Sakura

Basho Talk Kyushu 2017 (SPOILERS)

13 hours ago, wys said:

Even though Hakuho is maybe nearing the end of his prime, I don't see any serious challengers in the top ranks as of now.

He may be nearing the end of his prime, but that end still seems pretty far away. Right now, he appears to be the same dominating yokozuna he always has been. He said that he wants to remain active while the summer Olympics of 2020 are held in Tokyo. I thought that idea seemed unlikely but I'm now beginning to believe that barring severe injury (always a possibility), he will appear at the Olympics as an active yokozuna and then retire soon afterward--or maybe continue a while longer and add a couple more yushos to his record. That would be an amazing story concerning an amazing yokozuna. 

Edited by sekitori

A nice ipponzeoi koshinage during Terutsuyoshi vs Takagenji...  and some nasty looks thrown Takagenji's way.  No bow, had to return to do so, and another death stare.  Keep in mind Isegahama as shimpan bucho is witnessing all of this.  

Edited by inhashi
  • Like 1

Takagenji yet again provoking the ire of an opponent? He does seem to have some attitude, though I didnt see today's match.

Edited by Katooshu

5 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Takagenji yet again provoking the ire of an opponent?

That and just plain bad manners.  Thankfully he was humbled...  hmm, isn't that Takanohana's job :-/  

• Like 1

Just the usual Taka style-disrespect again for his return juryo basho by Takagenji.

It may be interesting to look closers at all Takanohana-Isegahama bouts of the basho after day 3 -

This http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&year=2017.11&heya1=24&heya2=1082=108

only gives this Takagenji Terutsuyoshi bout after Harumafuji-Takakeisho - in all divisions.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Hokutofuji-Chiyoshoma: 3 (4?) matta and a late, totally needless,  gasp inducing thrust to the face by Chiyoshoma after one of them. Oh well, just ended in a loss for him and another win for Hokutofuji.

And I got to see Takagenji-Terutsuyoshi. What a move!

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, inhashi said:

A nice ipponzeoi koshinage during Terutsuyoshi vs Takagenji...  and some nasty looks thrown Takagenji's way.  No bow, had to return to do so, and another death stare.  Keep in mind Isegahama as shimpan bucho is witnessing all of this.  

https://mobile.twitter.com/KimihiroSuzuki/status/932489373232197632/video/1

Oh no Kise...and against someone he had a 16-1 advantage over :-(

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

What baffles me is that if any yokozuna would be allowed the time to have surgery, heal up and return it's the first Japanese one in almost 20 years. Especially after March basho when he was being deified for his efforts. Why wouldn't he have taken advantage of that? 

3 minutes ago, Furuya said:

What baffles me is that if any yokozuna would be allowed the time to have surgery, heal up and return it's the first Japanese one in almost 20 years. Especially after March basho when he was being deified for his efforts. Why wouldn't he have taken advantage of that? 

Because of the Takanohana precedent, I guess he cannot stay away for too long. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Oh no Kise...and against someone he had a 16-1 advantage over :-(

The fifth kinboshi he granted this basho. Although his March injury (probably rupture of the pec major muscle) healed but he lost significant amount of that muscle's strength.  He may never compete at his preinjury level. 

Five will lead to 10-5 at best. And he still has to fight Hakuho, Takayasu and Goeido. To get 10-5 is bad enouth, but a single digit result is terrible and a MK is unthinkable.
His wish to fight is commendable but it is not wise. He should have quit when he was ahead.

With three such weak performing yokozunae, it is indeed an interesting question: who will retire first? Harumafuji? Kakuryu? Kisenosato?

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I'm not sure if it was ever directly confirmed but from news reports and pictures after the injury it was clear he either tore and very seriously ruptured his pec connection to the upper arm. Drooping pec and massive bruise between bicep and tricep are classic indications and they were all there. I'm not sure if he had it surgically repaired or not but it seems highly suggested for sports performance and the longer you wait the more likely it will fail.

https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/section/898

Could you refresh my memory - was it a muscle torn from the bone, or was the muscle-belly torn? 

5 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Hokutofuji-Chiyoshoma: 3 (4?) matta and a late, totally needless,  gasp inducing thrust to the face by Chiyoshoma after one of them. Oh well, just ended in a loss for him and another win for Hokutofuji.

Yeah, that was completely bogus. The shove to the face will certainly earn him a verbal reprimand. Not that those matter much...

I was really glad to see that Chiyoshouma got blasted off harder than Team Rocket eventually.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

At least Kisenosato gave us ample opportunity to marvel at Takarafuji's perfectly toned buttocks.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, orandashoho said:

Five will lead to 10-5 at best. And he still has to fight Hakuho, Takayasu and Goeido.

Not Takayasu.

1. Hakuho - not a chance for Kise

2. Goeido, Yoshikadze - seems like also not a chance

3. Kotoshogiku, Mitakeumi - yesterday I think 50/50, but today - 1/3. %(

4. Chiyonokuni tomorrow - yesterday I think 100% win, but today - 2/3. %(

After loosing to Ichinojo Kise-s face told everything. Maybe he just wanted win 2 next easy bouts and ends with 6-4 or 7-5. 

You're right, not Takayasu. But a result below 10-5 is not yokozuna worthy. If Ichinojo can topple him, Hakuho and Goeido can beat him for sure. A meagre 8-7 KK is an embarrassment. Sure everyone knows he is injured, but if he mounts the dohyo he is expected to perform like a champion.

If it really is the case that Kisenosato's injury has healed but he has permanently lost power in his left side, then the decision not to have surgery looks like a disastrous one. It looks increasingly like he will have no option but to retire.

35 minutes ago, ryafuji said:

If it really is the case that Kisenosato's injury has healed but he has permanently lost power in his left side, then the decision not to have surgery looks like a disastrous one. It looks increasingly like he will have no option but to retire.

If he was an ozeki, he could still drag on. But he is a yokozuna therefore he is expected to perform at high level. In addition, because of the fact that he is a yokozuna, everyone especially those rank-and-file rikishi will try their best to defeat him for kinboshi and kensho. It's much more demanding and much more competitive to be a yokozuna than being an ozeki.

Edited by Dapeng

2 hours ago, dada78641 said:
8 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Yeah, that was completely bogus. The shove to the face will certainly earn him a verbal reprimand. Not that those matter much...

He got reprimanded and cautioned for both: he alone got blamed for the 3 matta with the standard oral caution for not having the hands down http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20171120/sum17112020570017-n1.html - Hokutofuji got no reprimand

And a light reprimand for unsportsmanlike behaviour - the thrust after the gyoji called the first matta http://mainichi.jp/articles/20171121/k00/00m/050/079000c

• Like 3