Kawabata

Long time lurker, first time poster

Kawabata    142

Hello sumo forum, 

I decided it was finally time to register an account in time for Hatsu, I've lurked here a while though only really got into Sumo about a year ago. I got into it in a big way though

Anyway, I thought it was really about time I starting thanking people here for the amazing content and info they put up about all things sumo, so here I am

:)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

orandashoho    523

Welcome to the Forum, Kawabata!
This is the place to be when you are a location-handicapped foreigner.

• Haha 1

Kawabata    142
3 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

Welcome to the Forum, Kawabata!
This is the place to be when you are a location-handicapped foreigner.

Thanks!

Definitely that, currently checking the streaming threads and hoping my VPN will work on Abema... 

I still live in hope that I'll find a Japanese bar here somewhere that broadcasts the basho, but the time difference doesn't really work in my favour :/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Kawabata said:

I still live in hope that I'll find a Japanese bar here somewhere that broadcasts the basho, but the time difference doesn't really work in my favour :/

Greetings from another relative newcomer in the UK. Finding a bar that would be open at 7 in the morning to watch the sumo is a bit of a reach :) @Kintamayama's videos are the way to go.

Kawabata    142
57 minutes ago, The Fat Cyclist said:

@Kintamayama's videos are the way to go.

Well of course, I wouldn't miss them! (looking forward to font day already) His and Jason's videos are what got me into Sumo in the first place as well :)

I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for anything @mbovo does though as his streams were amazing last basho (thank you for those mbovo!)

• Like 1

Kawabata    142

Question to anyone who knows more than me here (i.e. everyone/anyone)

How do you react to posts? Do I need a minimum number of comments before that feature is unlocked? Or am i just doing something wrong/missing something obvious?

Very keen to start dishing out small trophy icons and hearts everywhere :)

• Like 1

Yatagarasu    279
2 hours ago, The Fat Cyclist said:

Greetings from another relative newcomer in the UK. Finding a bar that would be open at 7 in the morning to watch the sumo is a bit of a reach :) @Kintamayama's videos are the way to go.

Hello both from the UK!  Clearly we have identified a gap in the market...Japanese-themed sumo bar in London anyone?

Akinomaki    17,923
2 hours ago, Kawabata said:

Question to anyone who knows more than me here (i.e. everyone/anyone)

How do you react to posts? Do I need a minimum number of comments before that feature is unlocked? Or am i just doing something wrong/missing something obvious?

Very keen to start dishing out small trophy icons and hearts everywhere :)

Maybe you need to become a regular member? - it says inactive member for your group.

Depending on your browser/system, you might not be able to see the grey heart symbol that marks the options for reactions - I can't see it here with the old Firefox on win10, but I know where it is and can still use it - on the right side across the position of the quote button.

Kawabata    142
1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Maybe you need to become a regular member? - it says inactive member for your group.

Depending on your browser/system, you might not be able to see the grey heart symbol that marks the options for reactions - I can't see it here with the old Firefox on win10, but I know where it is and can still use it - on the right side across the position of the quote button.

Thank @Akinomaki possibly then it is the active/inactive member issue. I can see where the Reaction bit should be when I inspect the page with dev tools, but the element is greyed out and doesn't show for me on chrome or firefox. I thought it might at first be a browser issue, but it seems to really not be there for me.

Is becoming an active member a matter of simply posting more? (I'm guessing yes), apologies for all the questions!

Kawabata    142
2 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Hello both from the UK!  Clearly we have identified a gap in the market...Japanese-themed sumo bar in London anyone?

Well I'd definitely be there, though I could see trade dipping a bit every other month unfortunately! (Laughing...)

Still there's actually a dedicated Saki bar thats opened near me recently, so I'm going to pop in there next week and see if they have a telly and an inclination to show Kintamayama's videos!

Atenzan    758

Welcome! If you don't mind me asking, what is the kanji spelling/meaning of your shikona? 

Kawabata    142
1 hour ago, McBugger said:

Welcome! If you don't mind me asking, what is the kanji spelling/meaning of your shikona? 

My name is a homage to Kawabata Makoto, one of the founder members of probably (its hard to be definitive about these things I find) my favourite band, so no deep meaning I'm afraid. I wasn't confident enough to give myself a proper shikona without fear of butchering it horribly...

• Like 1

Yatagarasu    279
On 1/11/2018 at 13:01, Kawabata said:

Is becoming an active member a matter of simply posting more? (I'm guessing yes), apologies for all the questions!

I had a similar problem when I first joined. I found that it mysteriously ironed itself out after a while.  I think logging in and then logging out after each session (rather than signing in automatically) might have had something to do with it.  

• Like 1

Kawabata    142
On 1/12/2018 at 16:18, Yatagarasu said:

I had a similar problem when I first joined. I found that it mysteriously ironed itself out after a while.  I think logging in and then logging out after each session (rather than signing in automatically) might have had something to do with it.  

Yay, you are right! Everything seems to have sorted itself out now :)