Burajirotono

Your "hearts banzuke"?

Yatagarasu    54

I haven't banzuke'd my list, and stress that it's my heart list, rather than the rikishi who I necessarily think are most skilled or who I think are most likely to succeed.  

On my heart list:

Ura - I love this little guy. Works hard to overcome his height disadvantage to compensate in other ways and I like that he's pushing the boundaries of what is 'traditional' sumo.  I love the fact that he is an actual gymnast; some early footage of him is incredible and, until his injury, could still perform a backflip.  While he's top of my heart list, I'm not so biased that I can't see his technical flaws. Even if he was fully fit I doubt he'd go beyond sekiwake but he is also now vulnerable due to his injury. His favourite moves also became a little predictable in his last two basho, which is in part how he busted and re-busted the ACL in the first place.  I hope he has the patience (and lack of pressure) to sit out until fully recovered.

Yoshikaze - the embodiment of fighting spirit.  I heart him a lot.  Despite his age or the rank of whoever is in front of him, he gives it everything in every single match.  If you can still recognise him on day 8 he isn't trying hard enough!  I don't think he'll go to ozeki but he's fun to watch and gives solid restaurant recommendations on Twitter. 

Ikioi - his elbow injury has been a problem lately, and I doubt he'd ever make sannyaku, but he's a likeable chap, very funny and always tries hard.  

Tamawashi - got to admire any rikishi who likes to spend his spare time refining his baking skills!  

Hokutofuji - I personally like his style and seems to be bright too, so has a wisdom beyond his years.  He's one of the few rikishi I believe when he does the whole humble modesty thing in interviews and is very likeable.  I hope he does well.

Abi - he's been impressive, consistent and clean.  I hope he storms makuuchi.

Honourable mention to sly old dog Aminishiki.  He used to annoy me but I admire his bounce back to makuuchi, particularly on account of his age.  Credit where it's due.  

On my hit list:

Takayasu - I actually really hate this guy after I saw footage of him in a keiko session.  While I accept that keiko is no picnic, even for makuuchi, and there has to be some 'tough love' to strengthen the mental and physical stamina of the young ones, he revealed a streak of cruelty towards a boy that I thoroughly disliked.  He is the only rikishi that I actively like to see lose.  

Hakuhou - I fully recognise that he is a monster record breaker.  But what can I say?  I just don't like him.  He seems arrogant, petulant and unpleasant and I hate him overusing slapping.  

Takakeisho - again, I recognise he has had some good results, but I just don't like him.  

Goeido - Henka city.  I know it's a legal move, but to me it's unimaginative and lazy for his rank and I don't respect that.  He'd go up in my estimations if he improved his repertoire.

Takagenji - genuinely surprised that others here dislike him too!

Chiyonokuni - Admittedly his place on this list is a joke.  I don't actually dislike him, but every time I see him I think of the documentary about him and his wife, in which his wife complained that he regularly floods their bathroom by getting into a full bathtub.  He even did a demonstration for the show - 'cascades' would be an understatement!  Don't do that, dude!  (Laughing...)

Honourable mention for Chiyoshouma, whose matta shenanigans and gratuitous slapping last basho really got under my skin.  Ishiura also annoys me - there just seems to be a swagger to him that I don't like; I didn't feel sorry for him when he got demoted to juryo as I think makuuchi had gone to his head a little. Maybe literally being knocked down a few pegs has been enriching for him for his return.  
  • Like 2

Gurowake    1,495
8 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:
Takagenji - genuinely surprised that others here dislike him too!

He seems to have no respect for the system, and his oyakata doesn't seem too bothered to try to instill some in him.  And gee, another Takanohana-beya sekitori had something serious happen to him after showing a lack of respect.  At least Takakeisho seems fine.

• Like 1

Benihana    500

Aminishiki will forever be my Yokozuna E of hearts. There will never be anyone like him again. Same for Yokozuna W Takamisakari.

Morty    658

In no particular order, my favourites are Kotoshogiku, Yoshikaze, Kisenosato, Hakuho, Endo and Tochinoshin. I like all of these for different reasons, some for the individuals and some for their skills. For example, I accept that Hak engages in some questionable behaviour, but it is an absolute privilege to watch him do his thing. He is demonstrably so much better than everyone else. For Endo I like his balance, for Yosh and the Geek and Kise and Tochinoshin their heart and perseverence. 

I have a soft spot for Okinoumi and Chiyotairyu but both are extremely frustrating to watch because the often lose when they should win.

I used to not like Gagamaru much but after he cried when he got his kinboshi I started to like him and now I go for him all the time.

Of the new guys I really like Mitakeumi and Hokutofuji but I need to watch people for a while to really cement them as favourites. I suspect both of these will become my solid favourites before too long, and I am convinced Mitakeumi will be the next Ozeki.

There is no-one I actively dislike. I respect them all for getting  up there and their skills and the entertainment they provide. The last rikishi I actively disliked was Asa, because he was such a complete jerk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

On my hit list:

Takayasu - I actually really hate this guy after I saw footage of him in a keiko session.  While I accept that keiko is no picnic, even for makuuchi, and there has to be some 'tough love' to strengthen the mental and physical stamina of the young ones, he revealed a streak of cruelty towards a boy that I thoroughly disliked.  He is the only rikishi that I actively like to see lose. 

I think I know which footage you're talking about - I saw it too quite a while ago. Until then I used to like Takayasu because of the fierceness he displayed. Watching his behaviour changed my mind pretty thoroughly.

• Like 1

chishafuwaku    345

My first enemy of each basho is the one that puts me out of the Chain Gang (Ranting...)

(In the last 10 bashos I was eliminated on the first day in 9 of them and in the other on the 2nd day)

ARE YOU LISTENING MITORYU ???

Yatagarasu    54
10 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Anyone have a link to that footage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4oXH-auCMc

I guess posting this might risk a whole other debate on possible cultural differences and whether this is 'normal' for butsukari or whether it goes on behind closed doors when the cameras are off.  But dragging someone up off the floor by the chonmage (admittedly it wasn't Takayasu who did this but Takanoyama) is not cool to say the least.  

• Thanks 1

Yatagarasu    54
18 hours ago, Benihana said:

Same for Yokozuna W Takamisakari.

His reaction after his kinboshi against Asashoryu was probably the only sporting occasion that has moved me to tears.  

Joaoiyama    38

Don't think that Takayasu or Takanoyama were too rough on the guy, he couldn't push Takayasu 1 time without falling down so he was just tired and they put him under pressure, i do admit those axe kicks weren't needed but it's probably the same or less punishment than any other rikishi endured, butsukari is more mental than physical.

Burajirotono    75
On 12/01/2018 at 18:09, Akinomaki said:

My top rank - favorite rikishi who stay there and won't get demoted - for a long time was occupied by Hakuho alone, since he became ozeki - I still remember having been the only enthusiastic Hakuho fan on the SML among the blue wolf pack as he was promoted to yokozuna. Ichinojo took the top spot from him as he stormed into makuuchi, and it has stayed this way ever since. 

Cool Akinomaki! Lets found a fanclub for Ichi! He dont deserves but lets do it anyway!

On 12/01/2018 at 21:56, sekitori said:

Endo's "mediocre" sumo is primarily a result of the stupidity (let's charitably call it ignorance) of his advisors concerning his torn ACL. They suggested that he avoid knee surgery which medical experts state is an absolute necessity to continue activities where extreme stress in placed on the knee. They instead opted for natural healing which would not drop him nearly as far down the banzuke as post-op rehab would. They were correct in that he didn't drop down as far as he would have if his knee was rehabbed after surgery. What they got completely wrong was that their extremely poor decision has caused his knee to be permanently weakened.  

Endo at one time was touted to be the next Japanese yokozuna. He's now nothing more than a decent mid-maegashira rikishi. He could still possibly reach sanyaku for a basho or two, but he will never be the outstanding rikishi that people once predicted he would be.

Endo doesn't bother me at all. I personally feel very sorry for him. On the other hand his advisors, who made a terrible decision which greatly harmed his once promising career, bother the hell out of me.

I guess you are right. So many great promises ruined by injuries. 

But i still dont like him.

On 12/01/2018 at 22:16, Kintamayama said:

Abi O Hakuhou

The rest are all my sons.

So....Kintamayama does not hate Hakuhou afterall! Could the youtube commenters be wrong???? The wisemen of youtube comments box? im shock!

Congrats for your sons. You really looks just like them all Papa Kinta.

On 13/01/2018 at 14:39, Gurowake said:

Feel free to hate on me for totally missing the point of this thread, I'm used to it for things like this.

Sorry, i cant hate a godzilla´s fan. Who cares about thread points anyway?

Kintamayama    19,555
3 hours ago, Burajirotono said:

So....Kintamayama does not hate Hakuhou afterall! Could the youtube commenters be wrong???? The wisemen of youtube comments box? im shock!

The "wise" men don't know everything. When you call out their favorite God for being a dick every now and then, they come to their own idiotic conclusions. Hakuhou has always been at the top of my list, but that doesn't mean that I have to like EVERYTHING he says or does all the time. What I do hate is blind patriotic support that can't take someone else's view. That's all it is, one person's view. Don't believe what you read. Anybody that knows me a bit knows I can't and don't hate any rikishi, not even Takagenji. Hate is not a word in my lexicon. It's raining again.

• Like 4

Bumpkin    279
12 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Anybody that knows me a bit knows I can't and don't hate any rikishi, not even Takagenji. Hate is not a word in my lexicon.

Wise words from a wise man.

Yukiarashi    45

I love/like all of the rikishi, even ones I criticize a lot like Hakuho, Takagenji, and Takanohana. Some a lot more than others. I'm glad we have a topic like this. Unless they do something truly ungodly, like Tokitsukaze or ex-Kanechika, most end up on my "list" for only a day or so. As for a banzuke here is mine:

Yokozunas-Satoyama, Arawashi, Yoshikaze, and Abi -----I all love for their underdog sumo, fantastic technique, and easy going personalities. Satoyama might be the one rikishi I've never wanted to get beat. He is the Hakuho Dai-Yokozuna of my brain. His spectacular submarine technique produces such spectacular throws, his Ipponzeoi a few years ago , and his sudden resurgence going seven years between Makuuchi bashos really made me support him. Arawashi reminds me a lot of Harumafuji with his speed, lack of size, and spectacular technique. He is the ultimate underdog in upper Makuuchi taking over eleven years to reach the division. His defeat of Hakuho was one of my favorite most shocking bouts I've ever seen. I love the salt in the mawashi too. Yoshikaze fights are absolutely nuts! His insane fighting style of "face first", late rise to Sanyaku, and incredible record against upper Sanyaku rikishi is what I love about him. He has no fear of slapping Yokozunas senseless and goes neck and neck with them every time he fights. Abi is the newest one for me recently completing his tsuna-run. He also does small sumo well and I love his short name. What really won me over was how excited he was to win the Juryo yusho and his pre-bout stretches. 

Ozekis-Chiyonokuni, Ishiura, Terutsuyoshi-----Chiyonokuni is Yoshikaze 2.0 minus the upsets. He should be "flying monkey" in addition to Tobizaru. His bouts all have maximum effort and insanity when he fights. Ishiura and Terutsuyoshi are two more tiny guys with brilliant technique. Terutsuyoshi is on a tsuna-run.

The rest.....

Ones I'm not to big of a fan of-

Hakuho---I have a lot of respect for his dominance and technique, but I am just annoyed by him. I wouldn't want him gone as someone defeating him brings the most excitement in a tournament day for me as he's the only Yokozuna who doesn't usually give away Kinboshis like holiday gift baskets. Some of his dameoshis are just brutal or disgusting. Examples Ichinojo, Homasho and Yoshikaze Nagoya 2014. His self called monoii last time just took it over the line for me. Some of his reactions when he loses are just getting strange lately. He's not an Asashoryu level tool but his arrogance, and his lack of respect for rikishi beating him has really gotten on my nerves. Seriously, what lesson does he teach? Don't defeat the Dai-Yokozuna? Plus his lecturing caused Harumafuji to fly off the handle too. I'm honestly kind of glad the YDC is all over him after all those "stern warnings" for many years.

Takagenji---The one rikishi Hakuho should teach a lesson too... BOW!!!!

Wakaebala    55

Wow,  this is an interesting thread. Before I share my list, I'd like to write about a personal conversation on this forum between @Tenshinhan and myself. This was about one and a half years ago. I asked my dear sumo-friend Tenshinhan about who is his favourite rikishi, and in his answer he told me about a very fine way of enjoying sumo. He told me (and I hope he won't be offended by me sharing a piece of his words from our previous personal correspondance):

"I can tell you that some bashos ago, I was always very angry if (in my eyes) the wrong rikishi had won the bout (...) Then I recognized that I couldn't really enjoy the bouts anymore if I am too focused on who I picked for a win in a sumo game. That was when I decided to become more relaxed in this topic. I want to have fun while watching sumo and these games give you a headache if you think about them most of the time. And they are very much based on luck anyway..."

This train of thought changed my way of watching sumo. I've become more curious about the happenings of the sumo world than my own fantasy list of my favourite rikishi. 
But then again: I cannot be judged for liking one rikishi more than another.
So, of course, I have my preferences, but I don't - after these wise thoughts from our great Tenshinhan - feel the urge to be sad or angry if my favourite had just lost. I am too 'became more relaxed'! :) (Exception: Ura has been a gamechanger, I feel somewhat angry about his injury, and hoping for his full recovery soon!)

But of course I have a heart, so I decided to make a list of my favourite rikishi. Remember: this list is totally subjective, it goes without any rational cause, but I think that's the aim of the whole thread, and that's why I think it's rather interesting.

Ura                       Y1               Yoshikaze
Tochinoshin       Y2              Osunaarashi
Hakuho               O1                Sokokurai
Kaisei                  O2                  Onosho
Mitakeumi           S                  Hokutofuji
Takakeisho          K                  Takayasu
Kisenosato         M1                 Shodai
Shohozan           M2                Aminishiki
Okinoumi            M3                     Ikioi
Tochiozan           M4                Terunofuji
Ishiura                 M5                Chiyoshoma
Arawashi             M6                Chiyonokuni

This is my fantasy list. 

Ps. I wrote Ura is a gamechanger. But he is not the only one. I feel that 'changing the guards' also means changing the game. Onosho, Takakeisho,  Mitakeumi - they are also changing the game of sumo. They all prefer oshi-sumo, and this had became very clear this basho. They ARE changing the game on their own ways. I think sumo has became totally fascinating last year. I feel like I'm part of history while watching these bouts! 

Edited by Wakaebala