Sakura

Basho Talk Kyushu 2017 (SPOILERS)

1 hour ago, kawika said:

The master at jikanmae - Naminohana!

Naminohana in the 90s.

"Wakajishi in the 70s and early 80s"

Yeah, it's ever since that loss to Tochiozan that Hakuho has seemed like he's out to get Tochiozan.  I still remember exactly how that bout went and thought, "How the hell does Hakuho lose like that?  He's got to be really pissed."

4 hours ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

Looking forward to Tamawashi v. Yoshikaze tomorrow which should be a slug fest, would be a good match candidate to see first blood of basho for Yoshikaze.

Don't be disappointed if it'll be a simple yorikiri win by Tamawashi.

• Haha 1

Yes! my favourite Hokutofuji is on point this basho.

Now for a kinboshi tomorrow and a sansho after that :-D

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

What's up with Onosho? Is he pulling a Shodai, or is the competition just too stiff this basho? He doesn't seem to be in bad shape. He just can't catch any breaks.

Takakashio having the basho of his very young life...strong and fast. Hokotofuji looking great as well. 

• Like 1

Harumafuji's career is most likely over because of the incident. There were already intai talks but this should seal it.

However, I find it strange Kakuryu doesn't get more looks. In 2017 he has completed only 1 Basho and even that was only with a 10-5. He has 18 wins over the entire year. When is the last time a Yokozuna dropped out that often, at this stage of their career, without having to retire?

11 minutes ago, YoungSumo said:

Harumafuji's career is most likely over because of the incident. There were already intai talks but this should seal it.

However, I find it strange Kakuryu doesn't get more looks. In 2017 he has completed only 1 Basho and even that was only with a 10-5. He has 18 wins over the entire year. When is the last time a Yokozuna dropped out that often, at this stage of their career, without having to retire?

Yokozuna Takanohana missed seven straight basho!

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=2

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taikoubana said:

What's up with Onosho? Is he pulling a Shodai, or is the competition just too stiff this basho? He doesn't seem to be in bad shape. He just can't catch any breaks.

I see this now and then. They do decent sumo but keep losing. Onosho has the talent and will do well, but he needs to learn 'winning sumo'; namely how to win even when you aren't looking great. Mitakeumi is already very good at this. He generally finds a way.

3 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Yes! my favourite Hokutofuji is on point this basho.

Now for a kinboshi tomorrow and a sansho after that :-D

Hokutofuji looks pretty solid and is in the zone. He has a reasonable chance of kinboshi tomorrow. ;)

3 hours ago, Philioyamfugi said:

Takakashio having the basho of his very young life...strong and fast. Hokotofuji looking great as well. 

Takakeisho's second time in the jo'i and it is clear he learned from the first. Guaranteed sansho if he gets his eight.

Hakuhou using his airborne leg to help throw Shouhouzan at the last second reminds me of his extraordinary yaguranage against Okinoumi two Kyushu bashos ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Yeah, it's ever since that loss to Tochiozan that Hakuho has seemed like he's out to get Tochiozan.  I still remember exactly how that bout went and thought, "How the hell does Hakuho lose like that?  He's got to be really pissed."

It looks particularly vindictive to me. And Tochiozan's fear is palpable. Should I say 'terror'? He can barely mask it. I am no fan of Hakuho and this is one of the reasons, not that I don't appreciate his unparallelled achievements. But I've never liked him much. He panders (pandas??) too much to the fans, name-dropping all the old greats way too much for my liking. But that's just my personal feeling. ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pandaazuma said:

Takakeisho's second time in the jo'i and it is clear he learned from the first. Guaranteed sansho if he gets his eight.

4-2 at M1w (13th spot overall on this banzuke) after facing all available Y/O and Yoshikaze hints at more than just eight to me... won't be too surprised with 11.

Just now, McBugger said:

4-2 at M1w (13th spot overall on this banzuke) after facing all available Y/O and Yoshikaze hints at more than just eight to me... won't be too surprised with 11.

Well I would not be surprised either, but it is often the case that jo'i jin do well against the Y/O and then lose quite a few to lesser guys. He seems focused so eight looks very likely. Hope he makes ten plus!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of promising newcomers, Hokutofuji, aka the man previously but also currently (but especially previously) known as Daiki seems to be in good nick. Kisenosato tomorrow will be a telling bout for both of them.

8 minutes ago, McBugger said:

Speaking of promising newcomers, Hokutofuji, aka the man previously but also currently (but especially previously) known as Daiki seems to be in good nick. Kisenosato tomorrow will be a telling bout for both of them.

Yeah he is quality.

Hakuho proving once again why he is the GOAT using his leg to turn Shohozan's throw against him. He's looking imperious

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

I see this now and then. They do decent sumo but keep losing. Onosho has the talent and will do well, but he needs to learn 'winning sumo'; namely how to win even when you aren't looking great. Mitakeumi is already very good at this. He generally finds a way.

Oddly enough, Onosho's iffy footwork and general bad timing this basho look very much like he used to be back in juryo. 

1 minute ago, Asashosakari said:

Oddly enough, Onosho's iffy footwork and general bad timing this basho look very much like he used to be back in juryo. 

Yes it is worrying. He seems to be trying too hard. Hoping he calms down a bit!

That was a back-and-forth bout (literally) between Mitakeumi and Onosho, feel like Onosho's missing a bit of luck this basho with the way some of his bouts went.

1 hour ago, Pandaazuma said:

He keeps fighting like he has been and he'll totally deserve it.

2 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Yes it is worrying. He seems to be trying too hard. Hoping he calms down a bit!

I guess nobody watches my promo vids. I was very specific about why he is going to crash. I will not repeat myself as punishment. I have a health certificate for that too.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Takakeishou is nothing more than a young Toyonoshima. Up and down the Joey ranks he will go, hitting sekiwake here and there and getting occasional kin and gin boshis. Yoshikaze-like. Akinoshima esque.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Haha 1