Sign in to follow this  
Washuyama

Hakuho's dominance to continue?

4 hours ago, OneManGang said:

He has a career as a ballet dancer lined up for him after retirement. No MMA or K-1 for him. 

Incidentally, I went to a ballet performance on Saturday and was sad to realize that the guys there were just sumo wrestlers without fat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nantonoyama    62
10 hours ago, itchyknee said:

Ahhh....

The GOAT in Mongolian wrestling won 13 yearly tournaments.  Hakuho would need 78 championships to match this.  I thought he might have gone for it.

It is difficult to make a comparison between yearly tournament and a 6-tournament year. Your comment implies that Hakuho should have won each one of the 6 tournaments to equal a yearly tournament.

But in the period 2007 - 2017, in each year, he is the one who has the most yusho. The only year he is tied for the most yusho is 2012 : 2 with Harumafuji (but Hakuho has more wins in the whole year). That could worth 11 yearly tournaments couln't it?

• Like 4

RabidJohn    339
20 hours ago, Nantonoyama said:

It is difficult to make a comparison between yearly tournament and a 6-tournament year.

Hakuho himself made the comparison after winning his 36th yusho, which he regarded as equalling his father's six Naadam championships.

• Thanks 1

rhyen    959

Anyway, Hakuho winning 50 means that Chiyonofuji’s kanreki dohyo-iri Yusho count will surpass Taiho’s. 

PawnSums    59
7 hours ago, rhyen said:

Anyway, Hakuho winning 50 means that Chiyonofuji’s kanreki dohyo-iri Yusho count will surpass Taiho’s. 

How?

rhyen    959

Taiho’s kanreki dohyo iri featured Taiho’s (32), Chiyonofuji (31) & Kitanoumi (24)

Chiyonofuji’s one had Chiyonofuji (31), Hakuho (40 and counting) & Harumafuji (9).

If Hakuho wins 7 more Yusho (in the 16 Basho between now and Nagoya 2020, assuming he retires after Aki 2020), the 2 kanreki dohyo iri would have the same number of Yusho total among the 3 members. 8th would break the record. 

• Thanks 1

orandashoho    531
14 hours ago, rhyen said:

Not if it's the number of yushos at the time of the kanreki dohyo-iri. Whatever the active yokozuna does afterwards hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

Benevolance    1,202

And not if it's adjusted for differences in cultural exchange. Lacking a solid trading market for relative cultural values, we can erroneously substitute currency values into the equation. The tugrik is trading at 21.67 to the yen, so Hakuho's mongolian wins are currently worth about 1.85 Japanese yusho, and Haramafuji is trading an a measly 0.41 yusho, for a total of 2.26 yusho. On the face of it, Kisenosato's 2 yusho have generated roughly the same level of excitement as Harumafuji and Hakuho's careers combined, so these figures appear sound. Therefore, technically, Chiyonofuji has only 33.26 yusho in his kanreki dohyo-iri.

Given Harumafuji's retirement, and the health of Kise and Kakuryu, and the huge chip that may be on his shoulder after the past month, I'm looking for Hakuho to make a run at the first clean sweep of all six tournaments in a calendar year since 2005. There are so many good up-and-comers, but without Harumafuji or a healthy Kisenosato, I don't see who's in a great position to stop him...

• Like 2

itchyknee    11
On 12/11/2017 at 02:40, Nantonoyama said:

It is difficult to make a comparison between yearly tournament and a 6-tournament year. Your comment implies that Hakuho should have won each one of the 6 tournaments to equal a yearly tournament.

But in the period 2007 - 2017, in each year, he is the one who has the most yusho. The only year he is tied for the most yusho is 2012 : 2 with Harumafuji (but Hakuho has more wins in the whole year). That could worth 11 yearly tournaments couln't it?

What RabidJohn said, but your thought would be a fair comparison.

Looking closer at his record and the Mongolian wrestling records I'd say the Sumo zenshos are also a fair comparison between the two.

Name   Wins Runner-up  
1 Badmaanyambuugiin Bat-Erdene   11 1  
2 Khorloogiin Bayanmönkh   10 2  
3 Badamdorigiin Tüvdendorj   7 2  
4 Jigjidiin Mönkhbat   6 4  
5 Dariin Damdin   5 5  
6 Dashdorjiin Tserentogtokh   4 5  
7 Sharaviin Batsuuri   2 2  
8 Gelegjamtsiin Ösökhbayar   4 1  
9 Agvaansamdangiin Sükhbat   3 -  
10 Natsagiin Jamyan   2 1  

Seems pretty comparable to:

Most undefeated championships

Name Total Years
1 Hakuhō 13 2007–
2 Futabayama 8 1936–43
Taihō 8 1963–69
4 Tachiyama 7 1910–15
Kitanoumi 7 1977–84
Chiyonofuji 7 1983–89
7 Tochigiyama 6 1917–25
8 Asashōryū 5 2004–06
9 Haguroyama 4 1944–52
Tsunenohana 4 1921–28
Takanohana II 4 1994–96

So Hakuho's got them all beat already.

Edited by itchyknee

dada78641    342
11 hours ago, jranderson222 said:

Given Harumafuji's retirement, and the health of Kise and Kakuryu, and the huge chip that may be on his shoulder after the past month, I'm looking for Hakuho to make a run at the first clean sweep of all six tournaments in a calendar year since 2005. There are so many good up-and-comers, but without Harumafuji or a healthy Kisenosato, I don't see who's in a great position to stop him...

I hadn't even thought about that. Hakuhou has equaled Asashouryuu's run of seven consecutive championship wins in 2010-2011, but he has never won all of them in one calendar year. He has a great chance to do that now.

That final tournament of the year was truly legendary:

(Take special note of Hakuhou's pathetic footnote performance, as he uses a henka on Asashouryuu, even briefly sees his back, and then still loses. And the purple rain descending on Kotooushuu.)

Edited by dada78641
  • Like 1

Bumpkin    356
13 hours ago, jranderson222 said:

IMHO, it is a far more likely that all 6 honbashos are won by 6 different rikishi than that Hakuho wins all 6 in 2018.

Benihana    631
3 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

IMHO, it is a far more likely that all 6 honbashos are won by 6 different rikishi than that Hakuho wins all 6 in 2018.

And the last time that happened was 1991. Kirishima, Hokutoumi, Asahifuji, Kotofuji, Kotonishiki, Konishiki. What makes that year even more special: 1992 was the last year that saw 2 maegashira yusho (Takahanada , Mitoizumi), but 1991 was the only year with 2 maegashira yusho from the same heya, Kotofuji and Kotonishiki from Sadogatake-beya. The only other year with 2 maegashira yusho was 1972 (Tochiazuma, Takamiyama).

Edited by Benihana
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

slt    7
On 12/14/2017 at 13:38, dada78641 said:

I hadn't even thought about that. Hakuhou has equaled Asashouryuu's run of seven consecutive championship wins in 2010-2011, but he has never won all of them in one calendar year. He has a great chance to do that now.

That final tournament of the year was truly legendary:

(Take special note of Hakuhou's pathetic footnote performance, as he uses a henka on Asashouryuu, even briefly sees his back, and then still loses. And the purple rain descending on Kotooushuu.)

How I miss watching Asa on the Dohyo...