Sakura

Basho Talk Kyushu 2017 (SPOILERS)

The announcement on sponavi maybe was looking not so good -  we might get something better, but will we? Sponavi announced the end of their sumo broadcast service as end of the year https://cf.sports.mb.softbank.jp/ext/info/info_20171126.html

This was the last basho they did, the videos stay till Dec. 31st. (not the live streams anyway)

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Confused 1

Aminishiki shedding tears of joy is the best thing i've seen this basho.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Kuroyama said:

Aminishiki is in tears after getting his KK.

KK and Kanto-sho. A lot riding on that match.

And the basho claims another victim in Chiyonokuni who seemed to hurt his right foot or ankle as he and Takekaze went tumbling down. (Or possibly even earlier in the bout; he stepped in quite awkwardly a couple of times as they went on.)

Edited by Asashosakari

2 sanyaku spots opened and Hokutofuji 3rd in line >:-( 

If they don't create an extra spot he'll be the first ever maegashira 3 to go 11-4 and stay maegashira for the next basho.

Edited by Katooshu

1 minute ago, Asashosakari said:

And now for the 14-1 playoff between Hakuho and Sokokurai... B-)

That'd be awesome (Laughing...)

Nice try by Chokeido, though.

5 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

And now for the 14-1 playoff between Hakuho and Sokokurai... B-)

Followed by Hakuho vs Jonokuchi's Kotoseigo :-D

Why are they giving a kantosho to a 8-7 M13? 

such an incredibly stupid move :-(

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Because I know its a matter of great interest to some of the sherming9 regulars, the macaron was gold this time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Poor Takekaze wasn't able to salvage his KK, but coming back from where he was to finish 7-8 and save his makuuchi basho streak was impressive.

Well, there's a story to that 8-7 M13, persisting through injury to become the oldest to ever make it back to makuuchi. I think I've read here that the press vote on the sansho and the decisions often reflect which winning performaces were making headlines and getting talked about.

But yes, I can certainly see why people would think an 8-7 at that rank isnt worthy, regardless of who gets it.

Edited by Katooshu

How nice, Hakuho asking Sokokurai to be the flag bearer this time.

edit: anyone got the transcript from the Yusho interview?

Edited by rhyen

Congrat to Sokokuria, Amininshiki and the young uns. Toyonoshima KK at 5-2. Gagamaru and osunirashi both KK to stay in the paid ranks. Even though the Hak was a shoe in for the win it was an enjoyable Basho.

7 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Like last basho a severely decimated sanyaku group at the senshuraku kyokai-go-aisatsu. Hakkaku seemed very affected by the ongoing scandal and more - several times he had to pause and couldn't read on.

Why was Onosho there instead of Ichinojo?

There is an old saying in Russian pyramid billiards. It says, seven ain't eight. Onosho is a brilliant example of that. 

Sorry for another billiards reference.

Aminishiki... Legend. Nothing else needs to be said.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yamasanzan said:

Why was Onosho there instead of Ichinojo?

That they were down to 6 made them look just that, but the kyokai go-aisatsu is for all real sanyaku and not equal to those in the sanyaku soroibumi. Onosho is komusubi, Ichinojo plain maegashira.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

That's a wrap. I think it was a great basho despite all the shenanigans. Some thoughts:

• At around the start of the makuuchi block, the announcer asked Mainoumi if Hakuhou could reach 50. He says, "that depends on the other rikishi..." and agreed that he could definitely see it happen if things stay the way they are. "Please don't say 50...", Kitanoumi Kitanofuji replied with a smile.
  • I'm so glad Aminishiki's got his KK on the final day. And the Fighting Spirit prize. The interview was amazing to watch, tears rolling down his face. Very moving to see.
  • Goueidou did quite well in his bout against Hakuhou. I expected him to go down more quickly. But he made a very good showing. Frantically tried and failed to break Hakuhou's grip.
  • The young guns keep rocking on. Takakeishou, Ounoshou and Hokutofuji did a fantastic job. And they all fought at M3 and up, meaning they more or less had to fight the same matches as the top dogs.
  • Speaking of Hokutofuji, I became a fan of his clever sumo and excellent ring sense last year when he joined makuuchi and I saw his matches for the first time. He got one kinboshi each basho for the last three. His matches are always fun to watch and I'm glad he's continuing to do well.
  • Okinoumi is finally over whatever injury or trouble he had. I'm glad, because it was awful to watch him struggle so much at the lower maegashira ranks.
  • Ichinojou is doing well again! At M4, no less! If he can only just keep this up...
  • Controversial yuushou interview with Hakuhou. Japan Times has an article on it.
Edited by dada78641

How come no one is talking about Kise returning to a Y1 next basho? 

2 minutes ago, dada78641 said:

That's a wrap. I think it was a great basho despite all the shenanigans. Some thoughts:

• At around the start of the makuuchi block, the announcer asked Mainoumi if Hakuhou could reach 50. He says, "that depends on the other rikishi..." and agreed that he could definitely see it happen if things stay the way they are. "Please don't say 50...", Kitanoumi replied with a smile.

You might be referring to Kitanofuji in the broadcast booth.

• Like 1

Just now, Otokonoyama said:

You might be referring to Kitanofuji in the broadcast booth.

You're right, my bad!

9 minutes ago, Rocks said:

How come no one is talking about Kise returning to a Y1 next basho? 

Would happen if (and only if) Harumafuji goes intai.

• Like 1