Kaninoyama

Harumafuji scandal

Kaninoyama    16

Yikes. According to this Yahoo News report (Japanese only), the Takanoiwa injuries came at the hands of none other than fellow Mongolian and Yokozuna Harumafuji. Apparently Harumafuji smashed his head with a beer bottle.

If true, I hate to think what the implications could be for Harumafuji's status as a Yokozuna.

Edited by Kaninoyama
Additional info.
  • Like 1

Bumpkin    231
8 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Yikes. According to this Yahoo News report (Japanese only), the Takanoiwa injuries came at the hands of none other than fellow Mongolian and Yokozuna Harumafuji. Apparently Harumafuji smashed his head with a beer bottle.

If true, I hate to think what the implications could be for Harumafuji's status as a Yokozuna.

If true, this will be the end of Harumafuji. Immediate intai!

• Like 1

Joaoiyama    19
16 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

NANI!?  Source of this info please.

Joaoiyama    19
2 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Sponichi Annex (appearing at the top of Yahoo Japan news)

this is the end for him then, always saw him as the mongolian good guy, im in shock

Kaninoyama    16

We should probably let the facts play out before we jump to conclusions. According to the article this occurred on Oct. 26, so I can't help but wonder why is this only coming to light now, and why no disciplinary action prior to this basho? 

Edited by Kaninoyama
more questions

rhyen    716
32 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

We should probably let the facts play out before we jump to conclusions. According to the article this occurred on Oct. 26, so I can't help but wonder why is this only coming to light now? 

fact gathering? editor submission? legal counsel before publishing?

rhyen    716

Can the moderator please spin this out into a separate thread before it takes over the original thread?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tsuchinoninjin    185

Harumafuji gave an apology after morning keiko

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201711140000280.html

"About Takanoiwa's injury, I give my deepest apologies to Takanohana-oyakata, Takanohana-beya's koenkai, all related people, the Japanese sumo association, and finally to our own heya's oyaka who've I caused much trouble for" 

Sigh, not good :(

• Like 1

His kyujo is not for an injury but the sumo kyokai has opened an investigation into the alleged attack, hence Harumafuji kyujo.

Fukurou    347
5 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

His kyujo is not for an injury but the sumo kyokai has opened an investigation into the alleged attack, hence Harumafuji kyujo.

What alleged attack?

Fukurou    347
14 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

8 minutes ago, Fukurou said:

What alleged attack?

6 minutes ago, specialweek 2 said:

Takanoiwa was allegedly hit by  Harumafuji with a beer bottle back on October 26th. 

Well this makes no sense, let him start the basho then make him withdraw for an investigation of something that happened 3 weeks ago. Either don't let him start or let him finish. But this is the kyokai we're talking about.   (as I type, this is not on the NSK site yet - they can be slow too)

Edited by Fukurou

This raises questions obviously.

The kyokai must have been aware of the incident and hoped to keep it quiet and internal but as it made sport's papers the decision

was made to announce an investigation. Believing the kyokai did not know about it before today would suggest a cover up.

Fukurou    347

Mods, if and when you break out this discussion of Harumafuji's "problem" with the NSK to another thread as Rhyen requested, I think the initial message on this subject is

Edited by Fukurou

Bumpkin    231

It's official. Harumafuji has withdrawn. Will we ever see him again? I think not.

• Sad 1

Fukurou    347
3 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

It's official. Harumafuji has withdrawn. Will we ever see him again? I think not.

It took so long to post he was withdrawing, I was beginning to wonder about that myself. They don't post mid-basho intai on the kyujo list, after all.

Edited by Fukurou

Churaumi    44

What might the police have to say about this?

CT3*    254

This doesn't sound good at all...