Sakura

Basho Talk Kyushu 2017 (SPOILERS)

On 18.11.2017 at 08:13, Kintamayama said:

Wow, they are running VERY late today. First half should be running very, very quickly with two salties max. Still hasn't started and we are at the Hakuhou dohyo iri, which means they will be running 10 minutes late, which is nuts.

I'm surprised if wasn't even worse on Day 8. Just been watching the early sessions, and they had a ton of loooong bouts in jonidan and sandanme, and what must have been at least 10 mono-ii.

Chiyoshōma – Hokutofuji – what the hell was that? Always thought Chiyoshōma was a terrible person, glad he lost.

Kisenosato should pull out. If this is what he’s become he should retire. :(

• Like 3

On 11/17/2017 at 20:05, Akinomaki said:

a new low of most wins of the year is guaranteed - the leader

can't reach 60 wins any longer - that is the low so far under the present 6 basho system since 1958 - by Takanohana(then Takahanada) in 1992.

Hakuho also has 48 now - likely he'll get the most wins

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=6&sum_wins=40&sum_range=6&show_sum=on&form1_year=2017&form1_m=on&sort_by=sum_wins

And now Hakuho is leading to get the double crown - both most most and least most wins of the year - with a huge margin: he has 51 now and 57 is the most he can reach http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2017/11/20/kiji/20171120s00005000263000c.html

- I guess he'll lose one to make the margin even bigger and assure a record low most that won't be sub-passed in quite a while.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't know why Chiyoshoma did what he did, but i don't think a foreigner misbehaving on the dohyo is what people want to see, especially now.

Mixed feelings about this day. Osunaarashi, Gagamaru and Ishiura on the winning side, but all my makuuchi favourites lost, or had to fight each other. The only ray of light was Kaisei, but that could have been his mawashi. I love that colour.

If Ichinojo would fight until it's really over, he not only would be higher on the banzuke, it would make him a lot more likeable. *sigh*

Is there any beef between Onosho and Takakeisho? I hope that was Onosho's last hair pull. You're better than that, boy.

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

Is there any beef between Onosho and Takakeisho? I hope that was Onosho's last hair pull. You're better than that, boy.

I don't know about any beef but Onosho and Takakeisho have been rivals since they were kids. They are only 21. They should both be around for a long time.

With Kisenosato struggling in this tournament (5 kinboshi losses after nine days with the possibility of yet another on Day 10) it is questionable whether he will even KK if indeed he decides to stay in the tournament.  But if he does withdraw, that leaves a Hakuho-Goeido showdown on the Senshuraku.  Even if Goeido learned a lesson from his showdown against Harumafuji in the Akibasho, Hakuho will in all likelihood destroy Goeido, especially if it means securing yet another zenshoyusho!  Not much excitement on the horizon vis-a-vis the Top Division yusho given a lacklustre sanyaku and Hakuho with a 2-win cushion...

1 minute ago, Amamaniac said:

that leaves a Hakuho-Goeido showdown on the Senshuraku.

For there to be a real showdown, Hakuho has to lose at least 2 bouts. And if all hell breaks loose and he really loses 2, Goeido still has to win the next 5 bouts. 

4 minutes ago, Benihana said:

For there to be a real showdown, Hakuho has to lose at least 2 bouts. And if all hell breaks loose and he really loses 2, Goeido still has to win the next 5 bouts. 

Perhaps I should have used the term "match-up"... ;-(

• Like 1

Since getting injured on Day 13 of the Haru Basho, Kisenosato's record is 13(+1)-15-28. As much as I admire his courage, he is now endangering his career. It might already be too late to save it. Harumafuji and Kakuryu, are both, for entirely different reasons, facing possible intai. It is now becoming increasing likely that Hakuho might be the only active Yokozuna in 2018. Who would have thought that?

Edited by Bumpkin
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

One loss would be enough if Goeido keeps winning.

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Even if Goeido learned a lesson from his showdown against Harumafuji in the Akibasho, Hakuho will in all likelihood destroy Goeido, especially if it means securing yet another zenshoyusho!

Winning his 40th yuushou, his 14th zenshou, on his 100th basho...

• Like 1

I normally skip past all the pre-bout proceedings in the lower divisions so maybe I just haven't noticed it happening before, but this was the first time I've seen a yobidashi fixing up a rikishi's mawashi before the bout. (I recall it happening before a torinaoshi once or twice, and it was done ringside, not actually on the dohyo.)

And for good measure Sekizukayama got a talking-to from his shisho Tagonoura after the bout, right there on camera. All very odd.

(Bonus content: The head shimpan's vigorous calls for a new pen at the start of the video. (Laughing...))

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

I normally skip past all the pre-bout proceedings in the lower divisions so maybe I just haven't noticed it happening before, but this was the first time I've seen a yobidashi fixing up a rikishi's mawashi before the bout. (I recall it happening before a torinaoshi once or twice, and it was done ringside, not actually on the dohyo.)

And for good measure Sekizukayama got a talking-to from his shisho Tagonoura after the bout, right there on camera. All very odd.

(Bonus content: The head shimpan's vigorous calls for a new pen at the start of the video. (Laughing...))

Great catch!  Clearly, formality is a lot more lax at the lower division bouts (after all, there aren't that many fans around anyway)!  At the upper divisions, it is more common to see a gyoji tighten a sekitori's belt when a bout is stopped mid-way, but can't say I've ever seen a yobidashi involved...

Where did you see that Kisenosato is out ?  Obviously been expecting it but I checked NSK and its not mentioned as yet.

15 minutes ago, Haruibono said:

Where did you see that Kisenosato is out ?  Obviously been expecting it but I checked NSK and its not mentioned as yet.

Morning TV news Tokyo

3 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

Since getting injured on Day 13 of the Haru Basho, Kisenosato's record is 13(+1)-15-28. As much as I admire his courage, he is now endangering his career. It might already be too late to save it. Harumafuji and Kakuryu, are both, for entirely different reasons, facing possible intai. It is now becoming increasing likely that Hakuho might be the only active Yokozuna in 2018. Who would have thought that?

It is exactly that situation (not to mention Terunofuji's fall from his Ozeki rank – it's too early to say whether Takayasu will follow suit) which makes me think that the kyokai will at least try to salvage Harumafuji's career.  He may not be a contender each and every tournament, but he is still one of the more "dangerous" (pun intended) sekitoris in the Top Division.  What would fans have to look forward to with just Hakuho and Goeido?  Sure, the new up-and-comers would be able to take advantage of the vacuum, but imho they are still too green.

Edited by Amamaniac

Yokozuna Kisenosato has gone kyujo. This is the forth consecutive  basho in which he has gone kyujo.  He has now made only 24 out of a potential 60 appearances. This is heartbreaking. The worst part is there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Kisenosato might never be the same again.

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

It is exactly that situation (not to mention Terunofuji's fall from his Ozeki rank – it's too early to say whether Takayasu will follow suit) which makes me think that the kyokai will at least try to salvage Harumafuji's career.  He may not be a contender each and every tournament, but he is still one of the more "dangerous" (pun intended) sekitoris in the Top Division.  What would fans have to look forward to with just Hakuho and Goeido?  Sure, the new up-and-comers would be able to take advantage of the vacuum, but imho they are still too green.

So they have already forgiven Harumafuji for causing Kisenosato’s injury?

38 minutes ago, rhyen said:

How was that Harumafuji's fault? You mean it was Futahaguro's fault Konishi fucked his knee up?

Just because it happened with him doesn't mean it was his fault.

1 hour ago, rhyen said:

Can't really fault him for that, although Kisenosato fans may be holding a grudge.  

Edited by Amamaniac

20 hours ago, Furuya said:

What baffles me is that if any yokozuna would be allowed the time to have surgery, heal up and return it's the first Japanese one in almost 20 years. Especially after March basho when he was being deified for his efforts. Why wouldn't he have taken advantage of that?

I'm not sure how the course of treatment for a rikishi's injury is decided upon. If surgery is an option, does the oyakata alone have the power to accept it or reject it? Do medical experts have any say at all in the matter? Surgery was an option in the case of Endo's torn ACL and his advisors chose not to take it. I guess they assumed that the recovery period would end up putting him far too down the banzuke. Instead, they alllowed him to compete, lettiing it heal naturally. The result is a knee that is much weaker than it would be if it was surgically repaired. Kisenosato's situation seems similar. I doubt very much if any rikishi, even a yokozuna, can demand to have some sort of medical treatment, including surgery,  without the approval of those in charge of his  heya. If surgery was an option in his case and his advisors elected to avoid it, the result of that choice lies squarely with his oyakata and whoever else advises him. 

The only thing that Kisenosato did "wrong" was to become injured. If this injury causes him to retire because necessary surgery was not performed, he should be regarded merely as the victim of extremely poor decisions by others.

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2