Kirinoumi

Hakuho’s blatant post-match shoves?

Kirinoumi    4

I know many of you will think this a petty topic, and it probably is, but do you remember the hullabaloo a few basho ago after Hakuho got all riled up about Asashoryu's extra shove? Both Yokozuna were roundly criticized for their unbecoming behavior, but I think Asa took the brunt of the blame (as usual). So, what do you make of these two bouts from yesterday?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VTG8nTyRFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW7aSCmxpuk

To me, the Kisenosato shove can be excused as just making sure the other guy was out in an exciting and fast-paced ending to a competitive bout. Plus Kise seems concerned for his opponent's well-being. However, Hakuho's shove is unquestionably an extra motion after the bout is over, and his look is more of a "How d'ya like them apples, punk?" I can almost guarantee that Hakuho himself would not have liked to get that shove from Asashoryu after losing like that. So, is his action here okay because of the rank difference between him and Goeido? Do you honestly think he was just helping Goeido up? Or do we overlook it because he's Hakuho and not Asashoryu?

------------------------------

On a somewhat tangential but still related note, I think I just figured out why I personally can forgive Asashoryu his excesses more easily than I can Hakuho. I think it's that with Asa, his shoves and raised arms are rooted in pure joy at winning and entertaining; whereas Hakuho's shoves and struts seem intended only to emphasize the fact that he has beaten someone and shown that he is superior. Does anyone else feel that way?

How does Hakuho get away with the post-match shoves? He’s practically turned it into its own kimarite... “frontal force out and over the dohyo”

is this only because he is the “Michael Jordan of sumo” and such a singular, generational talent (in my opinion) that he gets away with doing this so often?

Bumpkin    315
42 minutes ago, jranderson222 said:

How does Hakuho get away with the post-match shoves? He’s practically turned it into its own kimarite... “frontal force out and over the dohyo”

is this only because he is the “Michael Jordan of sumo” and such a singular, generational talent (in my opinion) that he gets away with doing this so often?

He does it because he can. Hakuho is, after all, a dai yokozuna. Who, exactly, is going to stop him? The Kyokai? Ha.

Fukurou    376
1 hour ago, jranderson222 said:

He's done it for years.

Katooshu    448

Just curious, as I'm fairly new to the sport, have there been Japanese habitual post-match shovers? I assume there must''ve been but have no real historical knowledge to find examples...

Asojima    1,815

In MOST cases, it follows a well-fought match and appears to be a friendly "good match" gesture.  There is, however, a rare dame oshi shove.

Stein    23
5 hours ago, jranderson222 said:

He gets away because he is the best, but you already knew that.

In my opinion he is a bit of an asshole for doing that, the weird part is that he seems friendly with most of his opponents after he beats them.

I tend to believe that if an oponnent causes too much trouble and makes him unconfortamble (which is exactly what they all should try) he gets into this kind of "id kill yoy" moods for the rest of the bout and shortly after.

Therefore i believe that at this point he just cant control it, like someone said before me, old habits die hard, a spectacular wrestler, but a mediocre sportman.

Swami    100

It's all very well saying he is the best, but Futabayama, Taiho, Kitanoumi and Chiyonofuji didn't do anything like this.

Certainly, he isn't anywhere near as dislikeable as Asashoryu was, but I still wouldn't rate him anywhere near the four aforementioned yokozuna.

Swami

maorencze    62
1 hour ago, Swami said:

It's all very well saying he is the best, but Futabayama, Taiho, Kitanoumi and Chiyonofuji didn't do anything like this.

Certainly, he isn't anywhere near as dislikeable as Asashoryu was, but I still wouldn't rate him anywhere near the four aforementioned yokozuna.

Swami

Which, of course, doesn't mean he ISN'T  the best (possibly best there ever was, always up to debate because of perceived weakening of ranks etc.) and that is of course why he gets away with it.

ryafuji    236
6 hours ago, Swami said:

I seem to remember reading that Kitanoumi was criticized for not helping his opponents back onto the dohyo after beating them.

Swami    100

Hakuho's petulance after today's loss to Yoshikaze has only lowered my estimation of him even more.  Nowhere near as bad as Asashoryu was, but still acting like a spoilt child.

Swami

Fukurou    376

Mods, having one thread titled for Hakuho's misconduct and another titled for his post-match shoves (2 messages from 2009, the rest from this week) seems a little too specific of topic to me. He's been reprimanded by the bosses for the extra shoves before, does that count as misconduct too? Anyway, just a suggestion about a possible merger of appropriate messages.