Akinomaki

New recruits for Haru 2018

On 3/11/2018 at 11:53, Naganoyama said:

Takahara 高原 Takahara Kaisei Takadagawa 177cm 100kg 30 - January - 1999 Tokushima

photo.jpg

Takahara 髙原魁成 has no sumo experience. He did basketball in middle school and weightlifting in high school, finishing at that 3rd in the 77kg category in the prefecture interhigh. He saw a deshi PR flyer, which was distributed at his school club by Takadagawa-beya, and got interested in sumo. After graduation last year, he continued training while doing part-time jobs and withing one year increased his weight to 100kg. In early February he contacted the heya and stayed there for 2 weeks, taking part in keiko, and then decided to enter. https://www.47news.jp/localnews/prefectures/tokushima/1957029.html (the full article needs a Japanese proxy)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Takadagawa-beya's Takahara has no prior sumo experience, he was in the basketball club in Aizumihigashi Junior High School and then the weightlifting club in Itano High School. There I believe he finished 3rd in the 77kg class in the prefecture school championships in 2016. While in school he spotted a recruitment flyer for the heya in the clubroom and it stayed in his mind after he graduated last March. While working part-time he continued training and also tried to increase his weight, eventually he contacted the heya in February and was invited to visit. He stayed for two weeks, participating in keiko sessions, and decided to enter ozumo.

He has taken the shikona Ai (藍), meaning indigo, which is a pretty cool shikona derived from the history of his hometown, Aizumi in Tokushima prefecture. Before the Meiji restoration, Tokushima was called Awa Province. There, indigo leaves are dried and fermented using only local plants and traditional methods (sadly, increasingly rare in these days of synthetic dyes) to produce sukumo. The sukumo is then used to make Awa-ai (阿波藍), known for its especially vivid colours. Most sukumo in Japan is produced in Tokushima, and Awa-ai uses only that.

Bah, just too late! (Laughing...)

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Apologies for running behind on this. Things haven't been helped by the fact that this is the first year that there's commentary on the live stream during maezumo, which has made audio rikishi/shikona identification harder than ever... :-S

Anyway, the usual Haru summaries first (last year's numbers):

New recruits by heya:

4 - Sadogatake
3 - Fujishima, Nishiiwa
2 - Hakkaku, Irumagawa, Michinoku, Oitekaze, Shikoroyama, Tagonoura, Takadagawa, Tamanoi, Yamahibiki
1 - Arashio, Asahiyama, Asakayama, Azumazeki, Chiganoura, Dewanoumi, Kasugano, Kise*, Kokonoe, Musashigawa, Naruto, Onoe, Takanohana, Takasago, Tomozuna

* Kise only has sandanme tsukedashi Kizaki(umi).

Sadogatake with the biggest haul again, although not close to last year's 7. And even though the total number of recruits has been reduced significantly from 2017, the number of stables that have managed to recruit somebody isn't down nearly as much, 27 after 30 last year. (And of course the Fujishima trio again includes an uchideshi of ex-Miyabiyama, so that's an additional quasi-heya represented.)

New recruits by age:

middle school grad age (born April 2002 to March 2003) - 25
high school grad age (born April 1999 to March 2000) - 11
collegiate grad age (born April 1995 to March 1996) - 3

Numbers down across the board. In addition, four recruits whose ages don't fit the usual graduation structure:

- 1 that is one year older than middle school (Michinoku's Arakawa, having quit high school)
- 1 that is two years older than middle school = one year younger than high school (Nishiiwa's Nakatani, actually born just two days after the usual high school cutoff for this class - is it possible to enter elementary school a year early in Japan?)
- 2 that are one year older than high school (Takadagawa's Takahara after working for a bit after graduation, and Tomozuna's Toya)

Days 2 and 3 coverage in a bit, Day 4 will have to wait until I can post it together with Day 5 tomorrow (and hopefully verify a few more questionables).

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13.3.2018 at 17:55, Yubinhaad said:

[Takahara] has taken the shikona Ai (藍), meaning indigo, which is a pretty cool shikona derived from the history of his hometown, Aizumi in Tokushima prefecture. Before the Meiji restoration, Tokushima was called Awa Province. There, indigo leaves are dried and fermented using only local plants and traditional methods (sadly, increasingly rare in these days of synthetic dyes) to produce sukumo. The sukumo is then used to make Awa-ai (阿波藍), known for its especially vivid colours. Most sukumo in Japan is produced in Tokushima, and Awa-ai uses only that.

Many thanks for that shikona news, which stopped me from committing a major bit of misidentification. I thought I heard "Kai" and assigned that slot in the torikumi to the Asakayama-beya recruit... (Injonokuchi...)

Edited by Asashosakari

The rikishi data summary grouped by appearance. In addition to the 42 maezumo newcomers there are two returning rikishi, allowing for a neat split into four groups of 11.

Maezumo Haru 2018, Group A (even-numbered days)
Rank Name Heya Born Height Weight Shikona Shi-k Info
East side
Mz1 Tamanoryu Kataonami 1999     (returnee)    
Mz3 Kamitani Genki Michinoku 2002 183 cm 121 kg     1, 2, 3, 4
Mz6 Arakawa Shogo Michinoku 2001 180 cm 100 kg     1, 2
Mz9 Nagaya Kodai Shikoroyama 2002 181 cm 135 kg Ōnagaya 大永谷 1
Mz11 Tanaka Akito Shikoroyama 2002 165 cm 68 kg      
Mz16 Kawamoto Hayate Kasugano 1995 180 cm 127 kg     1, 2
Mz17 Nakatani Akira Nishiiwa 2000 179 cm 121 kg Wakanakatani 若中谷 1
Mz18 Matsunaga Kizuku Nishiiwa 2002 174 cm 119 kg Wakamatsunaga 若松永 1
Mz19 Fujioka Koji Nishiiwa 2002 166 cm 112 kg Wakafujioka 若藤岡 1
Mz40 Takahara Kaisei Takadagawa 1999 177 cm 100 kg Ai 1, 2
Mz41 Ikeda Junya Takadagawa 2002 175 cm 121 kg Matsugashima 松ヶ島 1
West side
Mz2 Goketsuyama Shibatayama 2000     (returnee)    
Mz7 Matsuoka Yuki Oitekaze 1999 171 cm 116 kg Daishōsei 大翔成 1
Mz8 Ishioka Rei Oitekaze 2002 173 cm 111 kg Daiyūshō 大雄翔 1
Mz10 Soma Kento Fujishima 2003 183 cm 130 kg     1
Mz13 Morita Ryuji Fujishima 2002 174 cm 113 kg      
Mz14 Ueta Yuya Fujishima 1999 167 cm 101 kg     1, 2
Mz26 Tanji Taiga Arashio 2003 183 cm 69 kg     1
Mz37 Kizuka Aianryuji Chiganoura 2002 167 cm 79 kg Takanoryū 隆ノ竜  
Mz38 Fukazawa Hayato Yamahibiki 1999 181 cm 156 kg     1
Mz39 Kamada Takumi Yamahibiki 2002 186 cm 169 kg     1, 2
Mz42 Hatakeyama Shigeji Onoe 2003 172 cm 98 kg     1

Maezumo Haru 2018, Group B (odd-numbered days)
East side
Mz4 Aketa Shunsuke Irumagawa 2000 176 cm 124 kg     1, 2
Mz5 Mimori Daisuke Irumagawa 2000 173 cm 107 kg     1
Mz20 Kawami Masaki Kokonoe 2000 172 cm 108 kg     1
Mz21 Ito Hikari Sadogatake 2002 174 cm 108 kg Kotoito 琴伊藤 1
Mz22 Kume Kiyoshi Sadogatake 2003 182 cm 134 kg Kotokume 琴粂 1, 2
Mz23 Maeda Mizuki Sadogatake 2002 167 cm 104 kg Kotomaeda 琴前田 1
Mz24 Sumida Haruki Sadogatake 2002 181 cm 111 kg Kotosumida 琴隅田 1
Mz30 Yoshizaki Koki Tagonoura 2002 174 cm 124 kg Shishimaru 獅子丸  
Mz31 Honda Rikiya Tagonoura 2002 184 cm 166 kg Kojikara 小力 1
Mz35 Iwamori Ryo Hakkaku 1999 190 cm 190 kg     1, 2, 3
Mz36 Sasaki Tsukasa Hakkaku 1999 187 cm 125 kg     1
West side
Mz12 Toya Shunsuke Tomozuna 1998 179 cm 78 kg      
Mz15 Tabara Yuta Musashigawa 2002 175 cm 129 kg     1
Mz25 Terasawa Itsuki Takasago 1995 182 cm 126 kg     1, 2
Mz27 Hironaka Ryu Asahiyama 1999 167 cm 68 kg      
Mz28 Harada Junpei Dewanoumi 2003 170 cm 88 kg Ogitora 小城虎  
Mz29 Kojima Hiromasa Asakayama 2002 180 cm 125 kg     1
Mz32 Anzai Yusuke Naruto 2002 176 cm 114 kg     1
Mz33 Iguchi Takahiro Tamanoi 2002 174 cm 110 kg      
Mz34 Iwamoto Maito Tamanoi 2002 180 cm 97 kg     1, 2, 3
Mz43 Hara Hiroki Takanohana 1999 172 cm 113 kg      
Mz44 Banba So Azumazeki 1999 181 cm 84 kg     1, 2, 3, 4

And for completeness the sandanme tsukedashi entrant:

SdTd Kizaki Shinnosuke Kise 1995 174 cm 146 kg Kizakiumi

木崎海

1, 2, 3, 4

He's from Nihon University.

I'll discuss the various pieces of incomplete/wrong? information in the Day 2 and Day 3 posts.

Edit: All shikona have been confirmed and updated.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 3

Day 2 / Group A

All 22 in this group were present for the first round, including the two returnees Tamanoryu (Kataonami-beya) and Goketsuyama (Shibatayama-beya), both still quite young themselves and last seen on the dohyo back in September.

No video from One And Only for this day, as far as I can tell, so it's Abema coverage only (whose video quality is rather iffy this time, as they were insisting on moving the camera...the bitrate's not high enough for that much movement):

Results:

Mz1   Tamanoryu (1-0)         Mz2   Goketsuyama (0-1)
Mz3   Kamitani (0-1)          Mz7   Daishosei (1-0)
Mz6   Arakawa (0-1)           Mz8   Daiyusho (1-0)
Mz9   Onagaya (0-1)           Mz10  Soma (1-0)
Mz11  Tanaka (0-1)            Mz13  Morita (1-0)
Mz16  Kawamoto (1-0)          Mz14  Ueta (0-1)
Mz17  Wakanakatani (1-0)      Mz26  Tanji (0-1)
Mz18  Wakamatsunaga (1-0)     Mz37  Takanoryu (0-1)
Mz19  Wakafujioka (0-1)       Mz38  Fukazawa (1-0)
Mz40  Ai (0-1)                Mz39  Kamada (1-0)
Mz41  Matsugashima (0-1)      Mz42  Hatakeyama (1-0)

As always, the winners in red. Arguably the best sumo of the day right in the first bout between the two non-rookies (that's actually quite rare), but the fourth wasn't too shabby either. Also, zero trouble for collegiate Kawamoto of Takushoku University in his match.

Standings:

Mz1   Tamanoryu      Kataonami   1-0 E   |   Mz2   Goketsuyama   Shibatayama  0-1 W
Mz7   Daishosei      Oitekaze    1-0 W   |   Mz3   Kamitani      Michinoku    0-1 E
Mz8   Daiyusho       Oitekaze    1-0 W   |   Mz6   Arakawa       Michinoku    0-1 E
Mz10  Soma           Fujishima   1-0 W   |   Mz9   Onagaya       Shikoroyama  0-1 E
Mz13  Morita         Fujishima   1-0 W   |   Mz11  Tanaka        Shikoroyama  0-1 E
Mz16  Kawamoto       Kasugano    1-0 E   |   Mz14  Ueta          Fujishima    0-1 W
Mz17  Wakanakatani   Nishiiwa    1-0 E   |   Mz19  Wakafujioka   Nishiiwa     0-1 E
Mz18  Wakamatsunaga  Nishiiwa    1-0 E   |   Mz26  Tanji         Arashio      0-1 W
Mz38  Fukazawa       Yamahibiki  1-0 W   |   Mz37  Takanoryu     Chiganoura   0-1 W
Mz39  Kamada         Yamahibiki  1-0 W   |   Mz40  Ai            Takadagawa   0-1 E
Mz42  Hatakeyama     Onoe        1-0 W   |   Mz41  Matsugashima  Takadagawa   0-1 E

Normally I only include the E/W designations for my own use but not in the tables I post here, but as they help with following the match-making by the wakaimonogashira who are in charge of maezumo, perhaps they're of general interest in this bigger session. Only 4 winners on the East side, 7 on the West, so there will have to be some rikishi shuffling for round 2.

(Note: Onagaya's shikona was called out as "Dainagaya" on Days 2 and 4.)

Obsolete shikona notes:

Daishosei? = Matsuoka (Oitekaze) - I'm going along with

Yubinhaad's guess here, because I really don't have much of an idea from listening to it.

Dai------?? = Ishioka (Oitekaze) - And this one shows just how little idea I have about the two Oitekaze guys...

Dainagaya? = Nagaya (Shikoroyama) - not fully sure I've heard it correctly, but would make sense as a simple shikona expansion due to the presence of the other Nagaya in the heya.

Soma? (Fujishima) - it didn't really sound like Soma to me, hence the question mark despite it being his given name. Actually, rather than Sōma it kind of sounded like So-uma (separate vowels, not long o) from both the yobidashi and the gyoji...is it possible the Kyokai has romanized it wrong?

Wakanakatani/Wakamatsunaga/Wakafujioka (Nishiiwa) = seems a pretty straight-forward Waka + given name, them being in ex-Wakanosato's stable

Taka------? = Kizuka (Chiganoura) - I'm not even sure I've identified the correct rikishi here, but Kizuka seemed to be the only one with the right body type. Even the "Taka" part is a wild guess, just based on it being Chiganoura-beya.

Ai = Takahara (Takadagawa) - this one was reported above.

Surugashima? = Ikeda (Takadagawa) - not 100% sure about my hearing on this one, but seems fitting for a rikishi from Shizuoka.

As always in March, any help is especially appreciated.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With 11 winners and 11 losers in Group A. For the 2nd round, will the 10 winners be matched up, the 10 losers matched up and a bout with a winner vs a loser?

Day 3 / Group B

This section had two absences, so only 20 rikishi / 10 bouts for now.

Results:

Mz4   Aketa (1-0)             Mz12  Toya (0-1)
Mz5   Mimori (1-0)            Mz20  Kawami (0-1)
Mz21  Kotoito (1-0)           Mz15  Tabara (0-1)
Mz22  Kotokume (0-1)          Mz25  Terasawa (1-0)
Mz23  Kotomaeda (1-0)         Mz27  Hironaka (0-1)
Mz24  Kotosumida (1-0)        Mz28  Ogitora (0-1)
Mz30  Shishimaru (0-1)        Mz32  Anzai (1-0)
Mz31  Kojikara (1-0)          Mz34  Iwamoto (0-1)
Mz35  Iwamori (1-0)           Mz43  Hara (0-1)
Mz36  Sasaki (0-1)            Mz44  Banba (1-0)

Some feisty action by the other collegiate debutant, Toyo University's Terasawa, and his young opponent in bout four. Classic isamiashi in the last bout, called here even with the reduced allotment of just two shimpan.

190 cm / 190 kg Iwamori looks green as can be (as expected), but it's good to see he's at least not the next Yata. (Although I'm still not sure he'll last too much longer.)

Standings:

Mz4   Aketa         Irumagawa   1-0 E   |   Mz12  Toya         Tomozuna     0-1 W
Mz5   Mimori        Irumagawa   1-0 E   |   Mz15  Tabara       Musashigawa  0-1 W
Mz21  Kotoito       Sadogatake  1-0 E   |   Mz20  Kawami       Kokonoe      0-1 E
Mz23  Kotomaeda     Sadogatake  1-0 E   |   Mz22  Kotokume     Sadogatake   0-1 E
Mz24  Kotosumida    Sadogatake  1-0 E   |   Mz27  Hironaka     Asahiyama    0-1 W
Mz25  Terasawa      Takasago    1-0 W   |   Mz28  Ogitora      Dewanoumi    0-1 W
Mz31  Kojikara      Tagonoura   1-0 E   |   Mz29  Kojima       Asakayama    0-0-1 W
Mz32  Anzai         Naruto      1-0 W   |   Mz30  Shishimaru   Tagonoura    0-1 E
Mz35  Iwamori       Hakkaku     1-0 E   |   Mz33  Iguchi       Tamanoi      0-0-1 W
Mz44  Banba         Azumazeki   1-0 W   |   Mz34  Iwamoto      Tamanoi      0-1 W
                                            Mz36  Sasaki       Hakkaku      0-1 E
                                            Mz43  Hara         Takanohana   0-1 W

Obsolete shikona notes:

Kawami(?) - pretty sure the identification itself is correct, but as can be seen from the torikumi he was strangely fighting out of position (before Tabara rather than after). I've made the assumption that he's actually part of the East side group, and that both of the day's absent rikishi were meant to be on the West, necessitating one switch to even up the numbers. The match order is still a bit weird even with that, but it makes more sense than an outright error.

Koto-surname x4 - standard initial Sadogatake-beya naming scheme, so nothing to see here.

Ogitora? = Harada (Dewanoumi) - not 100% sure it's the right guy, but the only alternative ID would be Kojima whose height / weight wouldn't seem to match as well as Harada's. If I heard the "Ogi" part correctly, then that fits in with Dewanoumi-beya anyway (via shisho ex-Oginohana).

Shijimaru?? / ------kawa?? = Yoshizaki / Honda (Tagonoura) - Tagonoura-beya always comes up with (often unusual) shikona right from the start, and I'm completely at sea with these two.

The plea for help goes here as well, naturally.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Surugashima? = Ikeda (Takadagawa) - not 100% sure about my hearing on this one, but seems fitting for a rikishi from Shizuoka.

The heya gives Ikeda's shikona as Matsugashima (松ヶ島). Still sounds like a shusshin-derived shikona; Akinomaki mentioned he was originally from Shimane, maybe it's some sort of portmanteau of Matsue (the capital) and Shimane.

Dainagaya? = Nagaya (Shikoroyama) - not fully sure I've heard it correctly, but would make sense as a simple shikona expansion due to the presence of the other Nagaya in the heya.

That's what I heard too, and moto-Gagyusan helpfully posted it as 大永谷, so that should be it.

Dai------?? = Ishioka (Oitekaze) - And this one shows just how little idea I have about the two Oitekaze guys...

Sounds like Daiyusho, and I've seen 大雄翔 given online as the kanji. Subject to correction though. Anyway it sounds like a rare departure from the heya's usual Daisho- practice. (And has there ever been a yusho winner with some form of yusho in his shikona?)

Shijimaru?? / ------kawa?? = Yoshizaki / Honda (Tagonoura) - Tagonoura-beya always comes up with (often unusual) shikona right from the start, and I'm completely at sea with these two.

For Yoshizaki, how about Shishimaru, 獅子丸?

And for Honda, I've just now read that he is Kochikara (小力).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Sounds like Daiyusho, and I've seen 大雄翔 given online as the kanji. Subject to correction though. Anyway it sounds like a rare departure from the heya's usual Daisho- practice. (And has there ever been a yusho winner with some form of yusho in his shikona?)

Becoming more common nowadays, though maybe not at maezumo level.  Five or six in the heya already, depending on how you count.

11 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

The heya gives Ikeda's shikona as Matsugashima (松ヶ島). Still sounds like a shusshin-derived shikona; Akinomaki mentioned he was originally from Shimane, maybe it's some sort of portmanteau of Matsue (the capital) and Shimane.

Yup, I misheard that badly, on the Day 4 recording it's clearly Matsugashima.

Another one where Day 4 was much easier to hear. Both kanji and romaji are now confirmed anyway, as he was in the shusse today.

For Yoshizaki, how about Shishimaru, 獅子丸?

And for Honda, I've just now read that he is Kochikara (小力).

I'll go with Shishimaru for now, thanks. The kanji for Honda are correct, but the reading has turned out to be Kojikara per the Kyokai.

In addition, it was also clearly "Soma" on Day 4, so I've removed the question mark there...maybe they just bungled the pronunciation a bit on Day 2, I dunno.

I've also changed the Chiganoura kid to Takanoryu? as a better guess based on the Day 4 audio. By the way, anyone know about his background? Aianryuji is a rather unusual first name, after all, especially as (unlike Corvin Ryuga) everything is written in kana, even the Ryuji part.

• Like 1

On 15.3.2018 at 03:09, Bumpkin said:

With 11 winners and 11 losers in Group A. For the 2nd round, will the 10 winners be matched up, the 10 losers matched up and a bout with a winner vs a loser?

That would have been the usual solution, but Wakamatsunaga turned out to be absent among the 1-winners, so the schedule ended up differently.

Day 4 / Group A

Results:

Mz1   Tamanoryu (1-1)         Mz7   Daishosei (2-0)
Mz10  Soma (2-0)              Mz8   Daiyusho (1-1)
Mz13  Morita (1-1)            Mz38  Fukazawa (2-0)
Mz16  Kawamoto (2-0)          Mz39  Kamada (1-1)
Mz17  Wakanakatani (2-0)      Mz42  Hatakeyama (1-1)
Mz3   Kamitani (1-1)          Mz2   Goketsuyama (0-2)
Mz6   Arakawa (0-2)           Mz14  Ueta (1-1)
Mz9   Onagaya (0-2)           Mz26  Tanji (1-1)
Mz11  Tanaka (0-2)            Mz37  Takanoryu (1-1)
Mz19  Wakafujioka (0-2)       Mz40  Ai (1-1)
Mz1   Tamanoryu (2-1)         Mz41  Matsugashima (0-2)

Mz13  Morita (1-2)            Mz8   Daiyusho (2-1)
Mz42  Hatakeyama (1-2)        Mz39  Kamada (2-1)

As usual, everybody from the leading group who lost his bout received a second opportunity to still qualify today, with Tamanoryu getting his shot as fill-in opponent for the last of the 21 active rikishi, and the other four paired up.

If you're keeping track, in order to balance out the sides they moved Soma and Morita (both Fujishima) West->East among the 1-win guys, and Ai and Matsugashima (both Takadagawa) East->West among the winless ones. It's typical that they try to move same-stable rikishi as a block in those situations, presumably to avoid scheduling them against each other by mistake if one moves sides and the other one stays. (Although in this case the third Fujishima rikishi Ueta did stay on the West side, but not being part of the 1-0 group there was no chance that he might end up matched against Soma or Morita.)

Strong sumo by Daishosei to grab the very first qualification spot. The subsequent bout between Soma and Daiyusho was a good one, and Kawamoto-Kamada was also remarkably competitive given the 7-year age difference. Perhaps not a great surprise after those matches that Daiyusho and Kamada were the ones to take advantage of the extra opportunity later on. Dainagaya-Tanji and Tanaka-Takanoryu were also fun tussles...nice to see that so many bouts on this day were rather evenly matched. And last not least - that false finish to Wakafujioka-Ai. (Laughing...)

Standings:

2-win target achieved:
#01  Mz7   Daishosei      Oitekaze    2-0
#03  Mz10  Soma           Fujishima   2-0
#05  Mz38  Fukazawa       Yamahibiki  2-0
#07  Mz16  Kawamoto       Kasugano    2-0
#09  Mz17  Wakanakatani   Nishiiwa    2-0
#11  Mz1   Tamanoryu      Kataonami   2-1
#13  Mz8   Daiyusho       Oitekaze    2-1
#15  Mz39  Kamada         Yamahibiki  2-1

Still active:
     Mz3   Kamitani       Michinoku   1-1 E   |   Mz2   Goketsuyama   Shibatayama  0-2 W
     Mz13  Morita         Fujishima   1-2 W   |   Mz6   Arakawa       Michinoku    0-2 E
     Mz14  Ueta           Fujishima   1-1 W   |   Mz9   Onagaya       Shikoroyama  0-2 E
     Mz18  Wakamatsunaga  Nishiiwa    1-0-1 E |   Mz11  Tanaka        Shikoroyama  0-2 E
     Mz26  Tanji          Arashio     1-1 W   |   Mz19  Wakafujioka   Nishiiwa     0-2 E
     Mz37  Takanoryu      Chiganoura  1-1 W   |   Mz41  Matsugashima  Takadagawa   0-2 E
     Mz40  Ai             Takadagawa  1-1 E
     Mz42  Hatakeyama     Onoe        1-2 W

(Note: Onagaya's shikona was called out as "Dainagaya" on Days 2 and 4.)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 5 / Group B

Previously absent Kojima and Iguchi were in competition today, so the torikumi featured all 22 rikishi this time.

Results:

Mz21  Kotoito (1-1)           Mz4   Aketa (2-0)
Mz23  Kotomaeda (1-1)         Mz5   Mimori (2-0)
Mz24  Kotosumida (1-1)        Mz25  Terasawa (2-0)
Mz31  Kojikara (1-1)          Mz32  Anzai (2-0)
Mz35  Iwamori (1-1)           Mz44  Banba (2-0)
Mz12  Toya (0-2)              Mz20  Kawami (1-1)
Mz15  Tabara (1-1)            Mz28  Ogitora (0-2)
Mz27  Hironaka (0-2)          Mz29  Kojima (1-0-1)
Mz22  Kotokume (1-1)          Mz33  Iguchi (0-1-1)
Mz30  Shishimaru (0-2)        Mz34  Iwamoto (1-1)
Mz36  Sasaki (0-2)            Mz43  Hara (1-1)

Mz21  Kotoito (1-2)           Mz31  Kojikara (2-1)
Mz23  Kotomaeda (2-1)         Mz35  Iwamori (1-2)
Mz24  Kotosumida (1-2)        Mz20  Kawami (2-1)

Winner: Bandai! Err, Anzai!

Clean sweep for the West side in the 5 qualification matches, and all pretty one-sided, arguably even skinny Banba's victory over big kid Iwamori who was on the back foot all the way through. The 0-winner bouts also weren't that much to write home about, with the book-ending matches Toya-Kawami and Sasaki-Hara probably the picks of the bunch. All in all, not anywhere near the festival of (mae)sumo that Day 4 was.

In this section they needed a rikishi to fill out the additional block rather than the initial set of matches, so Kawami (the first winner of the day among the 0-1 crowd) got the bonus call and duly proceeded to qualify himself. Probably the best match of the day, as well.

Meanwhile, I'm now thoroughly confused about who's supposed to be on which side. Kojima and Iguchi both joined on the West side as expected, but Kawami was also fighting from the West once more - while it's possible that he got moved again, that doesn't make much sense as there were too many West rikishi today as it was. My new favourite for who got moved on Day 3 is now Hironaka, who was West there and East today (and, like Kawami two days ago, strangely fought earlier than he should have).

(Alternative idea: As there were two absences right at the start, they decided to make Kawami a "full-time" member of the West side, not just a one-day shift...)

Standings:

2-win target achieved:
#02  Mz4   Aketa       Irumagawa    2-0
#04  Mz5   Mimori      Irumagawa    2-0
#06  Mz25  Terasawa    Takasago     2-0
#08  Mz32  Anzai       Naruto       2-0
#10  Mz44  Banba       Azumazeki    2-0
#12  Mz31  Kojikara    Tagonoura    2-1
#14  Mz23  Kotomaeda   Sadogatake   2-1
#16  Mz20  Kawami      Kokonoe      2-1

Still active:
     Mz15  Tabara      Musashigawa  1-1 W   |   Mz12  Toya           Tomozuna     0-2 W
     Mz21  Kotoito     Sadogatake   1-2 E   |   Mz27  Hironaka       Asahiyama    0-2 W
     Mz22  Kotokume    Sadogatake   1-1 E   |   Mz28  Ogitora        Dewanoumi    0-2 W
     Mz24  Kotosumida  Sadogatake   1-2 E   |   Mz30  Shishimaru     Tagonoura    0-2 E
     Mz29  Kojima      Asakayama    1-0-1 W |   Mz33  Iguchi         Tamanoi      0-1-1 W
     Mz34  Iwamoto     Tamanoi      1-1 W   |   Mz36  Sasaki         Hakkaku      0-2 E
     Mz35  Iwamori     Hakkaku      1-2 E
     Mz43  Hara        Takanohana   1-1 W

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ichiban-shusse presentation of the first 16 qualifiers - or rather 14, as returning Tamanoryu was of course not eligible to appear, and Daiyusho was absent for some reason. (He might still show up on Day 9 or 12 instead.)

Confirmed shikona in kanji have been put into the summary tables above.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/2/2018 at 18:42, Akinomaki said:

Takumi Kamada 鎌田航海 (15, 185cm, 169kg) from Okayama.

Kamata's coach at the Okayama sumo club and the coach from the oyakata's hometown Ehime are friends. He won the pref. tournament and was several times at the national championships. "I thought I'll get strong quicker, the sooner I start, and decided" - he has started the life of a pro at the heya on Feb. 12th, and now in Osaka started with genuine training: "It was amazing!  Different quality and quantity. The muscular pain is immense."

On 3/11/2018 at 11:53, Naganoyama said:

Kamada 鎌田 Kamada Takumi Yamahibiki 186 169 21 - June - 2002 Okayama

An article which is behind the paywall: from the title: Aiming for sekitori and at first "sandanme within a year" http://www.sanyonews.jp/article/683479

After his first maezumo bout, Kamada attended the graduation ceremony at his school

10c17c0dcb3b9a5b38edc0993f434472.jpg

Day 6 / Group A

Kamitani (Michinoku-beya) was absent among the 1-win rikishi today, while Wakamatsunaga (Nishiiwa-beya) rejoined after sitting out Day 4.

Results:

Mz26  Tanji (1-2)             Mz13  Morita (2-2)
Mz18  Wakamatsunaga (1-1-1)   Mz14  Ueta (2-1)
Mz40  Ai (2-1)                Mz37  Takanoryu (1-2)
Mz6   Arakawa (0-3)           Mz2   Goketsuyama (1-2)
Mz19  Wakafujioka (0-3)       Mz9   Onagaya (1-2)
Mz41  Matsugashima (1-2)      Mz11  Tanaka (0-3)
Mz26  Tanji (1-3)             Mz42  Hatakeyama (2-2)

And just like that, it's apparently Onagaya now rather than Dainagaya... In other shikona amusement, the Abema commentator actually tried to refer to the rikishi by name before the last bout (rather than by generic higashi-gata rikishi etc. stuff), but evidently they don't have any information beyond what they hear from the gyoji and yobidashi either...while he managed to get Hatakeyama right, the other one sounded more like Kanryu or something, not Tanji. In any case, speaking of Tanji - two losses for him today as he got to fill out the 13-rikishi torikumi, but you can't fault his enthuasiasm. (His lack of both weight and technique, on the other hand...)

On another note: Abema sure has a lot of people walking right in front of their cameras this basho, in all divisions. Maybe it's something specific to the layout of (what's for now still called) Edion Arena, I dunno.

My favourite bout of the day was undoubtedly Ai versus Takanoryu - just good old-fashioned back and forth lower division sumo. No "second round" today and tomorrow, but Days 8/9 should feature that again as they finish things up. (Incidentally, I posted nonsense on the presentation video yesterday - of course all remaining deshi will be presented on Day 9 only, there aren't enough left to drag maezumo out beyond that and to a Day 12 presentation.)

Standings:

2-win target achieved:
#01  Mz7   Daishosei      Oitekaze     2-0
#03  Mz10  Soma           Fujishima    2-0
#05  Mz38  Fukazawa       Yamahibiki   2-0
#07  Mz16  Kawamoto       Kasugano     2-0
#09  Mz17  Wakanakatani   Nishiiwa     2-0
#11  Mz1   Tamanoryu      Kataonami    2-1
#13  Mz8   Daiyusho       Oitekaze     2-1
#15  Mz39  Kamada         Yamahibiki   2-1
---
#17  Mz13  Morita         Fujishima    2-2
#19  Mz14  Ueta           Fujishima    2-1
#21  Mz40  Ai             Takadagawa   2-1
#23  Mz42  Hatakeyama     Onoe         2-2

Still active:
Mz2   Goketsuyama    Shibatayama  1-2 W   |   Mz6   Arakawa        Michinoku    0-3 E
Mz3   Kamitani       Michinoku    1-1-1 E |   Mz11  Tanaka         Shikoroyama  0-3 E
Mz9   Onagaya        Shikoroyama  1-2 E   |   Mz19  Wakafujioka    Nishiiwa     0-3 E
Mz18  Wakamatsunaga  Nishiiwa     1-1-1 E
Mz26  Tanji          Arashio      1-3 W
Mz37  Takanoryu      Chiganoura   1-2 W
Mz41  Matsugashima   Takadagawa   1-2 E

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I expect to see two new gyoji in the Natsu basho maezumo sessions, these two youngsters a couple of rows back have appeared on most days of the basho so far, here with gyoji instructor Kimura Motoki nearby to keep an eye on them.

GSqP4bE5_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Day 7 / Group B

Results:

Mz12  Toya (0-3)              Mz27  Hironaka (1-2)
Mz30  Shishimaru (0-3)        Mz28  Ogitora (1-2)
Mz36  Sasaki (1-2)            Mz33  Iguchi (0-2-1)
Mz21  Kotoito (2-2)           Mz15  Tabara (1-2)
Mz22  Kotokume (2-1)          Mz29  Kojima (1-1-1)
Mz24  Kotosumida (2-2)        Mz34  Iwamoto (1-2)
Mz35  Iwamori (2-2)           Mz43  Hara (1-2)

Any kimarite guesses about the first one?

Again not the greatest action from this group, with Kotoito-Tabara and Iwamori-Hara arguably the only competitive matches (although the latter wasn't what I'd call good sumo). Successful day for the remaining Sadogatake trio who all finished things up here. Big rookie Iwamori also managed to qualify, and at least looks good enough that he's not allowing similarly green opponents to use his weight against himself.

Standings:

2-win target achieved:
#02  Mz4   Aketa       Irumagawa    2-0
#04  Mz5   Mimori      Irumagawa    2-0
#06  Mz25  Terasawa    Takasago     2-0
#08  Mz32  Anzai       Naruto       2-0
#10  Mz44  Banba       Azumazeki    2-0
#12  Mz31  Kojikara    Tagonoura    2-1
#14  Mz23  Kotomaeda   Sadogatake   2-1
#16  Mz20  Kawami      Kokonoe      2-1
---
#18  Mz21  Kotoito     Sadogatake   2-2
#20  Mz22  Kotokume    Sadogatake   2-1
#22  Mz24  Kotosumida  Sadogatake   2-2
#24  Mz35  Iwamori     Sadogatake   2-2

Still active:
     Mz15  Tabara      Musashigawa  1-2 W   |   Mz12  Toya         Tomozuna   0-3 W

Mz27  Hironaka    Asahiyama    1-2 W   |   Mz30  Shishimaru   Tagonoura  0-3 E
     Mz28  Ogitora     Dewanoumi    1-2 W   |   Mz33  Iguchi       Tamanoi    0-2-1 W
     Mz29  Kojima      Asakayama    1-1-1 W
     Mz34  Iwamoto     Tamanoi      1-2 W
     Mz36  Sasaki      Hakkaku      1-2 E
     Mz43  Hara        Takanohana   1-2 W

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Any kimarite guesses about the first one?

That was pretty cool. Double leg grab and a sotogake - mitokorozeme for me. But given the positioning and how they ended up, dare I say it even had elements of kakezori?! May have to work that one into the kimarite notes...

Nice to see Sadogatake in the background keeping an eye on his new deshi. I also noticed Naruto there to see Anzai at least once, and I think I saw Tochinoyama there to watch Takanoryu too.

Speaking of Takanoryu, the heya posted some shots earlier to mark his completion of maezumo and give his shikona as 隆の竜. I was kind of hoping it might be 隆の隆...

• Like 2

On 3.3.2018 at 19:51, Akinomaki said:

From Tottori Johoku high to Nichidai, Kizaki was 174cm, 146kg: "It's the path I've chosen, so I just think of doing my best. I want to get stronger and reach juryo in 1, 2 years." "At the pros, big guys are plenty. I want to gain weight and get stronger." His aim is to do quick oshi-sumo like Takekaze. Elder brother Kizaki is in reach of juryo now: "He told me to gambarize - I want to catch up with him quickly." http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20180303/sum18030318310005-n1.html

Now Kizakiumi (right) is 5-0, brother Kizaki 2-3, so they are likely moving towards each other. Both together now aim to become the 20th (pair of) sekitori brothers in history. Waka-Taka were the 10th, the Taka-twins with doubtful future are the 19th pair (or trio) - the first were Shakagatake and Inazuma in 1770.11 and 1774.10 (both with start as ozeki)

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/column/sumo/news/201803180000170.html

201803180000170-nsogp_0.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Day 8 / Group A

Sorry, Abema switched to the dohyo camera rather late here, missing the yobidashi and gyoji call-up of the first pair of rikishi.

Results:

Mz6   Arakawa (0-4)           Mz2   Goketsuyama (2-2)
Mz3   Kamitani (2-1-1)        Mz9   Onagaya (1-3)
Mz18  Wakamatsunaga (2-1-1)   Mz26  Tanji (1-4)
Mz41  Matsugashima (2-2)      Mz37  Takanoryu (1-3)
Mz19  Wakafujioka (1-3)       Mz11  Tanaka (0-4)

Mz26  Tanji (2-4)             Mz9   Onagaya (1-4)
Mz19  Wakafujioka (1-4)       Mz37  Takanoryu (2-3)

With three 0-winners and seven 1-winners remaining they started off the proceedings by mixing one with the other, and returnee Goketsuyama secured the "qualifying" record of 2 wins after all. As expected they did some additional bouts between the 1-win losers of the original batch again, which meant Wakafujioka also getting a lucky extra opportunity (though he wasn't able to use it) - normally the winners of 0-win matches aren't considered for the "bonus round", but they needed a fourth guy to fill in here.

Fun merry-go-round between Wakamatsunaga and Tanji, where Tanji's lack of weight arguably cost him as he had his opponent on the tawara. He proceeded to make "better" use of his lack of size by pulling a big 'ol henka in the second match to collect win #2 in his final opportunity. Not great sumo in this session, unsurprising given who was left at this point, but things did conclude on a high note with the fairly spectacular whateverthatwas victory by Takanoryu. (Although I'm not sure if it was him or Wakafujioka trying to execute a technique there.)

Final standings:

2-win target achieved:
#01  Mz7   Daishosei      Oitekaze     2-0
#03  Mz10  Soma           Fujishima    2-0
#05  Mz38  Fukazawa       Yamahibiki   2-0
#07  Mz16  Kawamoto       Kasugano     2-0
#09  Mz17  Wakanakatani   Nishiiwa     2-0
#11  Mz1   Tamanoryu      Kataonami    2-1
#13  Mz8   Daiyusho       Oitekaze     2-1
#15  Mz39  Kamada         Yamahibiki   2-1
---
#17  Mz13  Morita         Fujishima    2-2
#19  Mz14  Ueta           Fujishima    2-1
#21  Mz40  Ai             Takadagawa   2-1
#23  Mz42  Hatakeyama     Onoe         2-2
#25  Mz2   Goketsuyama    Shibatayama  2-2
#27  Mz3   Kamitani       Michinoku    2-1-1
#29  Mz18  Wakamatsunaga  Nishiiwa     2-1-1
#31  Mz41  Matsugashima   Takadagawa   2-2
#33  Mz26  Tanji          Arashio      2-4
#35  Mz37  Takanoryu      Chiganoura   2-3

Remaining order:
#37  Mz9   Onagaya        Shikoroyama  1-4
#39  Mz19  Wakafujioka    Nishiiwa     1-4
#41  Mz6   Arakawa        Michinoku    0-4
#43  Mz11  Tanaka         Shikoroyama  0-4

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Day 9 / Group B

Results:

Mz15  Tabara (2-2)            Mz12  Toya (0-4)
Mz27  Hironaka (1-3)          Mz29  Kojima (2-1-1)
Mz28  Ogitora (1-3)           Mz34  Iwamoto (2-2)
Mz36  Sasaki (1-3)            Mz43  Hara (2-2)
Mz30  Shishimaru (0-4)        Mz33  Iguchi (1-2-1)

Mz27  Hironaka (2-3)          Mz28  Ogitora (1-4)
Mz36  Sasaki (2-3)            Mz33  Iguchi (1-3-1)

The exact same schedule here as on Day 8 - one mixed match won by the 1-win rikishi, and two extra bouts featuring the three 1-win losers and the 0-win winner; Iguchi also wasn't able to pull off the double shiroboshi. Isamiashi made its second appearance in this maezumo group in bout three, with the shimpan unceremoniously correcting the gyoji again. Neat sotogake in the very next bout, the rest of the matches were very straight-forward.

Final standings:

2-win target achieved:
#02  Mz4   Aketa          Irumagawa    2-0
#04  Mz5   Mimori         Irumagawa    2-0
#06  Mz25  Terasawa       Takasago     2-0
#08  Mz32  Anzai          Naruto       2-0
#10  Mz44  Banba          Azumazeki    2-0
#12  Mz31  Kojikara       Tagonoura    2-1
#14  Mz23  Kotomaeda      Sadogatake   2-1
#16  Mz20  Kawami         Kokonoe      2-1
---
#18  Mz21  Kotoito        Sadogatake   2-2
#20  Mz22  Kotokume       Sadogatake   2-1
#22  Mz24  Kotosumida     Sadogatake   2-2
#24  Mz35  Iwamori        Sadogatake   2-2
#26  Mz15  Tabara         Musashigawa  2-2
#28  Mz29  Kojima         Asakayama    2-1-1
#30  Mz34  Iwamoto        Tamanoi      2-2
#32  Mz43  Hara           Takanohana   2-2
#34  Mz27  Hironaka       Asahiyama    2-3
#36  Mz36  Sasaki         Hakkaku      2-3

Remaining order:
#38  Mz28  Ogitora        Dewanoumi    1-4
#40  Mz33  Iguchi         Tamanoi      1-3-1
#42  Mz12  Toya           Tomozuna     0-4
#44  Mz30  Shishimaru     Tagonoura    0-4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And the niban-shusse. 27 rikishi stepped on the dohyo, those being the 28 post-Day 5 qualifiers minus ineligible Goketsuyama and missing Takanoryu, but plus Daiyusho who hadn't been there for the Day 5 presentation.

Ogitora and Shishimaru are correct after all, and the shikona in the summary tables are now confirmed complete.

In addition, Fukazawa's shusshin has been corrected. Rather than 鳥取県鳥取市 Tottori-ken, Tottori-shi (he attended Tottori Johoku HS), he is now listed as hailing from 大阪府守口市 Osaka-fu, Moriguchi-shi.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2