Sakura

Basho Talk Kyushu 2017 (SPOILERS)

rhyen    953
33 minutes ago, Taikoubana said:

This nicely put-together montage of his career as a Yokozuna feels like a bad sign.

I think that is part of the year in review flashback that is always part & parcel of Kyushu Basho fillers. 

robnplunder    185

Aminishiki keeps on trucking albeit against hapless Aoiyama who looks still injured.    Aoiyama can't put any weight on the injured knee it seems.  He will likely go kyujo before this basho is over.

Dapeng    124
9 hours ago, Qwerry said:

How ironicaly.

Haruma injured Kise. And now them both thinking about intai. 

Three of the four current yokozuna may retire during the January Basho of 2018. We'll probably only have Hakuho remaining active in 2018 ......

• Sad 2

Bumpkin    351
7 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

Three of the four current yokozuna may retire during the January Basho of 2018. We'll probably only have Hakuho remaining active in 2018 ......

I know it won't happen but... Hakuho "could" retire as well. 40 Yushos. Nothing left to prove. The Boss.

kumoryu    54

What are the chances of Kotoshogiku retiring now after a make-koshi, and loss of his sanyaku status, at his "home" basho?

Dapeng    124
37 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

I know it won't happen but... Hakuho "could" retire as well. 40 Yushos. Nothing left to prove. The Boss.

Well, even he decides to retire after this basho with yusho 40, the kyokai will not approve.

rhyen    953
22 minutes ago, kumoryu said:

What are the chances of Kotoshogiku retiring now after a make-koshi, and loss of his sanyaku status, at his "home" basho?

@Fay would hit you with a beer bottle for making such a suggestion.

Anyway, he needs to earn enough dough to support his family and his eventual heya, so I doubt he can afford to retire just yet.

ryafuji    272
1 hour ago, rhyen said:

@Fay would hit you with a beer bottle for making such a suggestion.

Anyway, he needs to earn enough dough to support his family and his eventual heya, so I doubt he can afford to retire just yet.

I would have thought that financial backing from his koenkai would be the source for funding an eventual heya rather than just sticking it out in the maegashira ranks for a few more basho.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bumpkin    351
2 hours ago, kumoryu said:

50-50. I was thinking the same thing. The look on his face seemed to say, "It's over."

Adil    155

Loved the chess match between Hakuho and Ichinojo. I noticed that Hakuho broke Ichinojo's left hand grip almost exactly the way he did against Harumafuji in Natsu 17:

My hopes of Osunaarashi becoming a top rikishi in makuuchi have been going down steadily over the years because of all his injuries. It was almost too painful to see him today after his victory as he stood by the dohyo waiting to give the chikaramizu to the rikishi getting ready for the next match. He appeared to be in incredible pain. He could barely lift his right hand to even take the chikaramizu ladle from the yobidashi.  

Even though he's not one the glamorous rikishi (Ha! For some reason I just remembered the 1980s WWF tag team, The Glamour Girls), the thing I love about Takarafuji is that he fights very intelligently. He must study his opponents very closely because I have noticed that he always makes it very difficult for his opponent to employ his signature style, whatever it may be. Notice how he didn't let Chiyomaru use his signature 'extend-both-arms-and-instant-pull+extend-both-arms-and-instant-pull' today. He also makes it difficult for his opponents to get to his belt. 

I am now ready to take my bets off Osunaarashi and Chiyootori and place them on Hokutofuji. I love watching his matches. Here's looking forward to a career that isn't plagued too much by debilitating injuries (it's useless to hope for an injury-free career in sumo). Speaking of which, the thing that I have started to admire the most about Hakuho is his ability to limit the effect of injuries on his career. The dude has been at the very top for a long time and he still looks so sharp, although I've been reading for years on this forum that 'Oh, he's way past his prime and he'll retire at the end of this year'. Well, I'm a sumo noob who only started watching in 2012 and maybe he is past his prime, but to think that he can still be the top dog in pretty much each and every basho that he competes in even ten years after his promotion to the rank of yokozuna is amazing. To put this in perspective, look at how some of the others at the top of the current banzuke have fared with injuries:

Harumafuji (injury department store with knees, elbows and ankles gone)

Kakuryu (one tournament completed this whole year)

Kisenosato (hasn't completed a tournament since his promotion and looks like a wreck even when he does compete)

Terunofuji (his career at the top was effectively ended after that devastating knee injury against the aforementioned Kisenosato)

Kotoshogiku (his once formidable gaburi yoris are not what they used to be)

Yes, I am starting to believe that the number one factor that makes Hakuho one of the greatest of all time (sorry Konishiki, but you don't know what you are talking about when you say Hakuho might not even be an ozeki in your day) is his ability to adapt his style in a way that allows him to be an unstoppable force at a time in his career when many top rikishi become so broken down that there's no place for them to go but down the banzuke.  

Damn! When I started this message, I was planning to write only two lines. Sheesh!

• Like 5

Benihana    620
12 hours ago, Qwerry said:

Haruma injured Kise. And now them both thinking about intai. 

You can't blame Harumafuji for that. And did i miss something? Since when is Kisenosato thinking about intai?

autotroph    18
22 minutes ago, Benihana said:

You can't blame Harumafuji for that. And did i miss something? Since when is Kisenosato thinking about intai?

Since he acquired a devastating injury against Harumafuji while on the road to his first yusho.

It's been "healing naturally" ever since.

dada78641    342
23 minutes ago, autotroph said:

Since he acquired a devastating injury against Harumafuji while on the road to his first yusho.

It's been "healing naturally" ever since.

Second yuushou, though...

Bumpkin    351
45 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Kisenosato isn't talking about intai. (As far as I know). But, the handwriting is on the wall. His career is in serious jeopardy. That should be painfully obvious.

Tiger Tanaka    97

I noticed Mitakeumi has been wearing a mouthguard the last two days, most prominently during day 9 coverage. Anyone know what happened? Just a busted mouth from previous basho? Been traveling past couple days so I haven't been able to see much extended coverage or read up on further results.

With Kise, I wonder if it's not so much the injury any longer, but the lack of strength due to inability to train during the recovery time. Without proper training, it looks like Kise has lost some weight and it could potentially be muscle weight that he has not been able to build and sustain. The best path might be to go kyujo in January and take the next 3-4 months to dedicate to strength and conditioning training. 

robnplunder    185

Osuunarashi's elbow elbow strike to Tsurugisho - is that legal?   I have not seen it before and O got the win.  Tsurgisho was down for a long time.  If rikishi start throwing elbows to the head/jaw, we will see more knock outs.  

Flyric    40
1 hour ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

I noticed Mitakeumi has been wearing a mouthguard the last two days, most prominently during day 9 coverage. Anyone know what happened? Just a busted mouth from previous basho? Been traveling past couple days so I haven't been able to see much extended coverage or read up on further results.

I would hope they all wear mouth guards, since they're essentially headbutting each other every match. I know I've seen at least one other rikishi wearing one a few bashos ago.

robnplunder    185
1 hour ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

I noticed Mitakeumi has been wearing a mouthguard the last two days, most prominently during day 9 coverage. Anyone know what happened? Just a busted mouth from previous basho?

I believe he was hit in the mouth a few bouts ago. 

sekitori    244
1 hour ago, Flyric said:

I would hope they all wear mouth guards, since they're essentially headbutting each other every match. I know I've seen at least one other rikishi wearing one a few bashos ago.

Mouth guards can be quite protective in contact sports. As an ex-dentist, I made quite a few of them and I'm sure they saved many teeth from injury. But constantly banging heads together requires far more protection--helmets. And even they may not be enough to avoid severe head trauma. I wonder that after many years of constant head to head contact, how many rikishis end up with degenerative brain disorders such as CTE which is almost epidemic in retired American football players--especially those in the NFL. The situation could be even worse in sumo where no head protection is worn. Of course, no one ever mentions that possibility (or probability). 

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 1

rhyen    953

OMG, Takakeisho’s lip are so swollen after that Shohozan match that he can give Yoshikaze’s a run for his money. 

Stein    30
16 hours ago, kumoryu said:

He was maegashira one tournament ago, and won a kinboshi and a return to sanyaku...he probably will try to do the same in january...tough guy the giku

John Gunning    2,400
2 hours ago, sekitori said:

Of course, no one ever mentions that possibility (or probability). 

No one? I've raised the topic countless times over the past three or four years on NHK and it was even in my most recent column for Japan Times

Kintamayama    22,372
1 hour ago, Jyuunomori said:

And this sport, the whole situation, and the current climate is just a gift that keeps on giving. Let's embrace this basho, and all that it will bring.

Man, I cannot wait for your video today. Oh man, we had Washi Derby, Hokutofuji, Osunaarashi in Juryo and this whole mess at the end. Your video will be greatness.

Without the Oosunaara - bashi..

Katooshu    545
54 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I am sure the die hard Japanese sumo fans are more than happy to see Mongolian yokozunas replaced by Japanese ones.   GOAT or not, I have seen enough of Hakuho myself.   

Anyone care to educate me on the Ossunarashi's elbow hit to Tsurugisho's jaw?   Was that a legal move?   In soccer, the player using an elbow like that would get ejected from the game.

I'd think soccer players would get ejected for a number of sumo moves. That guy on the other team has the ball? Time for a kotenage!

But as mentioned he uses it all the time and already flattened Endo with it. It's basically what he uses for his tachiai and it's contributed to his 'street fighter' reputation.

Btw is that the famous wig guy who is pointing and laughing at Endo (Laughing...)

Edited by Katooshu
  • Haha 1