Sign in to follow this  
Fujisan

Urban animals

orandashoho    433

Herons have adapted quite well to Dutch city life. You can see them on the banks of canals, waiting with their retracted necks to strike out to spear a small fish: even more often they seek a perch nearby someone with a fishing rod. 

Fujisan    184

Problems are that many of our resident animals are nocturnal and very elusive(badgers,bats,owls etc)

Fujisan    184
Posted (edited)

I Went on a nature ramble earlier but it was a disappointment....No foxes..The sum total
was two cats,1 dog and I bird hidden in a tree who I coulnt see but I could hear him... A nice whistle aswell

Edited by Fujisan
Makes sense now....
  • Like 1

Yatagarasu    110
19 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Didn't the late Warren Zevon have a song about them?

"I saw a parakeet drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's,

His plumage was perfect ... "

Alas, Lee Ho Fuc's (a real restaurant in Chinatown and amazing spoonerism!) closed down about a year and a half ago.  

Still, I'd like to meet his tailor...

• Like 1

Atenzan    671

Five minutes ago, walking in the very centre of Athens, I saw a woman walking with a duck in her hand. A duck! She was walking down the street not 100 metres from the houses of Parliament and she had one hand in front of her belly, palm upwards, and the duck was perched right in her palm. Very well behaved duck, didn't shout or complain, just bobbed its head slightly. What a peculiar thing to see! 

• Like 5

orandashoho    433

The daughter of my neighbour in the house opposite mine once found an abandoned duckling in the park and took it home. The duck grew up sharing the house with two small dogs. When it had grown enough to fend for itself, the kids took it to the park and set it free -- several times, and further and further away, because the duck kept coming back to them. They drove 100km to leave it in another part of the country. That seemed to be the end of it, but years later, a duck was quacking by the front door to be let in -- it must have returned to the vicinity and remembered the house. 
Next, the duck was driven even further away and this time it has not returned. Yet.

Edit: but I don't think a duck qualifies as "wildlife".
In the same park where the girls found the duckling, a Nile goose turned up more than a decade ago. It was an unusual sight because Nile geese were rarely seen at the time, and this one came to stay the winter too. Somehow the goose found a mate and had a family, and now there are a lot of Nile geese in the park, presumably all related to each other.

Edited by orandashoho
  • Like 3

Bugman    278
On 1/5/2018 at 00:10, Burajirotono said:

Rats. 

Yeah London here, these are the only wild animals i have seen other than common birds like pidgeons and other assorted winged-things.  One night i was smoking on the balcony lost in thought, when i suddenly saw by the dim light of the street-lamps, a cavalcade of rats, probably about 20 of them running down the middle of the road.  They must have been moving house, i've heard it's very stressful so i can understand their hurry.  I'm glad i was up in the balcony, because a couple of them looked bigger than me.

• Haha 2

orandashoho    433

I was taking an evening stroll on Hampstead Heath once when I saw a flock of bats circling the lake. The water must have confused their echolocation, because they were going round and round. It was one of those balmy windless evenings when sounds are carried far and the day seems to be holding its breath for the upcoming night, the sun was down but it was not dark yet. You know the way the total of image, sound, smell and touch make an unique and unforgettable memory? This was one of them.
A few years ago I was a volonteer in a program to help people with dementia articulate their memories and perceptions. Presenting images and sounds inside a room full of oldfashioned objects and appliances could bring a sudden flood of memories - we'd listen to the stories and note them down in the ever-changing book of the patient's sense of their own life and identity. These books were useful not only for giving the patient a sense of dignity, but it could also help the nursing staff and family understand the emotions and sometimes strange behaviour.
I am now in Germany but when I come back to The Netherlands after my retirement I will become a story-volonteer again. The time you take listening and coaxing these memories to the fore is never wasteful and can bring such great reward. I picture myself sitting there -- what could prompt that memory of the Hampstead Heath bats again, and would anyone understand why I'd be smiling? It's a little thing but it could mean so much.

• Like 2

Kishinoyama    261

Halloween night, the wife and I were on the front porch waiting for trick or treaters. It was dark outside but I noticed what I thought was a cat walking down the sidewalk across the street. Upon looking a little closer it was a raccoon. Walking down the street like he or she owned it. The most raccoons I have personally witnessed are five. My neighbors across the drainage area said they saw 11 one night in their back yard. No wonder with all of the cat food they put out for the stray cats. It is a raccoon buffet. I have also seen opossums (alive and dead), way too many squirrels (alive and dead) and my neighbors saw a coyote (I've only heard the howling). Of course we have the normal assortment of birds but I have also heard and seen hawks, vultures and an owl or two. (Bye,bye...)

Edited by Kishinoyama

Kintamayama    19,945

A family of porcupines in my back yard, crows are everyday  visitors, turtles here and there, geese, always in pairs, colorful parrots screaming. I live very close to a gigantic park in the middle of a city, so the flying ones probably belong there. Do cockroaches count,. Basie?

Akinomaki    16,000

Rabbits, squirrels, once or twice a shrew in the garden, once a year a hawk flying by - I also enjoy dragonflies and swimming bugs. The funniest thing while walking in a park was a mole in full view, who hurried along to escape into a hole.

• Like 1

MumboJumbo    27

A few months ago I saw a hawk on my neighbor's porch with its talons stuck into its most recent catch. I also see some owls occasionally. Raccoons are pretty common. Groups of deer will pass through town from time to time. Canadian geese have been everywhere since they migrate down into the southern half of the U.S.A for the winter.

Fujisan    184

After saying I see foxes every night,I didn't see one for weeks... Now I have seen 3 in the last few days......... See you have to wait but they will come...

Edited by Fujisan
Make that 3...

Fujisan    184

As for Raccoons we only get them here in zoo's.....

As a child I went to have a closer look in their pen....

I pretended to fall but actually it was deliberate,.....

Didn't get anywhere near the raccoons though they where on the other side of the pen(?-Query what they call its habitat)

Yukiarashi    126

There are a lot of urban animals around here especially at night, as for actual animals, Squirrels, enormous birds, foxes, hoards of bunnies, small snakes, large snakes, coyotes, and some mice too I think. About once a week at night in the summer you'll here a coyote mauling something in the back and that's just my backyard in a suburban neighborhood, the whole development was built over an area where benign snakes were sent in to kill the rattling ones. I've heard of someone south of here pick up a large snake before thinking it was a garden hose.

In town I've seen a coyote just casually cross a busy street, snakes on the roads, foxes on the hills. And this isn't next to a forest or Alaska either it's a pretty large town built over habitats. Geese, ducks, owls, prairie dogs, about 65% of the zoo. 

The backyard is a good visual representation of the food chain. 

RabidJohn    277
On 12/02/2018 at 00:22, orandashoho said:

I was taking an evening stroll on Hampstead Heath once when I saw a flock of bats circling the lake. The water must have confused their echolocation, because they were going round and round. It was one of those balmy windless evenings when sounds are carried far and the day seems to be holding its breath for the upcoming night, the sun was down but it was not dark yet. You know the way the total of image, sound, smell and touch make an unique and unforgettable memory? This was one of them.

As a lifelong angler this is a sight I've seen many times over lakes and rivers. There was nothing wrong with their sonar: they were feeding on a fly hatch. Aquatic insects often choose the calm at dawn and dusk to emerge from the water, and many species of bat are quick to take advantage. 

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 3

Furuya    16

In my town we are lucky to still have a population of koalas within the urban area, living in a local park, and even in the backyards of some houses.

There is a large native fruit bat colony nearby and I often see them flying overhead in massive swarms near dusk, as they head for their roosting sites.

You don't have to wander too far from town limits before wallabies become a real threat to your vehicle, especially around dawn and dusk. 

• Like 2