Akinomaki

New recruits for Haru 2018

After middle school graduation, Kiyoshi貞 Kume粂  (14, 183cm, 132kg - one kanji name and first name) from Tsuruoka-city, Yamagata will enter Sadogatake beya.

The oyakata already is scouting him since primary school, and he was invited each winter to the Sadogatake-beya support party in Tendo-city after entering middle school. He had thought about going to high school first, but this year several other heya started to invite him and the wish to stand on the highest stage became strong. In August he got the official call from Sadogatake and "I want to gambarize under the oyakata from Yamagata who cared to watch me since I was small."

His father did sumo in university and he genuinely started to do sumo at age 5. Since 5th grade he trains at the Saketa sumo classroom in the Saketa Budokan - and will do so till graduation. In 6th grade he reached 100kg and in middle school gained 10kg each year.

On 8/6/2017 at 17:46, mikawa said:

第28回全国都道府県中学生相撲選手権大会

This second biggest sumo tournament at Middle School level took place today at the Kokugikan Stadium, and features 3 categories - Lightweight, Open Weight and Team competition.

Open Weight Competition

Semi-Finals - Kume Kiyoshi (粂 貞, Yamagata)

Many oyakatas and rikishis were there in the Kokugikan, presumably to scout out potential new recruits, including Sadogatake-oyakata (former Kotonowaka) and Naruto-oyakata (former Kotooshu)

In his 2nd year he won a Tohoku tournament, at the national prefectures tournament this year he reached the semis in spite of an injured right ankle. The oyakata: "He's doing the ideal textbook sumo, getting a right grip and without stop moving forward ."

Kume with a clear goal: "Reaching firm command of the plain basics like shiko and suriashi, I want to win against a yokzuna some day."

http://yamagata-np.jp/news/201711/07/kj_2017110700138.php

img_2017110700139.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

14, 183cm, 132kg

Wow. The average 14-year-old boy stands at ~165cm, weighing ~50kg, asians probably even less. He already has Harumafuji-dimensions. Let there be a growth sprint...

He may enter already for Hatsu - but it's not decided yet and I already have this thread

Yoshiki Sakabayashi (17, 175cm, 130kg), local from the Takaoka koryo high school, Toyama pref. will enter Onoe-beya - as the 6th from his high school.

He loves sumo since he was small and started it at 3rd grade. He was in the best 32 at the March high school select tournament, won the pref. tournament heavy weight division and was 4th at the pref. interhigh. He gained 30kg in the 3 years at high school.

In June he trained together with Onoe-beya rikishi when they came to the prefecture and was approached by the oyakata. In August he was in Tokyo and at the heya.

new page with video: http://news.bbt.co.jp/topics_detail.phtml?Record_ID=92b3d9e653af848c91f7158f769ebbe1 about the press conference with the coach at the high school "My goal is to rise to juryo." "I want to make use of the oshi-zumo I worked on all the time." He wants to become a rikishi like the Toyama new star Asanoyama.

the video at this site won't show for me

E120171110143036.jpgo

PK2017111002100223_size0.jpgo

833b1f10-c4f4-4754-a2b0-de0743ec8654.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Yoshiki Sakabayashi (17, 175cm, 130kg), local from the Takaoka koryo high school, Toyama pref. will enter Onoe-beya

Onoe-oyakata appeared only in the morning papers: "Because I think he will still get bigger, I want him to work on his oshi-zumo and become a rikishi on a great scale like Asanoyama."

52f0ff2a-2435-4c45-8ea3-88c8b51d0370.jpgo4.jpgo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another uchi-deshi for Futagoyama-oyakata (Miyabiyama): Kento Souma 相馬健人 (14, 184cm, 125kg - from 173cm, 86kg at start of middle school) from Otawara, Tochigi will enter Fujishima-beya. He started sumo in 5th grade and caught the eye of Fujishima already in primary school: "I think he will lose the first 1, 2 years because he still lacks muscle strength, but he's big and eager to learn. No problem." Souma won with the school team as captain the Kanto championships and was in the best 8 at the national championships: "I'm not anxious, I'm looking forward to it." http://www.shimotsuke.co.jp/news/tochigi/sports/general/news/20171130/2890400

with the coach of the Wakakusa middle school sumo club - he'll be the first pro from the school

CNTS2017112903364_BaseImage_R.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I like hearing about the youngsters as early as there is news about them, so that I may have the option of tracking their progress before they get into the limelight. The NSK doesn't even bother to put a picture up on the official site :(

Iwamori (18, 191cm, 190kg), like Yago from Tokachi, Hokkaido, will enter Hakkaku-beya. He has no sumo experience and in judo just a bit, but the right body - and he wants to make good use of it.

He did no sports in primary school, was a member in the table tennis club in the last year at middle school and entered the judo club in the 2nd year at high school. In December last year at the national judo championships Hokkaido tournament he lost his first fight, but caught the eye of a Hakkaku-beya scout and got an invitation to join, which he refused "That was a world I had no interest for." At a tournament in June he got another invitation from the same guy and began to think about it. In September he got an invitation from Hakkaku-beya and went to the heya and also got the opportunity to watch day 15 of the Aki basho. And he got praise from Hakkaku-oyakata for his stature - "So far it was only a reason for getting made fun of. It made me happy that somebody saw it as a plus." - and he decided to enter. "I don't think it to be an ordure, I hate to lose and want to give it a try." "I want to go as far as I can." His mother: "Since you decided to do it, aim for higher!"

http://www.hokkaido-nl.jp/article/4120

201712081328120_l.jpg

I would agree should Kintamayama expect him to be out by the end of the year

Edited by Akinomaki

On 12/8/2017 at 13:46, Akinomaki said:

Iwamori (18, 191cm, 190kg), like Yago from Tokachi, Hokkaido, will enter Hakkaku-beya. He has no sumo experience and in judo just a bit, but the right body - and he wants to make good use of it.

"I don't think it to be an ordure, I hate to lose and want to give it a try." "I want to go as far as I can." His mother: "Since you decided to do it, aim for higher!"

Iwamori yesterday had a press conference at his school to announce his future career as a rikishi, and he already learned what one has to say for this occasion: "I'm a bit anxious, but I want to make use of my physique and do my best to become yokozuna." http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/article/150953

with Hakkaku-beya's general manager Hasegawa, who scouted him

e780b4e3483635c0f3db8e794e2b8a08.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 11/8/2017 at 18:46, Akinomaki said:

After middle school graduation, Kiyoshi貞 Kume粂  (14, 183cm, 132kg - one kanji name and first name) from Tsuruoka-city, Yamagata will enter Sadogatake beya.

The oyakata already is scouting him since primary school, and he was invited each winter to the Sadogatake-beya support party in Tendo-city after entering middle school.

Kume was presented to the heya supporters at the encouragement party of Sadogatake-beya today: "I want do my best to reach sanyaku like the oyakata." http://yamagata-np.jp/news/201712/22/kj_2017122200440.php

Sadogatake on the left, Kotoshogiku on the right

img_2017122200346.jpg

• Like 1

For Irumagawa-beya: Akeda (I go with Asashosakari's kokutai 2016 for the reading, he made the junior's best 16 there)  - (18, 175cm, 132kg) from the Okayama University of Science High School. He started sumo in 2nd year middle school. In Irumagawa-beya there are already 2 OB's from his high school now, Hotsukasa and Saidaiji. That made him come to the heya's keiko and so he decided to join this heya.

"Not everybody can do it (try it in the  sumo world). I want to see how strong and how far I can get." Irumagawa: "His resolute oshi-zumo caught my attention. I want him for the beginning put his efforts into going towards sekitori." http://www.sanyonews.jp/article/661415

with the oyakata at the high school today

6c6e53fc71908ec89c755f587f774283.jpg

a pity that the pic is gone - it may have been him:

On 28.2.2017 at 18:18, Akinomaki said:

Irumagawa-oyakata (left) with Saidaij and Omoto visited the sumo club of the high school where the 2 graduated from. http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/local/okayama/news/20170227-OYTNT50132.html

Saidaiji with a club member

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

On 1/29/2018 at 21:36, Akinomaki said:

For Irumagawa-beya: Akeda (I go with Asashosakari's kokutai 2016 for the reading, he made the junior's best 16 there)  - (18, 175cm, 132kg) from the Okayama University of Science High School.

The reading is Shunsuke Aketa 緋田 俊輔 - local TV http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180130-00010000-ksbv-l33

The local NHK news page is gone, but in the cache, and the video can be accessed (maybe only till) today with

youtube-dl rtmp://flv.nhk.or.jp/ondemand/flv/lnews/okayama/4024603771_20180130122228.mp4

wst1801310016-n1.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

I was almost going to create a new topic for this but decided against it, but is there a list out there of potential Makushita or Sandanme TD candidates for the next year or two? I thought I heard a while ago there would be quite a few this year is there a list any place?

7 minutes ago, Yukiarashi said:

I was almost going to create a new topic for this but decided against it, but is there a list out there of potential Makushita or Sandanme TD candidates for the next year or two? I thought I heard a while ago there would be quite a few this year is there a list any place?

There is indeed:

Edited by Katooshu
  • Thanks 1

Speaking of which...Nihon University had a big celebratory party in honour of university yokozuna Nozomi Nakashima on Tuesday, reports Sports Hochi, with some 800 guests including various alumni who are now part of the sumo world. It doesn't sound as though Nakashima will be joining them, though, as he's set to move into a coaching job at Nihon when he graduates in a couple of months.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lots on Kizaki in the amasumo section here. He was the 2013 high school yokozuna and was my pick for 2017 collegiate rikishi of the year, though the college scene didn't seem particularly strong last year. His brother is also in Kise-beya (Ms 11 Kizaki)

He's about 175 160kg and is an aggressive pusher proner to the occasional Toyohibiki spill. I like his tachiai. Doesn't seem very capable on the belt.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Irumagawa-oyakata is on successful scouting tour again: he gets for his heya Daisuke Mimori (18, 172cm, 105kg) from Utsunomiya, graduating from Shizuoka prefectural Fujinomiya-north high school - it was announced yesterday at the school. He's the 3rd to go into ozumo from this school, his primary school sempai Miyanofuji is in Irumagawa-beya.

Till middle school he was into football and only really started sumo in high school. In his 2nd year he was at the inter-high in the team, at the Tokai regional inter-high last year he was 3rd, the oyakata noticed him at prefecture tournaments  -  his coach says "His sumo experience is shallow, but he has the potential for more."

He: "I'm aiming for sekitori within 5 years." - and to be quickly in the ranks that get shown on TV, so that his sumo loving grandfather (78) can see him.

The oyakata: "I will give him advice, but to have this raw jewel shine, his own effort is the best."

On the left the sumo coach, on the right the headmaster

20180205-OHT1I50177-L.jpgo

IP180205TAN000038000.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Hikari Ito (15, 175cm, 115kg) from Odate-city, Akita, joins Sadogatake-beya. His family had encouraged him to start sumo in 1st year primary school. The oyakata approached him in 4th grade at the national wampaku tournament, when he cried after losing in the preliminaries: "No need to cry. Won't you join my heya after middle school?" The oyakata liked his strong tachi-ai impact and how he remained at the edge. In 6th grade he was runner-up at this tournament. The official invitation was when the oyakata came to the school last April, in August he had a 3day experience stay at the heya, in September his determination to become rikishi became firm and since December he's going to a local gym to strengthen all his muscles.

His rikishi ideal is same prefecture Takekaze, who like him has judo experience: "I want to learn from his way to not back off from the opponent (the way of Takekaze henka?). I'll make good use of my judo trained skills to throw the opponent off balance."

"Overcoming the anxiety to plunge into an unknown world, I want to give something back to all those who supported me so far."

http://www.sakigake.jp/news/article/20180206AK0002/

20180206ak0002_01_l.jpgo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Terasawa (22, 182cm, 126kg) from Sado, Niigata, 4th year Toyodai, will enter Takasago-beya, where 1 year sempai Murata is: "I saw my sempai (esp. Mitakeumi and Wakatakakage) and rivals from other schools  do well in sumo and thought I want to challenge for it myself. I want to do my best to reach sekitori in as few basho as possible."

Last year he won the national select university championships in Usa http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/36551-57th-all-japan-college-sumo-usa-tournament-2017-5-3/

and in Kanazawa http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/36805-7th-all-japan-college-sumo-kanazawa-tournament-2017-7-16/

- but not where it mattered for the sd TD qualification -  he'll start from maezumo.

The win against Naya in the 1st round of the All Japan championships preliminaries in December

201802060000632-w200_0.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Terasawa also has amateur wins over Takakeisho, Enho, and Mitoryu. He was mikawa's pick for 2017 collegiate rikishi of the year:

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2

Amajanai Kohei (33, 186cm, 133kg) from definitely not Mongolia will join Isegahama-beya. He apparently has never done sumo before, but is transferring over from university where he was studying to be in law enforcement. When asked about accepting such an old recruit with no sumo experience, Isegahama oyakata responded that "although old, he's in pretty decent shape and is picking up sumo really quick. he'll definitely be ready for haru!" 

AMAJANAI.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 20

Yuya Ueda (18. 167cm, 100kg) from Tokushima Myozai high, Ishii town enters Fujishima-beya.

He started judo in 3rd year primary school and in Ishii middle school in addition did sumo - after entering high school he concentrated on sumo alone. With then 66kg his impact power was weak and he kept losing to those his age. That made him train hard to acquire speed and flexibility, and last year he won the Tokushima pref. inter-high individuals and won 2 of his 3 bouts with the team at the national inter-high.

Fujishima-beya's Kiyomigata-oyakata (Bushuyama) is a college kohai of his sumo coach, that led to an invitation to join there. From Dec. 8th to 10th he took part in keiko at the heya, and this solidified his resolve to enter: "The heya has a good atmosphere,  I'm prepared for everything. Now that I'll be doing it, I want to get stronger and rise higher."

Fujishima-oyakata will come to the school on the 24th for the official announcement to enter.

https://www.47news.jp/localnews/prefectures/tokushima/1533419.html

to read the whole article you have to be in Japan or use a proxy

at the high school club

photo.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3