Sign in to follow this  
Otokonoyama

Sumo ticket scalpers caught

Tokyo ring employed homeless in scalping of tickets for sumo, Takarazuka

Tokyo Metropolitan Police have arrested five persons, including a man and his mother, who utilized homeless persons in the scalping of tickets for sumo matches and other events, reports TBS News (Sept. 26)...

http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2017/09/26/tokyo-ring-employed-homeless-in-scalping-of-tickets-for-sumo-takarazuka/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The homeless were employed for this purpose in the crazy days when the present Kokugikan opened. At first scalpers hired students to sleep on the street for two or three days -- then they realized  that the homeless slept on the street anyway.

Orion

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

i thought it was ok to scalpe tickets in Tokyo?  was it the resell online that broke the law?

Scalping is never legal. Reselling of tickets that are proven to be for private use by the buyer is, when the buyer is suddenly unable to attend the event.
But if a buyer is structurally unable to attend the event himself, the reselling becomes suspicious, in particular if a handsome profit can be made.

When I came to Tokyo to attend the May basho this year, I was astonished to learn that my own tickets (for the first 8 days) would have paid for my flight and hostel, if I had wanted to sell them, and even net me a profit. The extremely narrow window of availability, combined with a high demand, makes scalping very lucrative.

A sumo basho is not the same as a Rembrandt being auctioned to the highest bidder, or making a protit out of bitcoins. It should not be an arena for speculation (other than guessing who will win the Cup). There should be a system for getting compensated for returning a ticket that can't be used, so that it might be sold to someone one a "reserve" list at a modest administrative markup fee. That would be fair. But those who buy up tickets only to sell them at an outragous profit should be stopped.

Edited by orandashoho

I don't like the idea of personalizing tickets (privacy, data security), but the swamp has to be drained. It's not only sumo. If you are not there until a given point of time or if you don't let know you are running late (via app), your ticket is voided. The ticket will then immediately be available at the counter for the queuing people. Return it in advance - full refund. Don't make it in time/autovoid - 50%. Claiming running late, but then not showing up - well, bummer.

I really hate that, but linking a ticket to a personal ID like a passport should do it.

37 minutes ago, Benihana said:

If you are not there until a given point of time or if you don't let know you are running late (via app), your ticket is voided

Sumo starts at 8a.m. most days, most people only arrive for makuuchi, around 16.00h, and those with the best tickets often only for the 2nd half, 17:00h, the last hour, some even only for the ozeki/yokozuna.

No voids then, but not transferable. Maybe a small refund-penalty for not using the ticket and a full refund for a return prior to 0800.

back in the day, i was approached by "dafuya" every time i went to kokugikan.  they were right out in the open, steps away from the box office. 

if you went before 5am, to line up for same day tickets, they were there.  though the box office staff was fairly sharp, cause the dafuya would get back into line, and when the reached the box office the 2nd time, they would refuse to sell them tickets another time. 

plus i would see dafuya at tokyo dome, and they would be selling tickets to concerts and what not.  a matter of fact, i've purchased from them a couple times.

however in osaka, dafuya could not be found outside the basho in March.  i had to go several blocks away to get tickets from a scalper.  someone explained to me that dafuya was legal in tokyo but no where else. 

this is decades ago, so things could have easily changed since then.