes time off now before he's too late in his career to make a recovery, but he's quickly going the way of Baruto. Before his original injury I really thought he could be somebody to consistently challenge Hakuho. I certainly hope he doesn't try coming back in a few days like Aoiyama did last time. 

He could have been so much better, and should have taken the time off earlier on when he was injured instead of having aggravated it beyond repair. Now in a span of less than four basho he will have gone from ozeki to juryo. A most unfortunate end to what could have been a promising career, he really was fun to watch when he was in tip top shape.

Rikishi who didn't show up yesterday

Nishikifuji-Ms23

Orora-Sd77

Wakasenryu-Sd88

Does anyone know what happened to Orora?

I know this is so late, but I watched mbovo's second day broadcast on twitch, skipping to the matches only, and saw in between was Takanoiwa giving an interview, crying and all. Has he intai-ed? Have I missed anything major? Why no discussion about it in the forum, as far as I have looked? 

40 minutes ago, d_golem said:

I know this is so late, but I watched mbovo's second day broadcast on twitch, skipping to the matches only, and saw in between was Takanoiwa giving an interview, crying and all. Has he intai-ed? Have I missed anything major? Why no discussion about it in the forum, as far as I have looked? 

Everything you see of an injured/battered/sad Takanoiwa (with tears of happiness) is from years ago (and that one photo that may have had a bit of photoshop treatment)

Edited by Akinomaki

Day 5, withdrawals:

Mk5e Toyonoshima
Mk23w Nishikifuji
Sd77e Orora
Sd88e Wakasenryu

Returning:

Jd60e Ayaminato (withdrew Day 3)
Jd84w Harada (fusenpai Day 2, withdrew Day 3)

8 hours ago, Yukiarashi said:

Does anyone know what happened to Orora?

He was holding his left hand or wrist after hitting the deck at the end of his first bout.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 16:01, Yubinhaad said:

Sd90w Tsunekawa
Jd87e Watatani

Arashio-beya reports that Tsunekawa is suffering from osteoarthritis of the elbow, while Watatani has a medial meniscus injury in the left knee.

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, d_golem said:

Probably wasn't Takanolwa. Soutairyuu perhaps..

I'm expecting we'll hear something today about Chiyotairyu . His leg totally gave out against Shodai. Shodai barely touched him.  I hope it isn't serious.

• Like 1

On ‎16‎. ‎1‎. ‎2018 at 05:23, Yukiarashi said:

How sad. I really hope he takes time off now before he's too late in his career to make a recovery, but he's quickly going the way of Baruto. Before his original injury I really thought he could be somebody to consistently challenge Hakuho. I certainly hope he doesn't try coming back in a few days like Aoiyama did last time. 

It was too late like 10 months ago

1 hour ago, Rocks said:

I'm expecting we'll hear something today about Chiyotairyu . His leg totally gave out against Shodai. Shodai barely touched him.  I hope it isn't serious.

Yeah those types of injuries are scary, body just giving out and unable to support his movement.  Could also tell Shodai knew something was wrong too, not your normal slippiotoshi

1 hour ago, Jaynestown said:

Yeah those types of injuries are scary, body just giving out and unable to support his movement.  Could also tell Shodai knew something was wrong too, not your normal slippiotoshi

And yet he got up and walked away with no limp.

51 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Yeah, hopefully only his pride is hurt.  Never want to see injuries

• Like 1

Hakuho has withdrawn. It's on the NSK website. M2w Kotoshogiku gets the fusen win.

Edited by Bumpkin

Yokozuna Hakuhou out with a toe injury-two weeks to heal. Kotoshougiku gets the freebie. He injured the left toe in yesterday's bout against Yoshikaze. It appears he injured his right toe as well before day 1 during training , but soldiered on. "Yesterday, the toe was swollen. He told me he wanted to wrestle today.. Doing serious sumo is the duty of a yokozuna and this is embarrassing, so I think it is better if he fully recovers. He also feels he now looks forward to Osaka in March. There is no jungyo in February, so he will be able to rest well.." said his Oyakata Miyagino. It's his seventh career kyujo.

43 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

two weeks to heal.

Taka will demand that he sits out the Haru basho

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Which is giving me hope. Sometimes, especially if a person had prior knee ligament problems, knee just gives up under heavy dynamic pressure, but mostly it doesn't carry any further damage than the slip/trip. Let's hope for the best

2 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Taka will demand that he sits out the Haru basho

But maybe if Hak finally got his indoors scarf...

I think this is a strong signal by Hakuho, while assuming that a year ago, he would have still tried for two or three more bouts. To me it reads like "If this is how I'm treated, I will take full control of my privileges." Admittedly, he didn't look focused in his first two bouts either, so you could add "Mental exhaustion in conjunction with frustration threshold bruise; eight weeks to heal" to the diagnosis.

Nothing of this will end well, of course, says my personal reality advisor.

11 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

I think this is a strong signal by Hakuho, while assuming that a year ago, he would have still tried for two or three more bouts. To me it reads like "If this is how I'm treated, I will take full control of my privileges." Admittedly, he didn't look focused in his first two bouts either, so you could add "Mental exhaustion in conjunction with frustration threshold bruise; eight weeks to heal" to the diagnosis.

Nothing of this will end well, of course, says my personal reality advisor.

Since his promotion to Yokozuna, Hakuho has always pulled out if he gets two early losses. If this happens a year ago, I think he still pulls out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sakura said:

Since his promotion to Yokozuna, Hakuho has always pulled out if he gets two early losses. If this happens a year ago, I think he still pulls out.

Fair enough. I may have succumbed to an information bias.