Asojima

Video Streaming - Kyushu 17

For Kyushu 17, it appears we will have at least 2 basic choices for free online live streaming of the matches. A third relatively new source should be available for free non-sekitori viewing. Finally, one of our old standbys (UBS)is marginally usable.

Sherming 9  provides the live NHK G video and audio coverage of the makuuchi division and, usually, the last half of the juryo division. It also provides an online chat service which is used by several of our forum members. Coverage normally starts at about 3:10PM JST.  Some users have problems getting smooth coverage on Sherming.  It may be due to broadband limits on their IPS/internet source. Sherming recently upgraded its software.  If a problem is encountered here, the old version of the software can be activated by adding "/old" to the end of the URL link. For early Day 1, Sherming 9 is temporarily off line.

qq-live or qq-sumo is a Chinese site which broadcasts the NHK G video and audio of at least the makuuchi division, but its coverage is unpredictable.  Its coverage may start anytime from 1:30 PM JST to 3:30PM and include additional makushita and juryo matches. Things get a little flaky here, but it can be a good alternative to the Sherming site.

Sports Navi should also be available via a proxy site for the lower rank matches.  This link provides details on getting access to Sports Navi

UBS Stream is a free Mongolian service which provides NHK video of the makuuchi division with Mongolian audio commentary.  It normally starts at about 4:10PM JST.  The video resolution is lower than on Sherming and qq, and it has some minor freeze problems. For me, UBS Stream is not working on Firefox, but Chrome is usable.

The Sherming site normally runs with a 3 minute delay.   qq can be real time or with several minutes delay.  The NSK site posts the match results within seconds of the match completion.  This can be a spoiler for the stream viewing.  The streams will occasionally build up a delay within your browser.  If a delay build up is noticed, it can usually be eliminated by doing a restart on the link.

If there is a major news or political event occurring in Japan, the NHK sumo coverage may get preempted on the Sherming site.  If this happens, the normal NHK sumo coverage usually will still appear on the qq and UBS sites.  They are your backup.

The streams may become choppy or pixelated.  Changing your browser or viewing mode may help.  Smoother viewing is usually found in full screen mode, and most of us find that Chrome will sometimes provide a cleaner stream.

Some enterprising individuals have found ways to provide live sumo streaming via UTube.  In the past, when these sites have been mentioned  publicly on the forum, they have tended to disappear.  The copyright police are active.  If one becomes known, it is best to exchange information about it via private PMs.

The General Info topic should be used to communicate new developments in the streaming world.  Use this basho-specific topic to convey infomation regarding the coverage availability for this basho.

Edited by Asojima
  • Thanks 3

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I've come here to offer an option to watch the Kyushu Basho live (at least the Makuuchi fights) on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv27fK5XYOzAjJl2RSTO6ww?view_as=subscriber

As you can see I already did a test run on the final day of Aki Basho, you can check out the quality, I expect to have something similar for the new tournament as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

Day 1 - qq is live in mid-Juryo at 02:50 JST. Sherming9 is still off-line with its video, but the chat is available.
Day 1 Update.  qq-live and UBS Stream functioned normally.  Sherming9 was offline for Day 1, but it appears to have been repaired.  It should return for Day 2. The Mbovo site has very good video quality.  It is running with a several minute delay.

Edited by Asojima

2 hours ago, mbovo said:

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum. I've come here to offer an option to watch the Kyushu Basho live (at least the Makuuchi fights) on my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv27fK5XYOzAjJl2RSTO6ww?view_as=subscriber

As you can see I already did a test run on the final day of Aki Basho, you can check out the quality, I expect to have something similar for the new tournament as well.

This stream is better than sherming, qq and miselet combined.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Day 2 - qq is live in mid-makushita at 2:20PM JST.
-            Sherming9 active in mid-juryo at 3:10 JST.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

His stream was great last night. Much better quality than the other options.

On 11/11/2017 at 21:30, mbovo said:

I've been watching on your stream and I've been very happy with the quality. The only thing I might suggest is that you not leave the full stream archives up too long. In the past, someone (the NSK, some other stakeholder, who knows?) has been fairly aggressive in getting videos captures from sumo broadcasts taken down, and we wouldn't want you to collect a bunch of copyright violation strikes. They seem to tolerate @Kintamayama's daily digests, perhaps because they're just excerpts without a lot of commentary, but they're unpredictable otherwise.

Day 3 - qq active by 2:50 JST in Juryo.

Edited by Asojima

1 hour ago, Kuroyama said:

They seem to tolerate @Kintamayama's daily digests, perhaps because they're just excerpts without a lot of commentary, but they're unpredictable otherwise.

Hmm.. They tolerate Jason, Miselet and Mensing for quite a while as well. Now, let's hope this hasn't been called to their attention..

On 2017. 11. 12. at 06:30, mbovo said:

I'm already online with Juryo!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 12/11/2017 at 03:30, mbovo said:

at what time do you start streaming?

26 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

at what time do you start streaming?

I'm not making any promises. As I wrote in my original post "at least the Makuuchi fights" but if I wake up earlier I will start with Juryo. Surely not before  that.

Looks like no Juryo coverage today as both channels are showing J League soccer games. :( As far as I can tell, only Makuuchi on Japanese tv tomorrow as well...

Edited by mbovo

23 hours ago, mbovo said:

Looks like no Juryo coverage today as both channels are showing J League soccer games. :( As far as I can tell, only Makuuchi on Japanese tv tomorrow as well...

The schedule of the main channel changed since yesterday. At the moment it looks as though their coverage starts at 3:05pm JST with the second half of Juryo.

16 minutes ago, mbovo said:

The schedule of the main channel changed since yesterday. At the moment it looks as though their coverage starts at 3:05pm JST with the second half of Juryo.

Actually all Juryo matches are covered by NHK G today, the switch from NHK BS to the main NHK G channel happened when the rikishi of today's first Juryo match were introduced.

5 minutes ago, Joaoiyama said:

Starts at 3 pm japan time, right?

It's already started.

6 hours ago, ny32986 said:

I would watch it online on https://fujitv.live/fujitv  I would go to the NHK channel that airs it and see it there. 

Costs money though, no? Let you watch ten minutes for free and ask you to sign up, and then you pay about $30 a month? Right?

21 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Costs money though, no? Let you watch ten minutes for free and ask you to sign up, and then you pay about $30 a month? Right?

I was able to watch a couple days when I created a free account. Then eventually you'll have to pay. They are doing a free thanksgiving giveaway of up to 30 days free 

On 2017. 11. 23. at 06:58, mbovo said:

No Sumo on NHK BS1 today, so Mid-Juryo start at 3:05 JST.

The same today

• Thanks 3