Sakura

Basho Talk Kyushu 2017 (SPOILERS)

8 hours ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

I noticed Mitakeumi has been wearing a mouthguard the last two days, most prominently during day 9 coverage. Anyone know what happened? Just a busted mouth from previous basho? Been traveling past couple days so I haven't been able to see much extended coverage or read up on further results.

Mitakeumi wears that mouthguard all the time, I'm pretty sure I've never seen him without it (EDIT: on the dohyo, I mean ;)).
Last year there was a discussion about this:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/35496-basho-talk-nagoya-basho-2016-spoiler-alert/?do=findComment&comment=310377

Edited by MrGrumpyGills

42 minutes ago, MrGrumpyGills said:

Mitakeumi wears that mouthguard all the time, I'm pretty sure I've never seen him without it.
Last year there was a discussion about this:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/35496-basho-talk-nagoya-basho-2016-spoiler-alert/?do=findComment&comment=310377

He might want to consider some further protection for tomorrows bout.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

Btw is that the famous wig guy who is pointing and laughing at Endo (Laughing...)

Yep, Bad Wig man

Oh, right, I have a reliable source for juryo now...

Yes, Osunaarashi is a rough fighter, but see the way he catches his opponent there at the edge. And he so often offers his opponent a helping hand after the conclusion of the match. For all the rough edges in his sumo, he's a sweet guy. I really hope he can get it together for a return to makuuchi someday soon.

On another note, I'm sorry that this dreadful display from the dai-yokozuna buried my man Hokutofuji's brilliant win against Goeidou... that guy's got a proper ring sense and the power to match it. I think he'll be M1e next tournament.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dada78641 said:

On another note, I'm sorry that this dreadful display from the dai-yokozuna buried my man Hokutofuji's brilliant win against Goeidou... that guy's got a proper ring sense and the power to match it. I think he'll be M1e next tournament.

Hokutofuji is going places, no doubt about it. You're right, that was an excellent performance. 

• Like 1

Aminishiki had a little trouble getting his KK today.  But his bout against Shodai was interesting for a couple of reasons: (1)  In his second to last corner, Aminiishiki called for water from the yobidashi – a veteran move (I haven't seen that done before, and I doubt a greenhorn would even dare to ask).  Aminishiki is one cool dude.  (2) Then, just before the tachi-ai, the crowd went silent!  You could literally hear a pin drop.  That was another first for me...  

His opponent tomorrow is Okinoumi (currently in a tie for 2nd place).  That should be an interesting and somewhat important bout.

Edited by Amamaniac

Been meaning to ask - anyone willing to summarize the mono-ii announcement here? Torinaoshi was a bit of a weird decision at first glance.

6 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Been meaning to ask - anyone willing to summarize the mono-ii announcement here? Torinaoshi was a bit of a weird decision at first glance.

Didn't understand the announcement, but I would guess that it was a simultaneous foot drag.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

From what I could understand, the shimpancho said that both wrestlers fell at the same time.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see whom Y1w Hakuho (10-1) faces on Day 13. Assuming Hakuho faces O1w Takayasu (8-3) on Day 14 and O1e Goeido (7-4) on Day 15. Will Hakuho face M5e Takarafuji (6-5) or M5w Arawashi (7-4) or, perhaps, M12e Okinoumi (9-2).  My guess is Okinoumi.

Edited by Bumpkin

12 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

It will be interesting to see whom Y1w Hakuho (10-1) faces on Day 13. Assuming Hakuho faces O1w Takayasu (8-3) on Day 14 and O1e Goeido (7-4) on Day 15. Will Hakuho face M5e Takarafuji (6-5) or M5w Arawashi (7-4) or, perhaps, M12e Okinoumi (9-2).  My guess is Okinoumi.

It's Mitakeumi, and he beat Haku the last time they met.

Looks like Hokutofuji yusho amirite? I wish ...

mitahak.jpg

3 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

It's Mitakeumi, and he beat Haku the last time they met.

They fight on Day 12.  Day 13's torikumi has yet to be decided...

39 minutes ago, Asojima said:

Didn't understand the announcement, but I would guess that it was a simultaneous foot drag.

Yeah, I was wondering if that's what they based it on.

32 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

They are traditionalists. Takarafuji.

Edited by rhyen
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

My guess is Okinoumi.

Okinoumi is East Maegashira 12.  (That is quite a gap from Hakuho.)  If he wins against Aminishiki on Day 12, they may well feed him to Goeido or Takayasu, but I doubt he will go up against Hakuho.  My guess would be Arawashi (WM5)... 

8 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

They fight on Day 12.  Day 13's torikumi has yet to be decided...

Sorry i was thinking about tomorrow's match, so yeah i think Okinoumi he's 9-2 and a threat for his yusho, but i dont know exactly how they make the match-up's.

I feel that there have been less monoii calls in this basho than usual.  But thankfully, shimpan's decision were correct in most, if not all, close matches.  Kudos to the shimpans.

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

He said the gyoji raised his gunbai for the man on the west but they both hit at the same time so do-over. 

Edited by John Gunning
  • Like 2

Was merely going to post about Hokutofuji, then saw what Hak did so was going to have a rant, saw the spilt thread and so back to just our boy Hokutofuji...

He has potential, so much potential. He has class, he has the right attitude, he's learning in the joi, showing and giving respect whilst giving his all. He was always on the radar, but this basho I have loved what i've seen and cannot wait to see what is to come (barring injuries of course...)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shatsume said:

Was merely going to post about Hokutofuji, then saw what Hak did so was going to have a rant, saw the spilt thread and so back to just our boy Hokutofuji...

He has potential, so much potential. He has class, he has the right attitude, he's learning in the joi, showing and giving respect whilst giving his all. He was always on the radar, but this basho I have loved what i've seen and cannot wait to see what is to come (barring injuries of course...)

A fresh of air after all the !#$!#@ pulled by Harumafuji, Chioshoma, and Hak of late.   I loved the kid, even when he beat my man, Mitakeumi.    I hope he stays healthy and keep climbing up the latter.

Onosho looked good in the last basho (a la Takakeisho in this basho).  Onosho keeps falling forward in this basho - over eager, lack of balance?  He and Takakeisho will reverse their position in the next basho and I'd love to see does better.   They remind me of Mitakeumi & Shodai, taking turns at bettering each other.   Of late though, Mitakeumi has separated himself from Shodai.

3 hours ago, rhyen said:

They are traditionalists. Takarafuji.

Probably true in this circumstance.  If Okinoumi was undefeated and Hakuho had a loss then I think they would put him up against the Yokozuna for sure.  With 2 losses and another challenger in Hokutofuji with a similar record, i doubt Okinoumi gets the call to face Hakuho

6 hours ago, Bumpkin said:

There is no guarantee that Hakuho will beat Mitakeumi. If he loses and Okinoumi wins, they will be tied for first. Unfortunately, the Day 13 torikumi will be released before today's bouts. We shall see in about an hour.

Edited by Bumpkin

1 hour ago, Bumpkin said:

There is no guarantee that Hakuho will beat Mitakeumi. If he loses and Okinoumi wins, they will be tied for first. Unfortunately, the Day 13 torikumi will be released before today's bouts. We shall see in about an hour.

And, Takarafuji gets Hakuho on Day 13.

• Thanks 1