Sakura

Basho Talk Kyushu 2017 (SPOILERS)

Takayasu out is a bummer :(, but I'm happy for my man Tsuyukusa (Sandanme 79). Talked to him very briefly at the start of this basho, he was kind of conservative about his chances. Now he's close to netting his first small yusho!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hiroshitakubo said:

Takayasu out is a bummer :(, but I'm happy for my man Tsuyukusa (Sandanme 79). Talked to him very briefly at the start of this basho, he was kind of conservative about his chances. Now he's close to netting his first small yusho!

he'll be in Makushita next basho, too!

Edited by Senkoho
  • Like 1

Still, Hakuho leads by one win. Probably yusho on senshuuraku.

Congratulations to Sokokurai. Juryo yusho on day-13 and back to makuuchi next basho.

• Like 1

Absolutely hilarious final bout of the day. Even Hakuhou was smiling afterwards. Takarafuji totally hoodwinked him. Hokutofuji, watching on the sidelines, probably had three heart attacks.

Two more matches. I hope the Hakkaku pair still get a shot at the title, and if not I hope they both get the jun-yuushou.

• Like 2

Satonofuji has today become the most prolific yumitori-shiki performer of the Heisei era, with his 418th performance moving him ahead of Wakakaze. It also puts him into second place on the all-time list of most performances, although I think it's unlikely he'll reach Edonohana's record of 637.

Artwork I stumbled across a while back:

Satonofuji.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Satonofuji has today become the most prolific yumitori-shiki performer of the Heisei era, with his 418th performance moving him ahead of Wakakaze. It also puts him into second place on the all-time list of most performances, although I think it's unlikely he'll reach Edonohana's record of 637.

I'm watching his performance every day thinking it may the last - intai of Harumafuji would be the end of his duties. Have other performers stopped doing it the day their yokozuna went intai or have they kept doing it for a while?

40 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

I'm watching his performance every day thinking it may the last - intai of Harumafuji would be the end of his duties. Have other performers stopped doing it the day their yokozuna went intai or have they kept doing it for a while?

If you mean a mid-basho situation, the last such example was Musashifuji, who saw the 2003 Kyushu basho through to the end after Musashimaru's intai halfway through. That was never going to happen here though due to all the conflicting stories and facts up in the air with Harumafuji's scandal.

Minanosato had one more basho after Asashoryu's intai before handing the bow to Chiyonohana.

• Thanks 2

All props to the bow twirler of the yumitori-shiki, the bow twirling ceremony. That is not an easy job.

This is from NHK World Sumopedia earlier this year (I can't identify the narrator)

Edited by Fukurou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Satonofuji has today become the most prolific yumitori-shiki performer of the Heisei era, with his 418th performance moving him ahead of Wakakaze. It also puts him into second place on the all-time list of most performances, although I think it's unlikely he'll reach Edonohana's record of 637

When was the last time someone other than Satonofuji did the yumitori-shiki?

8 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

When was the last time someone other than Satonofuji did the yumitori-shiki?

Mizuguchi (previously Shoho) was the performer in 2015 Hatsu, his final time with the bow.

lol! Well, Chiyoshoma sure did want that win today with that everything and the kitchen sink approach. Just found it humorous. 

Poor Takarafuji, man...just not able to capitalize on his positioning. Probably still kicking himself...

• Like 1

Forget about Hakuhou, did anyone catch Takarafuji's tsukebito smiling after the bout? 

Only 3 men have a mathematical chance of winning the Yusho. Y1w Hakuho (12-1), M3w Hokutofuji (11-2) and M12e Okinoumi (11-2). On Day 14, Hakuho faces M9e Endo (9-4), Hokutofuji faces K1w Onosho (6-7) and Okinoumi faces M1e Tamawashi (9-4). It's a shame Okinoumi won't get the opportunity to face Hakuho. I guess it's too great a rank differential. Okinoumi could face Hokutofuji on Day 15.

Just now, Bumpkin said:

Only 3 men have a mathematical chance of winning the Yusho. Y1w Hakuho (12-1), M3w Hokutofuji (11-2) and M12e Okinoumi (11-2). On Day 14, Hakuho faces M9e Endo (9-4), Hokutofuji faces K1w Onosho (6-7) and Okinoumi faces M1e Tamawashi (9-4). It's a shame Okinoumi won't get the opportunity to face Hakuho. I guess it's too great a rank differential. Okinoumi could face Hokutofuji on Day 15.

No he can't, and you know the reason..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Oops, they both are in Hakkaku beya.

10 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

He could in a tomoe-sen

1 hour ago, Fukurou said:

(I can't identify the narrator)

Isn't it Murray Johnson?

• Like 2

Is there any chance the Kyokai will replace the traditional top 2 last match of the last day. Instead of Y1w Hakuho (12-1) vs O1e Goeido (8-5), have Y1w Hakuho vs M12e Okinoumi (11-2)?

15 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

That's not what he meant. Endou throws Hakuhou into the 4th row tomorrow, and in retaliation Hakuhou throws Goueidou into the 4th row on day 15 (falling on a seat which will by then be empty because the old lady who has the ticket for it will be kyujo after getting hit by a flying Hakuhou). Meanwhile in the undercard bouts both Okinoumi and Hokutofuji win out and we end up with sexy 3-way tomoesen action. Which leads to Okinoumi facing Hokutofuji on day 15.

Come on man, follow the plot. You must be new here. If you'll excuse me I have a salad to eat.

Edited by McBugger
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

He could in a tomoe-sen

Yes, but he said day 15, not playoff..

Hakuho with his win today - and Mitakeumi losing and Takayasu out - has now ensured really low most wins of the year for him - 56 at the most - I had expected a slightly other kind of loss by him though. If he loses the remaining 2, who of Mitakeumi, Hokutofuji and Takakeisho wins his remaining 2 would join him. http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=6&sum_wins=40&sum_range=6&show_sum=on&form1_year=2017&form1_m=on&sort_by=sum_wins

13 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Yes, but he said day 15, not playoff..

which is on day 15 (if it is)

- on day 16 only in the database (though it would happen when the day is officially over)

Edited by Akinomaki