McBugger

Hakuho misconduct (split from Basho Talk Kyushu 2017)

Kintamayama    18,781
1 hour ago, kawika said:

nope.  i am saying that pretend sumo at jungyo is a great opportunity to practice yaocho....

They don’t need jungyo -they have keiko for that. And yet, I don't think there is much yaocho going on at present-too many gachinko guys.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

Kintamayama    18,781
4 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

There is nothing yet, but I sense some immersion from what is flooding the tabloid level at  the moment into the proper media, by sheer mass -  everywhere you see gachinko vs. the establishment, young vs.the old guard - the mood also in Sankei articles tends in this direction. Those geinou people commenting are nearly all siding with Taka, and people interviewed mostly also talk that way - and apparently all know nothing of the sumo world. Looks like Taka is winning at least the propaganda war at the moment.

Be that as it may, no real "meat" to any of it, or else we would have read "people are saying" etc, which we haven't. We both know this is the time for the tabloids to shine, and the wackier the story, the better - makes for better sales. Then one of them gets sued and it becomes quiet for a while, then it starts again. Remember when ex-Miyagino the kooky one told his mistress that he knows for sure Hakuhou was involved in yaocho? That was all over the mainstream press .. This was supposedly a first-hand witness spilling the beans. 

Edited by Kintamayama

Akinomaki    14,915
18 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Be that as it may, no real "meat" to any of it, or else we would have read "people are saying" etc, which we haven't. We both know this is the time for the tabloids to shine, and the wackier the story, the better - makes for better sales. Tthen one of them gets sued and it becomes quiet for a while, then it starts again.

The NSK apparently has lost those teeth recently - they'll only send a letter of protest to the Shukan shincho for the Mongolian yaocho article - no hint of threats to sue. And the wide variety of sources for the "revolutionary" articles lets this appear a bit more serious than the usual tabloid attacks.

Edited by Akinomaki

Asashosakari    9,188
14 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Be that as it may, no real "meat" to any of it, or else we would have read "people are saying" etc, which we haven't. We both know this is the time for the tabloids to shine, and the wackier the story, the better - makes for better sales. Then one of them gets sued and it becomes quiet for a while, then it starts again. Remember when ex-Miyagino the kooky one told his mistress that he knows for sure Hakuhou was involved in yaocho? That was all over the mainstream press .. This was supposedly a first-hand witness spilling the beans. 

In fairness to Hakuho, the claim by Kanechika was that he bought off opponents without Hakuho's knowledge. (Unless I'm forgetting other details of that sordid story.)

13 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The NSK apparently has lost those teeth recently - they'll only send a letter of protest to the Shukan shincho for the Mongolian yaocho article - no hint of threats to sue.

That article - if the version I saw on Yahoo Headlines was the full one - had basically no meat to it at all. A far cry from the usual yaocho stories of the past, and I'm not sure it included any claims serious enough to make a lawsuit even worthwhile.

Edited by Asashosakari

Kintamayama    18,781
1 minute ago, Asashosakari said:

In fairness to Hakuho, the claim by Kanechika was that he bought off opponents without Hakuho's knowledge.

It was more concerning the fact that his Oyakata openly admitted to yaocho and nothing was really being done about it, dismissed as "Oh, that nutcase..", regardless of Hakuhou's knowing anything.

Yamanashi    44
5 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

In fairness to Hakuho, the claim by Kanechika was that he bought off opponents without Hakuho's knowledge. (Unless I'm forgetting other details of that sordid story.)

But this is a much more serious claim, isn't it?  (Not as in "truthful", just "stronger").  If this were boxing, the charge would be that a promoter pulled a "Rocky" and set up some chump to take the fall.  But there can't be a chump in Sumo; the only opponents a Yokozuna will face are other Sanyaku and M1-M4, say.  So this guy claims that rikishi finally reached the pinnacle that hundreds of others only dream of, then took a dive.  Do I understand the situation correctly?

Kintamayama    18,781
3 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

But this is a much more serious claim, isn't it?  (Not as in "truthful", just "stronger").  If this were boxing, the charge would be that a promoter pulled a "Rocky" and set up some chump to take the fall.  But there can't be a chump in Sumo; the only opponents a Yokozuna will face are other Sanyaku and M1-M4, say.  So this guy claims that rikishi finally reached the pinnacle that hundreds of others only dream of, then took a dive.  Do I understand the situation correctly?

"This guy" was Hakuhou's Oyakata. not just a "guy". Serious allegations.

Bumpkin    264
6 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

"This guy" was Hakuhou's Oyakata. not just a "guy". Serious allegations.

Just for clarification, you are referring to claims made by the disgraced former Miyagino Oyakata/ Kumagatani Oyakata (ex-J2 Kanechika). Not the current Miyagino Oyakata (ex-M13 Chikubayama).

• Like 1

Kintamayama    18,781
51 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Just for clarification, you are referring to claims made by the disgraced former Miyagino Oyakata/ Kumagatani Oyakata (ex-J2 Kanechika). Not the current Miyagino Oyakata (ex-M13 Chikubayama).

Yes indeed, which ultimately (well, he did more kooky stuff later as well..) brought about his switching kabu with the current Oyakata and then being forced to retire disgraced.