Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Hatsu Day 1 match-ups

Kintamayama    19,945

Ura, Takanoiwa and Toyohibiki |(who may be joining later) are out. I would be utterly amazed if all three Yokozunae will win on day 1. Very difficult matchups for them, especially for the rusty ones.

Maegashira #17
Daiamami
(0-0)
_hWYDlkwNRQ2A3MCyC6mVo2zEw_2b-lrBXrFzBkZ   _hWYDlkwNRQ2A3MCyC6mVo2zEw_2b-lrBXrFzBkZ
Maegashira #16
Asanoyama
(0-0)
Maegashira #16
Ryuuden
(0-0)
_hWYDlkwNRQ2A3MCyC6mVo2zEw_2b-lrBXrFzBkZ   _hWYDlkwNRQ2A3MCyC6mVo2zEw_2b-lrBXrFzBkZ
Maegashira #15
Nishikigi
(0-0)
Maegashira #15
Ishiura
(0-0)
Maegashira #14
Yutakayama
(0-0)
Maegashira #14
Abi
(0-0)
Maegashira #13
Daieishou
(0-0)
Maegashira #13
Takekaze
(0-0)
Maegashira #12
Kagayaki
(0-0)
Maegashira #12
Soukokurai
(0-0)
Maegashira #11
Daishoumaru
(0-0)
Maegashira #11
Kotoyuuki
(0-0)
Maegashira #10
Aminishiki
(0-0)
Maegashira #10
Terunofuji
(0-0)
Maegashira #9
Chiyomaru
(0-0)
Maegashira #9
Shouhouzan
(0-0)
Maegashira #8
Kaisei
(0-0)
Maegashira #8
Tochiouzan
(0-0)
Maegashira #7
Chiyonokuni
(0-0)
Maegashira #7
Chiyoshouma
(0-0)
Maegashira #6
Ikioi
(0-0)
Maegashira #6
Takarafuji
(0-0)
Maegashira #5
Endou
(0-0)
Maegashira #5
Okinoumi
(0-0)
Maegashira #4
Arawashi
(0-0)
Maegashira #4
Shoudai
(0-0)
Maegashira #3
Tochinoshin
(0-0)
Maegashira #3
Chiyotairyuu
(0-0)
Sekiwake
Tamawashi
(0-0)
Sekiwake
Mitakeumi
(0-0)
Maegashira #2
Kotoshougiku
(0-0)
Maegashira #2
Yoshikaze
(0-0)
Ozeki
Takayasu
(0-0)
Ozeki
Goueidou
(0-0)
Maegashira #1
Ichinojou
(0-0)
Yokozuna
Kakuryuu
(0-0)
Maegashira #1
Hokutofuji
(0-0)
Komusubi
Takakeishou
(0-0)
Yokozuna
Kisenosato
(0-0)
Yokozuna
Hakuhou
(0-0)
Komusubi
Oonoshou
(0-0)

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Akoushousan    1

Indeed - the match-designers offer us probably one of the most exciting tournament kick-offs that I can recall!

VirtualSumo    3

Brilliant!  This is the most excited ive been before a Grand Tournament in years!  For what its worth, and I don't claim that is much at all, I'm expecting the three Yokozunae to triumph on day 1 and do well in this honbasho.  Obviously I'm just guessing that they are over their injuries - based on hope not inside knowledge.  I'm looking forward to Gueido - Ichinojo.  Gueido has been the most consistent and seems "on the verge" of a breakthrough and I'm intrigued to see how an even larger Inchinojo is going to capitalise on further weight "advantage".  So exciting!

• Like 1

orandashoho    433
1 hour ago, VirtualSumo said:

Gueido has been the most consistent and seems "on the verge" of a breakthrough

Now I'm definitely sure you're talking about a different person.
Breakthrough? Consistent? Only if you call two kachikoshis in a row consistant, or his ability to hold on his Ozeki rank jojoing between kadoban and yusho.

Edited by orandashoho
  • Like 3

VirtualSumo    3

You're right Orandashoho, i'm stretching the use of the word "consistent"!  But for the last two tournaments he started really well with a string of wins (after opening day loss in September when he got sidestepped at the tachiai) and both times I thought he was going to go on a mount a serious double figure score.  His showing in those spells made me think a second yusho might happen.  Two things are consistent though: my optimism for him and his failure to go on after the first week.  Only one positive score after week one in the last four (and that was 5-3).

Atenzan    671
1 hour ago, orandashoho said:

Now I'm definitely sure you're talking about a different person

He's talking about Gueido, not Goueidou, so that could be the case. 

• Like 3

Kawabata    46
4 hours ago, Akoushousan said:

Indeed - the match-designers offer us probably one of the most exciting tournament kick-offs that I can recall!

Seconded, can't wait! Hopefully they can keep it up, but it seems it should be doable with such a competitive Joi for this Basho (as long as everyone brings their A game of course). But day 1 at least looks set to be a stormer (fingers heavily crossed)

Yubinhaad    6,639

Toyohibiki is kyujo due to arrhythmia, which began about a week ago.

Satonofuji will continue as yumitori-shiki performer this basho.

Atenzan    671
51 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Toyohibiki is kyujo due to arrhythmia, which began about a week ago.

Satonofuji will continue as yumitori-shiki performer this basho.

Is he expected to be relieved of his duties? Pity... but with Harumafuji retired I see why.

Sakura    229
9 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Ura, Takanoiwa and Toyohibiki |(who may be joining later) are out. I would be utterly amazed if all three Yokozunae will win on day 1. Very difficult matchups for them,. especially for the rusty ones.

Of all the rikishi ranked above Komusubi, only Hakuho and Mitakeumi have positive head-to-heads against their Day 1 opponents. It might be difficult for more than just the Yokozuna.

• Like 1

Amamaniac    129

Given the matchups for the three Yokozunas, the heat is definitely on!  On any given day, Hakuho should be able to handle Onosho.  But the other two Yokozunas will definitely have their hands full.  My concern is that if persistent injuries and nerves affect their performances and they end up losing their Day 1 bouts, it will be a serious setback to their confidence levels.  Then again, if they end up winning, that will be a big confidence boost!  The way torikumi are decided follow a basic principle that has IMHO worked well over the years.  This will be a pivotal tournament for Kisenosato and Kakuryu.  Let's see if they still have some Yokozuna left in them!

• Like 4

Bumpkin    315
2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

This will be a pivotal tournament for Kisenosato and Kakuryu.  Let's see if they still have some Yokozuna left in them!

Exactly! My predictions - Kisenosato will not be able to recover from his arm injury and will go kyujo. Kakuryu will struggle but finish 10-5. Hakuho - zensho yusho!

Kintamayama    19,945
5 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Given the matchups for the three Yokozunas, the heat is definitely on!  On any given day, Hakuho should be able to handle Onosho.  

It's not any given day this time. He seems to be surprisingly preoccupied with the YDC's demand that he do "better looking sumo befitting of a Yokozuna". He mentioned it countless times in  the last few days and says he wants to change that. A little hesitation at the tachiai and Oonoshou will be all over him.

• Like 2

Rocks    672

Takakeishou is due for a MK. I expect an easy win for Kisenosato Day 1. 

Oonoshou isn't ready for Hakuho mentally yet but Hakuho still needs to not make a mistake.

Kakuryuu is toast against Hokutofuji.

Amamaniac    129
57 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

It's not any given day this time. He seems to be surprisingly preoccupied with the YDC's demand that he do "better looking sumo befitting of a Yokozuna". He mentioned it countless times in  the last few days and says he wants to change that. A little hesitation at the tachiai and Oonoshou will be all over him.

You make an interesting/very important point (wouldn't expect anything less).  But I get the feeling that Hakuho may still be miffed by all the criticism being hurled his way, and the best way to silence his critics is to be dominant in the ring.  He may also want to make a statement following the departure of friend and rival Harumafuji.  A lot will depend on his physical status as well...  And as for Yokozuna sumo, Hakuho's yorikiri offensive is second to none IMHO.

Edited by Amamaniac

MumboJumbo    27

Ehhhhh, Oonoshou might get the jump on Hakuho if Hakuho attempts to do "good" sumo, but Oonoshou will probably just slip again....

• Like 1

Katooshu    448

I really doubt that a simple slap is the difference between a Hakuho and an Onosho. 

Edited by Katooshu

Kintamayama    19,945
2 hours ago, Katooshu said:

I really doubt that a simple slap is the difference between a Hakuho and an Onosho. 

I doubt that too. But changing his plans after doing it this way for quite a while may cause some tension. We shall see. And I wouldn't underestimate Ounoshou. If he hadn't been over-eager last basho and slipped a few times, he would have ended with a 10-5 at least. With experience and time, he will be a force to reckon with and more. This guy is for real.

• Like 1

Joaoiyama    47
11 hours ago, Rocks said:

Takakeishou is due for a MK. I expect an easy win for Kisenosato Day 1. 

Taka imo will do better than Onosho, his body is perfect for his sumo and that makes him such a force, a very underestimated prospect.

Atenzan    671
1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

I doubt that too. But changing his plans after doing it this way for quite a while may cause some tension. We shall see. And I wouldn't underestimate Ounoshou. If he hadn't been over-eager last basho and slipped a few times, he would have ended with a 10-5 at least. With experience and time, he will be a force to reckon with and more. This guy is for real.

Yeah, if you force a player of any game/sport to do or not do something it completely messes up his routine and mindset. 

I remember a certain invitational tournament I played in (9 ball pool) where they made us wear plastic bracelets during the matches. Really sticky, thick, rubbery abominations. The sticky was the main problem. I later took immense satisfaction in shredding it with a handsaw. They had the tournament director taking pictures of us for the pool hall's Facebook page or something and they really wanted the publicity. 

Everyone played like dogshit. There wasn't a single player that wasn't put off his game. Players were debating whether wearing the bracelet on your back wrist or your bridge wrist was less off-putting, how can you adjust your stroke so that the bracelet is less of a factor etc. We couldn't focus on our game at all because of the damn bracelet rubbing on our minds as well as on our forearms.  

• Like 1

Rocks    672
2 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

Taka imo will do better than Onosho, his body is perfect for his sumo and that makes him such a force, a very underestimated prospect.

Don't get me wrong. I think he's great.  He just seems to have a pattern of KK, KK, MK since reaching the sekitori. Which isn't bad at all. 

Joaoiyama    47
46 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Don't get me wrong. I think he's great.  He just seems to have a pattern of KK, KK, MK since reaching the sekitori. Which isn't bad at all. 

Indeed that's a pattern but there's more to it than just numbers, Taka's first "sanyaku" basho was at m1 he went 5-10 struggling in all his bouts against joi, his second run at m1 was almost the opposite, he handled everyone and even his losses were competitive(Onosho won their second encounter via hairtakikomi (Laughing...)) so TK is now ready for everyone in the top rankings, so dont be surprised with a double digit performance.