Sakura

Basho Talk Kyushu 2017 (SPOILERS)

Both Goeido and Kisenosato faced relentless attacking and just couldnt handle the pressure.

1 hour ago, Morty said:

Poor Kise. His main enemy has always been his brain

“Alright brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so just get me through this basho so I can go back to killing you slowly with beer.”

– Kisenosato Yutaka

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Morty said:

Poor Kise. His main enemy has always been his brain

I blame Kisenosato's fondness for kittens. Darnable and adorable things, he cannot spend enough time with them and it shows up on his performance.

I have to say, big thanks to my man Hokutofuji for giving us the match of the day. What a fantastic way to get a kinboshi, even if clearly Kisenosato is not at the peak of his powers for sure.

• Thanks 1

Watching the full NHK broadcast, it was interesting that a viewer poll revealed that most people wanted to see the bout between the two oldest veterans, Aminishiki and Takekaze, again rather than any other bout in the first half of the Top Division bouts on Day 7.  Frankly, I leaned towards the Endo v. Chiyoshoma bout.  Nevertheless, I say to Aminishiki: "Keep on trucking!"  Another poll revealed that Aminishiki has used the most different kimarite techniques (i.e., 42) of any wrestler (all time?).

The bout between Shohozan and Goeido was intense.  The two went at it with thrusts (no harite) from start to finish.  Shohozan probably spoiled Goeido's chances at a yusho with that ginboshi upset.

As for the two final bouts featuring the two remaining, active Yokozunas, both Hakuho and Kisenosato were facing newcomers Onosho and Hokutofuji respectively for the first times.  The NHK broadcast showed how Hakuho had visited Onosho Stable and practiced/sparred with Onosho prior to the tournament.  Onosho even won their very first practice bout!  But the point is, I think, that Hakuho was scouting the talent and preparing himself for their probable matchup in this tournament.  Not sure if Kisenosato made the effort to do degeiko with Hokutofuji...  Nevertheless, Hokutofuji excelled at staying low and keeping Kisenosato off his mawashi.

I hope I don't jinx him, but I am hoping that this will be Kyokutaisei's breakthrough tournament in the Juryo Division (he still has a lot of work to do, but with a 6-1 record, he has a chance to yusho...).

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

change of the guard happening in upper makushita just now!

up-and-comer Enho just defeated veteran Toyonoshima in convincing fashion.

• Thanks 1

Truly a shame that he lost to Jokoryu. He would still have a massive streak going otherwise. But still, if he goes 5 wins this basho I cannot do anything else than tip my fedora. He is rising up so quickly it makes Ura and Shodai look weak.

Onosho is back in red and back in business! That win may give him the confidence he needs to finish Kyushu with a kachi-koshi.

• Like 2

Kisenosato gave the fourth kinboshi today. Will he withdraw or drag on to break the record of most-kinboshi-given-in-one-basho?  

I'm with Kintamayama, he's probably going to go kyuujou soon. Maybe tomorrow. Kise is having a terrible basho, while Ichinojou is having a terrific one. With their styles and body types I wasn't expecting Kise to pull off a win.

Hokutofuji held on far longer than I thought after Hakuhou had him up against the tawara...

• Like 1

Looks like Hakuho is just going to cruise to his 40th Yusho. Pretty weird to see so little competition in a time with 4 Yokozuna. Kakuryu and Kisenosato have been pulling out of or not even starting the last 4 Basho. 

In other news the young guard looks really good. Onosho and Takakeisho are both only 21 years old. I'm also excited to see if Ichinojo can finally keep this form going. He's a lot more mobile than he used to be all of a sudden again. I also wonder what effect the rest will have on Terunofuji. A healthy Teru is a difficult bout for anyone.

What’s up with Tochiōzan?

Ōnoshō looks like he has really strong legs.

I hope Mitakeumi recovers. Nice record so far despite the injury, though.

I’ll ask again– does Kisenosato have an injury I’m not aware of?

Hakuhō with the dame-oshi. :/

…Aoiyama looked barely able to move. It’s a miracle he got that win. How long will he continue for?

Even though Hakuho is maybe nearing the end of his prime, I don't see any serious challengers in the top ranks as of now. It's almost like a given that he will get the yusho and the contest is really to see who will come in second.  There are several younger rikishi that look promising but they're still leagues away from Hakuho. 

And speaking of younger talent, I'm a huge Takakeisho supporter and he is having an amazing basho, having beaten two yokozuna, one ozeki, and two sekiwake!   Barring any injury or meltdown, he should be able to finish this basho with a great record given that he already faced all the top dogs.  I just hope he stays healthy because it seems like many rikishi are taped up when they enter the dohyo.  I am excited to watch his matchup with his bff Onosho on Day 9!

Cheers,

Edited by wys
typo

9 hours ago, Jyuunomori said:

Truly a shame that he lost to Jokoryu. He would still have a massive streak going otherwise. But still, if he goes 5 wins this basho I cannot do anything else than tip my fedora. He is rising up so quickly it makes Ura and Shodai look weak.

6-1 is still possible. That would be 27-1 career start. OTOH, Abiko (Tsurugisho) also started 27-1 and he's stuck in Juryo. It's not how you start, it's how you finish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dapeng said:

Kisenosato gave the fourth kinboshi today. Will he withdraw or drag on to break the record of most-kinboshi-given-in-one-basho?  

Almost certain to go kyujo. Maybe today. Definitely tomorrow if he loses to No-neck.

Edited by Bumpkin

2 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

I’ll ask again– does Kisenosato have an injury I’m not aware of?

Same injury since March. His left arm and shoulder. It hasn't healed. Probably never will.

14 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Same injury since March. His left arm and shoulder. It hasn't healed. Probably never will.

It’s that bad? Damn…

Lost in all the excitement is the fact that kadoban Ozeki Takayasu is now 5-3. He has S1e Mitakeumi (5-3) today. He still has Y1w Hakuho (8-0), O1e Goeido(6-2), K1e Kotoshogiku (2-6), M3w Hokutofuji (6-2), M4w Ichinojo (7-1) and either M5e Takarafuji (3-5) or M5w Arawashi (7-1). There is no guarantee he will get 8 wins. In January, there could be 4 Yokozuna and 1 Ozeki.

27 minutes ago, ALAKTORN said:

It’s that bad? Damn…

I'm not sure if it was ever directly confirmed but from news reports and pictures after the injury it was clear he either tore and very seriously ruptured his pec connection to the upper arm. Drooping pec and massive bruise between bicep and tricep are classic indications and they were all there. I'm not sure if he had it surgically repaired or not but it seems highly suggested for sports performance and the longer you wait the more likely it will fail.

https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/section/898

• Like 1

Excellent demonstration by Yoshikaze what happens when someone has a plan and the other doesn't (which is usually the case with Takayasu).

Come to think of it, can anybody come up with a Tagonoura(Naruto) rikishi who doesn't have the typical wait-and-see-what-happens approach?

Yay Aoiyama is back - did not expect him to recover so soon

Will take a brave man to bet against Hakuho at this stage...

5 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

I'm not sure if it was ever directly confirmed but from news reports and pictures after the injury it was clear he either tore and very seriously ruptured his pec connection to the upper arm. Drooping pec and massive bruise between bicep and tricep are classic indications and they were all there. I'm not sure if he had it surgically repaired or not but it seems highly suggested for sports performance and the longer you wait the more likely it will fail.

https://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/section/898

The page you linked to suggests he should have put himself under the knife the day he got hurt, and that it might already be too late to hope for a full recovery. 

Ugly stuff. A mixture of tragedy and foolhardiness, and I'm not sure how many parts of each. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, McBugger said:

The page you linked to suggests he should have put himself under the knife the day he got hurt, and that it might already be too late to hope for a full recovery. 

Ugly stuff. A mixture of tragedy and foolhardiness, and I'm not sure how many parts of each. 

I haven't seen anyone parading around with a torn pec on display, but I once saw an American football game during which one of the players tore/ruptured a bicep. OMG that was one of the strangest, most painful looking things I've ever soon seen. The muscle "retracted" in opposite directions from where it tore. There was this huge ball bulging out of his arm. I think he had surgery that night or the next day.

Edited by Fukurou

49 minutes ago, Fukurou said:

I haven't seen anyone parading around with a torn pec on display, but I once saw an American football game during which one of the players tore/ruptured a bicep. OMG that was one of the strangest, most painful looking things I've ever soon. The muscle "retracted" in opposite directions from where it tore. There was this huge ball bulging out of his arm. I think he had surgery that night or the next day.

According to that link, in case of pec major muscle rupture,  rupture of the muscle belly is rare, it is the tendon connecting the muscle to the bone of upper arm that is ruptured. Without surgical repare, the patient will lose more than 40% of the pec muscle strength even after competely healed.

It seems Kisenosato never had a surgical repair and the injury should have completely healed by now. However, his current performance on dohyo indicates he loses much of the left pec major muscle strength.