Kintamayama

Takanohana-devil's advocate

WAKATAKE    913
1 minute ago, Kintamayama said:

Takayoshitoshi was suspended for one basho. 

Only one? Two to three would have made a statement in my opinion.

• Like 1

Kintamayama    21,118
Posted (edited)

In three months, Takanohana's salary has been cut nearly in half.  He used to make 1,448,000 yen as a riji, then 1,030,000 yen as a yakuin taigu iin, and now he will be earning 808,000 yen, a huge drop in income.

The Minezaki beya rikishi who attacked another rikishi four times and caused him to leave sumo, got a one-basho suspension as well. Minezaki Oyakata will get a 10% salary reduction for two months.

Ootake Oyakata, also gets a 10% salary reduction for two months for his responsibility in Oosunaarashi's driving affair.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

Asashosakari    10,435
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Takanohana has been demoted to toshiyori, the lowest rank for Oyakatas. He did say he wanted to start from scratch so his wish was actually granted.

He's now actually lower on the oyakata totem pole than he's ever been before, considering his very first rank after retiring from the dohyo was as toshiyori with instant iin privileges (as customary for former yokozuna and ozeki).

Good thing they've opened up the shimpan department to shunin and toshiyori oyakata in recent years, otherwise he wouldn't even be eligible to serve on that now...

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Thanks 1

Atenzan    730

At this rate he'll be assigned to hanamichi duty tomorrow, and he'll be a yobidashi by next week. 

• Haha 6

Kintamayama    21,118
2 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

He's now actually lower on the oyakata totem pole than he's ever been before, considering his very first rank after retiring from the dohyo was as toshiyori with instant iin privileges (as customary for former yokozuna and ozeki).

The last ex-yokozuna who got demoted like this was Wajima.

• Like 1

Marcus33    6
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

In three months, Takanohana's salary has been cut nearly in half.  He used to make 1,448,000 yen as a riji, then 1,030,000 yen as a yakuin taigu iin, and now he will be earning 808,000 yen, a huge drop in income.

The Minezaki beya rikishi who attacked another rikishi four times and caused him to leave sumo, got a one-basho suspension as well. Minezaki Oyakata will get a 10% salary reduction for two months.

Ootake Oyakata, also gets a 10% salary reduction for two months for his responsibility in Oosunaarashi's driving affair.

Edited by Marcus33
delete

Rocks    776
On 3/29/2018 at 03:32, Kintamayama said:

This seems ridiculously mild IMO given this happened 4 times.

• Like 1

Jakusotsu    1,888

An angel's advocate would make you wonder if these penalties aren't issued for the act itself but for making it public.

• Like 5

Kintamayama    21,118
Posted (edited)

Takanohana was supposed to join the Haru jungyo in his new capacity as a shinpan, but he won’t. The Kyokai decides which shinpan join the jungyo and have decided today that Takanohana will not be one of them. This, after Takanohana declared he was going.  With one deshi suspended , one clearly not back in shape yet and another injured, "it's better if he stays at the heya and coaches  and guides his deshi," was the explanation given for the sudden change of plans.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

maorencze    76
22 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Takanohana was supposed to join the Haru jungyo in his new capacity as a shinpan, but he won’t. The Kyokai decides which shinpan join the jungyo and have decided today that Takanohana will not be one of them. This, after Takanohana declared he was going.  with one deshi suspended , one clearly not back in shape yet and another injured, "it's better if he stays at the heya and coaches  and guides his deshi," was the explanation given for the sudden change of plans.

Now that's a bit petty (and maybe vindictive too). Enough is enough, they made their point, let the guy be

Kintamayama    21,118
36 minutes ago, maorencze said:

Now that's a bit petty (and maybe vindictive too). Enough is enough, they made their point, let the guy be

They've finally got him where they want him. Lots more to come, I fear. Some may see he had it coming, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, maorencze said:

Maybe they don't want him to be the focus of attention, and I suspect he would make himself the focus.

Edited by The Fat Cyclist
additional point added.

orandashoho    486

They took away the jobs in the Kyokai where he may exert some influence, limiting his contact with possible supporters and narrowing his world to his heya.

1 hour ago, maorencze said:

"it's better if he stays at the heya and coaches  and guides his deshi,"

A clear indication that the he will bear the full brunt of the Kyokai's displeasure the next time there is any sign of misbehaviour by his deshi.

Akinomaki    16,821
Posted (edited)

Ikenobo will again get problems. Last time she got severely bashed by the low-level media for just criticizing Taka's scarf

On 1/11/2018 at 09:48, Kintamayama said:

Ms. Ikenobo, head of the trustees council that affirmed Takanohana's punishment was on TV, speaking about Takanohana: "I definitely do not dislike him. I think he's great.  but I think he should give more though to what he is wearing. Wearing that scarf, it is inappropriate for a rijikai. I've been hearing many people's ideas lately, and if he wants to become the Kyokai's next leader and bring about changes I want him to win over as many supporters as he can. I really want him to open up his heart and have faith in me.."

On 1/12/2018 at 13:15, Akinomaki said:

Ikenobo had a wide show appearance today and said on Goody Goodday that she was deeply hurt by the severe bashing she's experiencing in the media

On 1/12/2018 at 13:58, Kintamayama said:

She also announced she will not be speaking to the media anymore and changed her mobile phone number.

But she couldn't resist to speak to the wide show media again - yesterday on Tokudane she repeated what had made Taka's mother furious - she simply loves that saying:

On 3/27/2018 at 14:22, Akinomaki said:

Taka's mother today on the Viking wide show got furious about Ikenobo and her comment with a phrase derived from one of ancient Chinese politician 楊震  "Know heaven, know earth, know humans" - meaning that evil deeds will certainly come to light, no matter how one tries to hide them: "She hates the heya and him personally"

Ikenobo had said in a recent interview that she likes him

And Ikenobo said that Taka's punishment makes here happy - and that will stick and is put into the headlines, e.g. in http://dailynewsonline.jp/article/1418641/ , not that she also said: because he remains as oyakata in the NSK and not gets dismissed.

Outside the NSK, most of the country is still on Taka's side and she is perceived as his enemy. She claims that the media make her look like that and repeated that she doesn't hate him. And that phrase like "God sees everything": she explained that she meant it for all the scandals that came to light recently, not for Taka in particular.

The scarf is also in focus in that program - he took it off in the car before he entered the kokugikan - and that he came to this with a plain black necktie, and not as always so far wearing one with a pattern.

With Mitsuru Yaku in the studio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XkfBSYgaZU&t=8m10s

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Kawabata    71
3 hours ago, The Fat Cyclist said:

Maybe they don't want him to be the focus of attention, and I suspect he would make himself the focus.

This kind of thing could well get distracting for everyone...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Yubinhaad    6,831
Posted (edited)
On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 15:03, Kintamayama said:

So, who was against/for Takanohana? His biggest rival since the old days of course, Takadagawa Oyakata, ex-Akinoshima, (Nishonoseki Ichimon) who was pushing for a contract cancellation. "The biggest problem is that we don't know what he may do in the future.." he said.

Guess who's now at the yakuin taigu rank, and a deputy director of the shimpan group as well? (Signofapproval...)

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 1

maorencze    76
8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

They've finally got him where they want him. Lots more to come, I fear. Some may see he had it coming, though.

I would be one of these "some", had they not gone overboard.

Takayoshitoshi deserved worse (at least 2 basho), Minezaki guy lot worse (Out!) and Takanohana a bit better. This is just too much, one more level down and rank-and-file shimpan job would have been enough.

WAKATAKE    913
9 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Guess who's now at the yakuin taigu rank, and a deputy director of the shimpan group as well? (Signofapproval...)

I had read on the Japanese wikipedia that Akinoshima was one of those who would "kawaigaru" young Takahanada to the point he would run crying to daddy to make him stop. They've always butted heads so it's no wonder that Akinoshima brought the once independent Takadagawa beya into Nishonoseki Ichimon, the same one that the group of soon to be Takanohana Ichimon heyas broke away from.

Yatagarasu    197

I know we all joke about his scarf collection on here, but seriously, Ikenobo really has that much of a problem with it?  Oyakata are well past their kimono-wearing days.  Serious question: are the scarves not 'Japanese' enough?  Are they 'too continental'?  I mean, she does see the irony in that considering they're wearing western style suits, right?

• Like 1

Akinomaki    16,821
2 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

I know we all joke about his scarf collection on here, but seriously, Ikenobo really has that much of a problem with it?  Oyakata are well past their kimono-wearing days.  Serious question: are the scarves not 'Japanese' enough?  Are they 'too continental'?  I mean, she does see the irony in that considering they're wearing western style suits, right?

The scarf complaint was a long time ago - Ikenobo didn't mention that again after getting bashed. It's the wide show media people who are always keeping an eye on the scarfs.

Akinomaki    16,821
On 3/28/2018 at 20:27, Dapeng said:

In this Asahi news article:  https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASL3X5RWYL3XUTQP02K.html

There is this saying "この日委員に降格されたのは処分ではなく、2月の理事候補選に立候補して落選したため、慣例に従った処遇だ。"  My understanding of this sentence: "this day (he) was demoted to iin but it is not a discipline, instead, it is just following previous examples since he was riji candidate in Feb but was not elected to riji.

Are these the only 2 previous examples of former riji or fuku-riji who haven't kept a yakuin position after not being elected/re-nominated?

16 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Izutsu was already fuku-riji for the 2014-16 term before he narrowly failed to be re-elected, falling to Tamanoi in a runoff vote. The board decided not to give him an executive position via a yakuin appointment at the time. Now he is back, having survived a challenge from his brother Shikoroyama (ex-Terao) in the latest balloting.

On 4/3/2014 at 22:37, Asashosakari said:

The biggest surprise (for me anyway) in the yakuin taigu ranks is that deposed director Kokonoe isn't one of them - it's highly unusual that a former director immediately becomes a mere rank-and-file oyakata, especially one who didn't exit for age reasons.

• Like 1