Kintamayama

Videos and promo-Hatsu 2018-Days 1-15

3 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Okay, then, two days running I've noticed it: what's the 'ISP Match'?

This

• Thanks 1

If you keep mentioning the ISP match in your videos I think it will quickly become the most popular game. If 3% of your YouTube subscribers start playing that's about 370 people 

Edit: wait no, I stand corrected. 555 people. When did you get so popular? I was right when I called you a celebrity... 

Edited by McBugger
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Day 8:

Day 8 always produces such font memories. I like that you used what looks like The Brady Bunch font for the Kotoyuki match.

• Like 1

Font Day !!!

Bodoni would have been a great font for Ichinojo's chest to chest with Mitakeumi, and a M*A*S*H* for the slapfest between Tochinoshin and Yoshikaze... never mind absent Kisenosato and Hakuho, this is turning out to be such a great basho -- wide open races for the prizes, great matchups, super performances by all, Ichinojo and Tochinoshin in particular.

• Like 2

Day 9- an educational day, longer than usual video-I hope you enjoy it as much as I did editing it..

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9

The yobidashi: why they pretend to read from the white folding fan on which nothing is written? :-S

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

The yobidashi: why they pretend to read from the white folding fan on which nothing is written? :-S

Good question! ...and, I'm certain there's a reason.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

I always wondered whether that's where the lyrics are. Also, I didn't know the yobidashi were attached to heya, do they have a banzuke, and have drunken fights with other yobidashi?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dapeng said:

They don't pretend they are reading, some of them  are just looking at the fan, some aren't even doing that. Probably some of them feel they need to focus on something while they are singing. I never had the feeling they were pretending to read. 

• Like 2

Moto-tate-yobidashi Hideo Yamaki tells in his interesting little book of the "temochi" or cheat sheet that the yobidashi carry in their left hand. This is the cut-pasted rolled-up torikumi of the day that is handed from one yobidashi to the next with the done bouts trimmed off. The yobidashi looks at it before mounting the dohyo and can take a sneak peek at it while they're up there.

Yeah, it would be really embarrassing to sing "Game, Set and Match: Becker!" if they were in fact Stich's...

Edited by yorikiried by fate

For anyone with even less Japanese than I have - the Yobidashi is saying

Higashi (east) followed by the East Rikishi name twice, then turning, Nishi (west) followed by the West Riksihi name twice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

They don't pretend they are reading, some of them  are just looking at the fan, some aren't even doing that. Probably some of them feel they need to focus on something while they are singing. I never had the feeling they were pretending to read. 

it is a wabisabi thing?

I used to think the names were on it.  I think it would be cool if they were and the had a fan for each match and the winner of the match got to keep it. Hakuho would have like 1000 fans now.

1 hour ago, orandashoho said:

Moto-tate-yobidashi Hideo Yamaki tells in his interesting little book of the "temochi" or cheat sheet that the yobidashi carry in their left hand. This is the cut-pasted rolled-up torikumi of the day that is handed from one yobidashi to the next with the done bouts trimmed off. The yobidashi looks at it before mounting the dohyo and can take a sneak peek at it while they're up there.

Moti's video includes one of the yobidashi departing, and he can be seen passing the cheat sheet to the incoming yobidashi.

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I also kind of assume that it's a gesture of modesty that they don't turn up their heads and clearly look out into the audience, like a public speaker would. They're not referees, but like them they're also not meant to make themselves the center of attention.

4 hours ago, Millwood said:

For anyone with even less Japanese than I have - the Yobidashi is saying

Higashi (east) followed by the East Rikishi name twice, then turning, Nishi (west) followed by the West Riksihi name twice.

However, the repeating of the shikona only happens in sanyaku bouts. (And they start calling with the West side on the even days.)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, orandashoho said:

I enjoyed that book very much, there is also a passage were the author admits even he doesn't know why they use fans. 

I quite enjoy going to the early matches; as much to hear some of the younger yobidashi, several of whom have really powerful and beautiful announcing styles, as to see the 'up and comers.'

IMG_1896.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Godaiko said:

I enjoyed that book very much, there is also a passage were the author admits even he doesn't know why they use fans. 

I just checked Wikipedia,  it says the yobidash's folding fan is for blocking the saliva so it will not pollute the dohyo. 

5 hours ago, Dapeng said:

I just checked Wikipedia,  it says the yobidash's folding fan is for blocking the saliva so it will not pollute the dohyo. 

Well, then they should be holding the fans much lower and much closer to their mouths. No way saliva on the dohyo can be avoided the way they are holding the fans at the moment. Wikipedia aside, it sounds to me like a crock of manure, on the "you can't do sumo bald" and the "sumo wrestlers retract their testicles" scale, among other jewels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Well, then they should be holding the fans much lower and much closer to their mouths. No way saliva on the dohyo can be avoided the way they are holding the fans at the moment. Wikipedia aside, it sounds to me like a crock of manure, on the "you can't do sumo bald" and the "sumo wrestlers retract their testicles" scale, among other jewels.

It's just ceremonial, not for real, like tossing salt to sanitize the dohyo, etc. No actual effect. 

10 hours ago, Godaiko said:

I quite enjoy going to the early matches; as much to hear some of the younger yobidashi, several of whom have really powerful and beautiful announcing styles, as to see the 'up and comers.'

IMG_1896.JPG

Holy cow, the book's in English? We need a title, please. Must read. Well, maybe hthe earlier poster put it up and I missed it...