Sakura

Basho Talk Kyushu 2017 (SPOILERS)

19 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Hakuho with his win today - and Mitakeumi losing and Takayasu out - has now ensured really low most wins of the year for him - 56 at the most - I had expected a slightly other kind of loss by him though. If he loses the remaining 2, who of Mitakeumi, Hokutofuji and Takakeisho wins his remaining 2 would join him. http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=6&sum_wins=40&sum_range=6&show_sum=on&form1_year=2017&form1_m=on&sort_by=sum_wins

which is on day 15 (if it is)

- on day 16 only in the database (though it would happen when the day is officially over)

Yes, but if i had said only in a playoff, the quiz would have been ruined.. as for Hakuhou  - having the most wins of the year while missing a basho and two thirds speaks volumes about how way above everyone else he still is right now..

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Washuyama said:

Isn't it Murray Johnson?

I was guessing either him or John Gunning. I haven't heard either speak enough to be able to ID on something like this.

5 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I'm watching his performance every day thinking it may the last - intai of Harumafuji would be the end of his duties. Have other performers stopped doing it the day their yokozuna went intai or have they kept doing it for a while?

I did not think about that, now I will! I was outside the Kokugikan one time and he pulled up on his bike and walked inside. I was like, hey I know you! I didn't say that out loud.

2 hours ago, Fukurou said:

I was guessing either him or John Gunning. I haven't heard either speak enough to be able to ID on something like this.

Uh-oh: we owls can't have two continents upset at us. Murray Johnson is from Australia and John Gunning is from Ireland. Of course, it's tough to identify either if you haven't heard them speak often. The narrator of the bow twirling ceremony clip (and thank you for sharing the segment) is absolutely Murray Johnson.

Hakuho avoided disaster twice in his bout against Takarafuji.  I've seen wrestlers get out of trouble near the tawara by spinning, but rarely twice in one bout!  Hakuho can now add Mr. Teflon to his many other monikers. ;-)  

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Hakuho can now add Mr. Teflon to his many other monikers. ;-)  

If only DiCaprio wasn't too old when his life will be picturized.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Screeching__Owl said:

Uh-oh: we owls can't have two continents upset at us. Murray Johnson is from Australia and John Gunning is from Ireland. Of course, it's tough to identify either if you haven't heard them speak often. The narrator of the bow twirling ceremony clip (and thank you for sharing the segment) is absolutely Murray Johnson.

Shall I make it worse for me? I've heard Murray call horse racing from Japan (on TV) many times  (Oops!)

To put it in perspective several times rikishi have managed to get 55 wins in a single calendar year and never leave Juryo within that year..

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Hakuho avoided disaster twice in his bout against Takarafuji.  I've seen wrestlers get out of trouble near the tawara by spinning, but rarely twice in one bout!  Hakuho can now add Mr. Teflon to his many other monikers. ;-)  

Mr Footwork would be more accurate :-). I've always said that Hak would have been a hell of a dancer had he preferred that to sumo

Edited by Morty
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Morty said:

Mr Footwork would be more accurate :-). I've always said that Hak would have been a hell of a dancer had he preferred that to sumo

A very...big...dancer...

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

Had to cap this one early, just for those first five seconds of the bout:

What's the saying about the bark and the bite? (Laughing...)

5 hours ago, Morty said:

That was something of a cross between the twist and a lindy hop.

Sole most wins of the year now for Hakuho, except

9 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

To put it in perspective several times rikishi have managed to get 55 wins in a single calendar year and never leave Juryo within that year..

this year, Onosho also has the same number of wins as of day 14 - it would be fun if he wins tomorrow and Hakuho loses - to have most wins of the year, but not really

On 17.11.2017 at 20:05, Akinomaki said:

the award goes only for wins in makuuchi - Onosho actually has 49 wins in 2017 since after day 1 http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=6&sum_wins=40&sum_range=6&show_sum=on&form1_year=2017&form1_month=1&sort_by=sum_wins

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

40th Yusho, wow! Does anyone know how many of those 40 Yushos were won before senshuraku?

2 hours ago, Taikoubana said:

40th yusho for Hak! Will he try to reach 50, or was 40 the end goal? And is it possible for him to reach 50?

He once said he'll stay as active rikishi until Tokyo Olimpic. That's 16 bashos more. If he wins two-third of them, he will reach yusho #50. But if he only wins half of them, he'll reach yusho 48, which is more realistic.

• Like 2

Hakuho, after kyujo for 2 bashos, still wins the most winings this year. He is still far better than all the other makuuchi rikishies. 

Edited by Dapeng

3 hours ago, Taikoubana said:

40th yusho for Hak! Will he try to reach 50, or was 40 the end goal?

I think now his goal is 45 - to have more than double that of Taka

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Then 48 to double Kitanoumi, 

then 50 to double Asashoryu.

then try to be active until 40 years old.

8 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Had to cap this one early, just for those first five seconds of the bout:

That was like "wax on, wax off" at warp speed . . .

Speaking of Hakuho, it is scary to think he will still only be 35 years old when the Tokyo Olympics takes place. Assuming he stays relatively healthy, I can see him continuing on for several years more after the Olympics, which will put all his records out of reach for a long time unless a supernatural event occurs.

Edited by wys

1 hour ago, Dapeng said:

Hakuho, after kyujo for 2 bashos, still wins the most winings this year. He is still far better than all the other makuuchi rikishies. 

He's probably better than most of juryo too.

1 hour ago, Dapeng said:

He once said he'll stay as active rikishi until Tokyo Olimpic. That's 16 bashos more. If he wins two-third of them, he will reach yusho #50. But if he only wins half of them, he'll reach yusho 48, which is more realistic.

Hakuho and realistic dont go together

• Thanks 1

Hakuhou is averaging a sliver under 13 wins in basho where he's fought 15 bouts from the top 16.  Who do we have in makuuchi right now who can get a 13-2 record?

Harumafuji-  has had 13+ 3 times in the past 4 years. And that's if he doesn't retire. Still the biggest threat to Hakuhou right now. Iff he's healthy.

Kakuryuu- has had 13+ once as a yokozuna, and his oyakata and body seem to have his days numbered.

Kisenosato- probably not coming back to full strength ever again if the injury reports are true

Takayasu- not yet

Terunofuji, Kotoshougiku- not anymore

Goueidou- paging @Benevolance to be funnier than me

And the other makuuchi rikishi have a roughly 1/20 chance combined of reaching a playoff or higher record, and most of those hypothetical chances should end up as playoff losses. 

Seems to me that if Hakuhou can get his name on every day 15 torikumi board he could get 5 yusho next year.

• Like 1