Sign in to follow this  
Atenzan

Translation frustration

OK, the story goes like this, there's a theatre festival that's hired me to translate their archives of programmes, leaflets and whatnot. Greek to English. It pays the bills, but...

Aaaaaaaaargh.

Just because you decided to put your unemployed second cousin on the festival payroll doesn't mean you have to make a rectal withdrawal of a new job title just for him.

As the saying goes, you don't need to understand what something means when you read it. Neither do you have to understand what something means when you write it, though that is unfortunate. But you have to understand what something means if you're translating it. 

Pray tell, what the f**k exactly is a "movement coordinator"? Not a choreographer, mind you. That's a different person. Presumably one with an actual job, and actual qualifications, who might do something to contribute to the play. (Future translator for the same people, because I sure am not working for them again, this is likely the only google result you're getting in quotes. Επιμέλεια κίνησης)

"Post-production video"? This is theatre. It's LIVE. Is your play so bad that nobody would try to slyly record it on their phone, so you hired a guy to do that instead? What does that mean? Get over yourselves. I know exactly how small the venues you're playing at are, there is no way you're making enough profits off 10 euro tickets in one night to pay all these people.

These are two of about nine new job titles featured there 

In fact, how are you paying all these people? How are you paying me?

... "Festival funded jointly by the Ministry of Culture and the European Union".

Ah. I'm paying all these people.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Thanks for this entertainig insight of our dayly struggles on your side.^^

If my Minister of Finance knew that Greece still holds money to fund a cultural event, he would probably flatten the theatre with his wheelchair… :-S

*SCNR*

8 minutes ago, torquato said:

Thanks for this entertainig insight of our dayly struggles on your side.^^

If my Minister of Finance knew that Greece still holds money to fund a cultural event, he would probably flatten the theatre with his wheelchair… :-S

*SCNR*

As far as I can remember, there is a certain (relatively small) amount of money, domestic and European, that we're allowed to allocate to culture. 

However if this is what we're doing with it it's probably a better idea to get ten people two new books every day, make them forget them on the bus on purpose and wait for the people of Athens to pick them up. 

You can call them "printed matter distributors" if you want to go with the trend. 

In a country that is dependent on tourism, culture is a very important aspect that brings money back into the economy. It won't do not to keep up your monuments, or not offer quality experiences to visitors. Cutting off all funding is bad economy.
And it is only fitting that the intra-European visitors help pay for what they have come to see, isn't it?