Kintamayama

Harumafuji scandal thread- part 2

Recommended Posts

Eikokurai    213
21 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Harumafuji will have an intai-zumo in the kokugikan on Sep. 30th for his danpatsu-shiki. Asashoryu had an intai-zumo as well. http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201805140000906.html

I wonder what Harumafuji makes of having to hold onto his top-knot for a whole year after leaving sumo. Or will he grow it back specially for the ceremony having already had a haircut?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rhyen    953

No, they will only cut off the topknot at the ceremony, no ifs and buts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rocks    886
12 minutes ago, rhyen said:

No, they will only cut off the topknot at the ceremony, no ifs and buts.

True and considering the lump of cash he'll get out of his intai-zumo and ceremony putting up with a top knot for a year will be more than worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yatagarasu    279
1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

I wonder what Harumafuji makes of having to hold onto his top-knot for a whole year after leaving sumo. Or will he grow it back specially for the ceremony having already had a haircut?

In a way, I think it's a good thing that he's been in this purgatory.  It kind of softens the blow and allows him to ease into it psychologically and also stick around on the scene and get his contemporaries used to seeing him remain in sumo but in a non-rikishi capacity.  Imagine if he'd been straight up exiled as speedily as Osunaarashi - arguably it would have been harder for him to come back in a coaching capacity.  He's managed to maintain his ties in this way.  He has time to get his affairs in order and arrange for a seamless transition which, by then, won't really be an actual transition.  The outrage in the freshness of the scandal will have faded and I think will give way to people feeling sad to see him go. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
orandashoho    523

I think that being forced to intai was harsh but necessary given the zero tolerance policy.
Having done the right thing -- admitting his mistake, taking his lumps, embracing a nonviolent ethos -- there is no residual shame. Given that he truly controls his temper, I can see no wrong and much good in him continuing in some official function.  By no means this is an acceptance of his violence against Takanoiwa, but he can be an important voice in the campaign to stamp out violence. He can show that coaching does not need to be violent, for a start.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    17,923
On 5/14/2018 at 17:19, Akinomaki said:

Harumafuji will have an intai-zumo in the kokugikan on Sep. 30th for his danpatsu-shiki.

the poster for the event

Dfyw31HUcAA9WvJ.jpg:large

tickets - only masu A are sold out so far

Dfyw31GVAAAx-yO.jpg:thumbo

remaining goods are still on sale at the kokugikan shops - but that picture tegata was sold out when I was at the kokugikan

Dfyw31GVAAMw04B.jpg:thumbo Dfyw31pVQAA7g0F.jpg:thumbo

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WAKATAKE    969
On 5/15/2018 at 08:58, orandashoho said:

I think that being forced to intai was harsh but necessary given the zero tolerance policy.
Having done the right thing -- admitting his mistake, taking his lumps, embracing a nonviolent ethos -- there is no residual shame. Given that he truly controls his temper, I can see no wrong and much good in him continuing in some official function.  By no means this is an acceptance of his violence against Takanoiwa, but he can be an important voice in the campaign to stamp out violence. He can show that coaching does not need to be violent, for a start.

Actually the YDC and the NSK had not said made any rulings before he retired to my recollection. They were waiting on the investigation to be completed. I think they would have given him a suspension.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now