Atenzan

Hakuho misconduct (split from Basho Talk Kyushu 2017)

Katooshu    448

I can see it now: Hakuho goes kyujo, and Hokutofuji swoops in for the yusho. It's all lining up the way I hoped (I hope) :-D

• Like 1

Katooshu    448

And I'll be very interested in the next Hak-Yoshikaze match :-O

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kintamayama    19,945
20 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Assuming he isn't suspended immediately, I don't envy Mitakeumi who faces him tomorrow.

For now, the papers are not making a big thing out of it-still too early maybe but the reporting is quite laconic and none of that "did you see what he just did??" stuff.

Yet.

Kintamayama    19,945
34 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I am sure the die hard Japanese sumo fans are more than happy to see Mongolian yokozunas replaced by Japanese ones.   GOAT or not, I have seen enough of Hakuho myself.   

Anyone care to educate me on the Ossunarashi's elbow hit to Tsurugisho's jaw?   Was that a legal move?   In soccer, the player using an elbow like that would get ejected from the game.

Legal, he does it all the time- Tsurugishou caught it squarely this time, hence the result.

Stein    23
1 hour ago, Jyuunomori said:

More importantly, are they not going to punish the greatest Yokozuna for disruptive behavior that not only breached etiquette but also made a Yokozuna, the greatest rikishi look like a child who can do whatever the hell he wishes, and not look ashamed at all?

If they do not punish him at all for this kind of behavior, it will only seem like they condone or encourage this sort of behavior. Hakuho is either gonna be Kyujo starting either tomorrow or day after. Or they are simply going to have him sit out next basho.

Imagine him winning the Yusho now, especially when he acted like this? It will still be on the mind of too many people and it will make Sumo look TERRIBLE. A manchild just won the highest honor.

If Hakuho has to go kyujo for that minimalistic stupidity then sumo is doomed, and japan will show how ungrateful it is to the wrestlers that have made the sport a force to be reckon with once again after an era of bad Japanese rikishi.

Kyujo for that? They better not have the guts to do that.

Stein    23
2 hours ago, Senkoho said:

and I thought I couldn't hate the guy any more...

"Hate" is a strong and shameful word, my friend.

• Like 2

Kintamayama    19,945
30 minutes ago, Stein said:

If Hakuho has to go kyujo for that minimalistic stupidity then sumo is doomed, and japan will show how ungrateful it is to the wrestlers that have made the sport a force to be reckon with once again after an era of bad Japanese rikishi.

Kyujo for that? They better not have the guts to do that.

So, you think they should regard it as if it never happened? Or?

Kintamayama    19,945

"I just wanted them to at least review it once," explained Hakuhou backstage.

*MODS- Maybe we should have a dedicated thread (for the future)  regarding Hakuhou's actions today? I feel there will be a lot of talk..

• Like 2

Kaioshoryu    24
2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

As I said in some private conversations these last days, Hakuhou needed to make people forget about Harumafuji's transgression (which, between us, is no biggie in the behind the scenes sumo world..) by doing something REALLY wild. Here it is. Tin foil at its best.  Now, I am very curious to see what will happen.

Would not surprise me if this is a  correct guess Kinta. Hakuho doesn’t just forget proper manners for a Yokozuna after 39 yusho...

Kintamayama    19,945

Hakkaku Rijicho: "He can't decide if it's matta or not. I think he thought Yoshikaze was late starting off so it was a matta. A tachiai situation is a difficult thing. I guess he will be really fired up for tomorrow's bout.." Which means nobody is making an issue of this at this point, except me.. I guess it depends on the volume of public outcry/government questions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jakusotsu    1,766
11 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

*MODS- Maybe we should have a dedicated thread (for the future)  regarding Hakuhou's actions today? I feel there will be a lot of talk..

I tried to, but there are too many cross-topic posts to split properly. Let's leave it just here for now.

Kintamayama    19,945
6 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

I tried to, but there are too many cross-topic posts to split properly. Let's leave it just here for now.

OK, but we will regret that one day..

• Haha 1

Washuyama    411

When I first watched it, I thought Hakuho jumped the gun a bit.  But, after watching the slo-mo replay, I didn't think so.  It's usually the other way around.  He should've followed the "play til the whistle" rule from American football.  Also when the shimpan was adjusting his seating position, I thought Hakuho was going to get his mono-ii request.

• Like 1

Stein    23
52 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

So, you think they should regard it as if it never happened? Or?

A public apology should be more than enough i think...anything else is unnecesary, asashoryu had a fistfight backstage and wasnt even suspended...

CT3*    274

I feel sorry for the remainder of Hakuho's opponents this basho....

• Like 3

Senkoho    477
2 hours ago, Stein said:

"Hate" is a strong and shameful word, my friend.

strongly dislike, then

Jyuunomori    201
1 minute ago, Senkoho said:

strongly dislike, then

Loathe would also work, or resent. But my favorite word to convey my intense dislike is abhor.

Personally speaking. :P

• Like 5

Dwale    192

I'm sure Hakuho thought it was a matta. But it wasn't.

As far as disciplinary action, I imagine they'll give him a stern talking-to and not much else. Japan is, as has often been said, a culture that uses shame to reinforce social mores. Of course, that can be a problem when you have someone with no shame. 

That aside, we had some really enjoyable sumo today. Hokutofuji may be an ugly mofo, but he's strong. Arawashi put up a good fight, but Tamawashi is just a bad, bad dude. And what's this I'm hearing about Osunaarashi down in juryo? Did he KO someone? :-D

• Like 1

Amanogawa    55

I still can't believe or don't want to believe what I saw today after musubi.  Nothing like that ever happened at least in my long sumo-watching time. The announcer kept saying, "This is not good... This is not what dai-yokozuna shoud be doing.. "  Shinpan or gyoji did not make a move not because they were powerless, I think,  but things they saw there were beyond their comprehension. Something that can't happen was happening in the real Kokugikan. And it was no one but dai-yokozuna that everybody should admire.

In the victory interview after the bout, Yoshikaze said he tried a new tachiai timing because his usual rough and quick style had never worked.  So he said he'd decided to go in "go-no-sen" timing ( meaning, he intentionally delayed the initial charge ): "Maybe I was being a bit arrogant, but somehow was thinking before the bout that I'd be just fine if I delayed my tachiai - was kind of sure I'd endure yokozuna's powerful impact".  So his go-no-sen tachiai may have looked like a matta but it was not. "For a moment it felt like a matta, but I could hear 'Nokotta Nokotta' so I knew it was on and I did what I had to do - keep pushing until the bout was called". 

I don't understand why Hakuho thought it matta. If it was because of Yoshikaze's thought-out tachiai timing,  I'd have to say he was not just as good ( as Yoshikaze, or as before, or as he should be ). We did see Yoshikaze fully ready for tachiai with his both hands firmly on the clay just waiting for his opponent. We also saw Hakuho did step in at his own timing, did even slap him, meaning Hakuho also knew the bout had been in motion. Knowing that, why? Just because he felt strange? Because he sensed he was to lose the match?  Or was this instantaneous reacion by Hakuho revealing some piece of the opposite of yokozuna-dignity. Or his true personality.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Jaynestown    17
3 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Yeah, Yoshi better cover up....  Hakuho already proved against Tochiozan that he can start at any time regardless of the Gyoji

dada78641    324

I think Hakuhou is probably too smart to not simply apologize and cut his losses. I sincerely doubt there will be any serious repercussions. It was stupid of him to hold himself back after the tachiai considering the exact same thing happened in Aki.

Besides, he has seen the replay. He'll have heard Yoshikaze's explanation afterwards about trying a new tachiai technique. He should know that he was absolutely in the wrong and that he made himself look like a fool. So I don't doubt that he'll do some sort of behind the scenes kowtowing towards the shinpan and all this will be brushed aside.

Edited by dada78641
  • Like 2