Sign in to follow this  
robnplunder

Kakuryu Intai Speculation

26 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Sure, 10-5 would be good enough.   I say we won't see 9-6 or 8-7.  He will go kyujo before that.  Then, what?

Intai.

I agree that if he doesn't show good sumo, he's done. It's very difficult to see him get, say, an 8-7 and not be forced to retire. All the signs are there. At 9-6 or better, I think maybe they will give him the benefit of the doubt, even though it's a dreadful score for a yokozuna, because I don't expect Kisenosato to do well either.

If he completes the basho, he's not retiring and he won't be asked to. If the performance isn't there, he won't be completing the basho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what Izutsu Oyakata said in July:

”If he can’t win next time he steps on the dohyo, there will be no option to pull out midway. He would have to take the decision (to retire from the sport) as a man."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-sumo-japan-kakuryu/more-injury-woes-for-yokozuna-kakuryu-idUKKBN19X0TB

Edited by ryafuji
typo

Oh shit, my lap top gets ijury o vacatios ad some  letters   doset work aymore! :'-(

How ca i amuse you guys with my wisdom ow (iterrogatio poit is kaputt too!)

lesso of the week; dot mix drugs ad ooze with laptops! (Iamgoingoff-topic...)

Aout the lame pair of yokozuas; seems like Kakuryu have a etter chace the Kiseosato. I really thik the japaese yokozua is doe. ut the joi ji for jauary is ot so hard, we goa see a lot of kids ad washed up rikishis so they oth have a chace...

...Ad o more posts from me utill i fix my keyoard...(Bow...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

If he completes the basho, he's not retiring and he won't be asked to. If the performance isn't there, he won't be completing the basho.

Even if he's not forced or asked to, if he is healthy enough and can only muster 8-7 or 9-6 record, he should retire on his own.  He's being paid an Yokozuna salary and needs to earn his keep. 

It's about maintaining the dignity of the rank. 10-5 is considered the minimum acceptable record. Kakuryu would not be forced to retire if he finished 9-6 or 8-7. People would, however, start to "talk."

6 hours ago, Burajirotono said:

Oh shit, 

Pardon my laughing at your misadventures, but I couldn't help myself. For the keyboard, try to see if a USB keyboard works OK or not. If not, ring the laptop company and tell them to replace your motherboard. 

Boa sorte... and try to call them sober.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

It's about maintaining the dignity of the rank. 10-5 is considered the minimum acceptable record. Kakuryu would not be forced to retire if he finished 9-6 or 8-7. People would, however, start to "talk."

I'm going to boldly predict against Moti and claim that he goes 9-6 and fights all 15 bouts there will be no repercussions.

Edited by McBugger

I don't think Kakuryu cares much about keeping the dignity of Yokozuna rank.   If so, he'd intai already.

• Confused 1

If this is his last basho, his basho performance over the last year follows mostly the same exit pattern as most yokozuna in the last 50 years. Or do you have complaints about his fulfillment of off-dohyo yokozuna duties? 

• Thanks 4

I'll go ahead and say he will be in the yusho race, he tends to show up when in pressure.

4 hours ago, McBugger said:

Pardon my laughing at your misadventures, but I couldn't help myself.

dot worry dude, i really cat complai aout my last misadvetures....(Whistling...) whats a keyoard ayway...:-D

I hope google help me with these ecause greeck is japaese to me; Χαιρετισμοί φίλος

Yokozua Kakuryu Rikisauro: Gamateeeeeee! (Dohyo-iri...)

• Like 1

If reports about Kakuryu's performance at the recent Sokken are true, he will probably do well in the upcoming tournament.  The question is whether he can handle the Makunouchi newcomers.  I have a feeling that he will actually contend for the championship this month...  

At the back of my mind is the question whether Hakuho will go for the championship with everything he's got (just because he is ticked off with the NSK), to whether he will share the yusho wealth with compatriot Kakuryu if the race is close.

Just a prediction, which if it materializes, Kakuryu won't be retiring anytime soon!

• Like 1

I think if Hakuho doesn’t show up and Kakuryu’s soken performance is representative of where he is at healthwise, I think he could be in the yusho race. Do I think the soken performance was representative of his true health? No, I am not sold. But, if he gets a kachikoshi at all I think the YDC will grumble and tell him to do better next time. He’ll intai mid-basho rather than get a makekoshi. If he goes 8-7 twice, I think he’s done.

I'll take the unpopular opinion that Kakuryu will do quite well and could be in yusho contention if Hakuho does not participate. He was training very well before Kyushu and it was a bit of a surprise to many when he pulled out due to another injury. I'm wondering if that injury was just significant to not risk participating in November, since he's been told he must perform at Yokozuna level next time her participates or will face intai. The additional two months of healing could get him where he needs to be.

If Hakuho were to pull out, no one else has really shown the ability to go better than 12-3. Terunofuji and Takayasu have been too beat up and Goeido too inconsistent though he would be my second pick. Mitakeumi, Onosho, Hokutofuji, and Takekeisho could all potentially take their sumo to the next level in 2018, but who's to say that January is the month to do that. I believe Kisenosato may be over his injuries, it's just now about building all the strength he's lost after not being able to train. It might be best for him to take another basho off and continue rebuilding his strength, but if he participates I could see him making a run at 12 wins.

I think Kakuryu will do well. The interesting question is what if he does well this basho and pulls out of the next one? How much breathing room does a good performance from this basho get him.

10 minutes ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

I'll take the unpopular opinion that Kakuryu will do quite well

I'll agree with you on that, I think if Hak doesn't complete. Kak could be in the running for the Yusho.

On Kisenosato, we pretty much know he won't get his strength back, but if he sits out this basho and continues to develop (maybe a slightly different style, a la Hakuho) and get back to as good health as possible, would the following scenario be possible/likely: Kise performs below recent level and hovers around 10-5 for most basho, knicking the odd one for the next couple of years whilst the new crop begin and go on Ozeki runs, by the time a couple of them may be ready for the rope he can retire as a successful Yokozuna, Kakuryu will probably be gone by then as well and the new guard ushers in a new era of sumo?

Wishful thinking? My predictions are normally wrong anyway :-|

6 minutes ago, Sakura said:

I think Kakuryu will do well. The interesting question is what if he does well this basho and pulls out of the next one? How much breathing room does a good performance from this basho get him.

Same ultimatum? Come back in the next one and compete for the Yusho or else..?

23 hours ago, Joaoiyama said:

I'll go ahead and say he will be in the yusho race, he tends to show up when in pressure.

He seems to be healthier now, I predict he will come in second to Hakuho.

• Like 1

Except for Kisenosato Kakuryu will be facing a healthy sanyaku. He's done. He won't even KK.  This is his last basho. 

42 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Except for Kisenosato Kakuryu will be facing a healthy sanyaku. He's done. He won't even KK.  This is his last basho. 

I disagree. I believe he will struggle but finish 10-5. He is a Yokozuna, after all.

• Like 1

I'm all aboard the kakuryu hype train. I'm feeling he'll get 10+ wins easy.

• Like 1