Sign in to follow this  
asa_love

has any one noticed an old man in the audience

has anyone noticed this old man in the audience who holds a gold japanese flag, often wearing a white (red/blue bits) wind coat , and SOMETIMES a tall hat??

i see him basically EVERY basho, since ages ago..he is rather entertaining , before he always supported takanohana, and always used his fan to "blow" takanohana's opponent. He must be someone quite special, as he ALWAYS gets to sit in the first few rows (which is why i can see him on TV everytime)

also, he hates asashoryu. he always uses his fan and starts fanning asashoryu away during the fights. however, nowadays he cheers when asashoryu wins... duno whats got into him...

and yes, he is an OLD man but he seems to scream very loudly and gets all excited etc EVERYTIME....

pls tell me if u have noticed him... haha~ just curious..

last april myself and ANR were sitting beside him (adachinoryu had also mistakenly thought he was some kind of right wing nut) he had the olympic torch and chatted away.

Indeed we did and indeed I did. You live and learn.

I noticed him a few years ago. He is always in Tokyo, and has a big gold and red fan (if I remember correctly). I asked the question on the French-speaking Sumo Forum, and I was told he did no longer work and was fond of sumo. He is always in front of the camera!! And when I don't want to see the match, I'm looking at him! (Shaking head...)

I saw him on the telly at the Olympics doing his thing.....looked like he was having fun

thats "olympic ojisan" he has been to every olympics since tokyo i think. always wears outlandish clothes.

"Olympic Ojisan" has been around since the Tokyo Olympics and has just returned from Athens, cheering Japanese athletes.

Though not quite updated, there is his webiste which has an Ozumo section with him pictured with a few oyakatas at http://www.naniwa1001.co.jp/olympic/

last april myself and ANR were sitting beside him (adachinoryu had also mistakenly thought he was some kind of right wing nut) he had the olympic torch and chatted away.

Indeed we did and indeed I did. You live and learn.

That's quite interesting because I remember we had a thread a few months ago about whether he was a right winger and whether he hated foreigners in sumo etc. There was plenty of to-ing and fro-ing about what people had seen or heard or sensed. It's interesting that you have gotten it straight from the horse's mouth (so to speak).

BTW, I'm sure one of the more diligent posters will give the link for the old thread. :-P

I remember in the early-to-late 90s seeing this middle-aged lady always attending the Haru Basho, sitting next to the shimpan on the Nishi side so you always saw her on TV.

When I made it to Osaka for senshuraku in 1995 I actually SAW her there, dressed like a million yen and stoic as ever.

Just an old memory...

thats "olympic ojisan" he has been to every olympics since tokyo i think. always wears outlandish clothes.

"Olympic Ojisan" has been around since the Tokyo Olympics and has just returned from Athens, cheering Japanese athletes.

Though not quite updated, there is his webiste which has an Ozumo section with him pictured with a few oyakatas at http://www.naniwa1001.co.jp/olympic/

An Osakan?

Going by the link address?