Sign in to follow this  
robnplunder

Kakuryu Intai Speculation

Kakuryu is 32 years old, and has won only 13 times in the last 6 basho.   He went partial or full kyujo in 5 of the last 6 basho.  Before that, he was the weakest yokozuna among them to begin with.  I am speculating that he can't fully recover to where he was a year ago when he got the yusho with 10-5 record.   How long can he keep this up before it becomes ridiculous to hang on?   I give no more than 3 bashos before he goes intai.   Perhaps, he would like to go out on a good note, with an yusho or a respectable basho (10 or more wins).  

4 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

How long can he keep this up before it becomes ridiculous to hang on?  

Ask Takanohana.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Asojima said:

Ask Takanohana.

Takanohana had much more illustrious Yokozuna career than Kak can only dream about.  I say Takanohana got the benefit of doubt that he deserved when he went kyujo for 7 straight basho before coming back with a jun-yusho.  

• Like 1

As long as he can perform equally or better than Kisenosato, he is safe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Well, someone should tell him, that the users of sumoforum.net unanimously think he's done and therefore should call it quits.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Well, someone should tell him, that the users of sumoforum.net unanimously think he's done and therefore should call it quits.

Nobody thinks he's done. I think if he does not deliver this time, he's done. So does his Oyakata Izutsu, BTW, who has repeated this publicly in no uncertain terms. And in no way is the forum unanimous, as you can see on this thread.

6 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Nobody thinks he's done.

*ahemm*

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

This basho is critical. If he drops out or sucks, he's done.

Can you define sucks? Makekoshi?

11 minutes ago, McBugger said:

Can you define sucks? Makekoshi?

Makekoshi will not happen. 8-7, maybe even 9-6. I don''t know-whatever Izutsu and the YDC say..

Kakuryu HAS to deliver if he is Healthy. but how long does the Kyokai will wait for him to compete as he has to do...

If he enters the basho i will have to stay in the Yusho race until mid-second week around 11 - 12 days at least. I think...

28 minutes ago, Benihana said:

*ahemm*

Well, I don't think he's done, so it ain't unanimous.. OTOH, if he doesn't do well this time..

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Makekoshi will not happen. 8-7, maybe even 9-6. I don''t know-whatever Izutsu and the YDC say..

I'd guess a small KK will be okay if he does well in the first week and the losses only come against the other top guys at the end.

He has to get at least 11 wins or he's in trouble, i think it will be Kak vs Kise this year to see who deserves to stay.

Isn't 10-5 the minimum W-L record for a Yokozuna?

6 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Isn't 10-5 the minimum W-L record for a Yokozuna?

It’s what is “expected” but not mandatory. I think there would be grumblings about worthiness if a yokozuna went 8-7, but unless it became a habit it would just be a crap basho and after the YDC chiding and apologizing for poor performance ended everyone would look to the next basho as usual.

17 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I am speculating that he can't fully recover to where he was a year ago when he got the yusho with 10-5 record.

I'm guessing this was a typo, but his yusho was 14-1. He did have a 10-5 the basho before that and another in March 2017.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

This basho is critical. If he drops out or sucks, he's done.

If he drops out or does very badly, I agree. But what happens if he doesn't compete at all? Takanohana was allowed to sit out seven consecutive bashos due to injury. Kakuryu dropped out very early in the Natsu and Nagoya bashos and didn't compete at all in the Aki and Kyushu bashos. That in effect is similar to not competing in four successive bashos. If Takanohana was allowed to miss seven bashos in a row, shouldn't Kakuryu be allowed to sit out one or two more before he is requested to retire? On the other hand, Kakuryu doesn't have nearly the stature that Takanohana had, and I guess that could influence any decision made with regard to asking for his retirement. 

Kakuryu's stablemaster Izutsu Oyakata has stated that Kakuryu must compete in Hatsu.

19 minutes ago, sekitori said:

But what happens if he doesn't compete at all? 

I think he will compete. but that is a good question.

48 minutes ago, just_some_guy said:

I'm guessing this was a typo, but his yusho was 14-1. He did have a 10-5 the basho before that and another in March 2017.

Thanks for catching it.

A lot depends on how his recovery is from the injuries he had.   Not only that, what kind of shape is he in?   Perhaps, people in the know here knows how he has been training.

What is expected of him -- a good win/loss balance with losses to Y/O only, certainly no losses against non-sanyaku. That means his result can be as low as 10-5. But if he gives away kinboshis, he'd have to beat a yokozuna to balance that or he is in danger.

Edited by orandashoho
typo

Y2e Kakuryu should face Y1e Hakuho, Y1w Kisenosato, O1e Goeido, O1w Takayasu, S1e Mitakeumi, S1w Tamawashi, K1e Takakeisho, K1w Onosho, M1e Hokutofuji, M1w Ichinojo, M2e Yoshikaze, M2w Kotoshogiku, M3e Chiyotairyu, M3w Tochinoshin and M4e Shodai. If he is able to get 10 wins, he deserves to remain a Yokozuna.

PS- The joi looks tough.

Sure, 10-5 would be good enough.   I say we won't see 9-6 or 8-7.  He will go kyujo before that.  Then, what?