rhyen

Basho Talk - Aki 2017 (SPOILERS)

2 hours ago, 808morgan said:

He, like other continually injured rikishi, better to go get healthy and fully recover, then climb back up. If they were healthy and trained up they should have no trouble getting back through the ranks. I don't understand the mentality for risking injury that may leave you unable to ever recover. Is it the money? Yes you get paid up there at the top but when you are too injured to ever come back what good is it?

Does the oyakata makes more money if a rikishi is active in a basho than if he isn't?

5 hours ago, 808morgan said:

I don't understand the mentality for risking injury that may leave you unable to ever recover. Is it the money? Yes you get paid up there at the top but when you are too injured to ever come back what good is it?

More than the money, it is getting back to the role of a servant, after you have become used to be a master (sekitori).

• Like 3

Saw this graphic during the broadcast. It says something about different kimarite. I can only make out some of them, like okuritsuridashi, which are rarely (if ever) seen during honbasho. Were they talking about the rarest kimarite or something?

AAA.jpg

3 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

More than the money, it is getting back to the role of a servant, after you have become used to be a master (sekitori).

Yes, that's quite possibly the biggest reason, rikishi being unwilling to give up the status. (After all, we see lower division rikishi take 8+ months off after serious injuries all the time, so it's not like rushing back to competition is required.) Unfortunately, the way sumo is structured I'm not sure there's an easy solution there. Even the old kosho system was just a weak compromise after all. One whose acceptability was kind of dependent on it not getting used too much.

And don't forget, we're talking about natural born fighters. Sitting out is hurting their mind more than participating would do to their body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adil said:

Saw this graphic during the broadcast. It says something about different kimarite. I can only make out some of them, like okuritsuridashi, which are rarely (if ever) seen during honbasho. Were they talking about the rarest kimarite or something?

AAA.jpg

The were the 2001 additions to the kimarite list, as authored by the shomein oyakata, Oyama, who will be retiring in October. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Godaiko said:

I was a little surprised that there was no monoii after the Ikoi-Ishiura bout. 

I think it was that 'dead body' business; i.e. even though Ikioi appeared to touch down with his hand first, Ishiura was falling backwards and unable to recover, and was therefore already beaten.

Another 'dame-nage' (if there is such a thing) from Chiyonokuni today. I've noticed he does that quite frequently, pulling throws when he's already out.

I quite enjoyed the brawl between Kagayaki and Takanoiwa, but I thought it ended oddly. Kagayaki appeared to throw himself down when Takanoiwa removed the support...

Harumafuji looks desperate not to give away any more kinboshi.

Most entertaining day of the basho so far, IMHO. Was really looking forward to Chiyonokuni v. Arawashi and the guys did not disappoint. Chiyonokuni needs to watch that late throw crap, though. 

As for Ishiura v. Ikioi, if that was indeed shini-tai, that's fine, but I wish they would apply it more consistently. Sometimes I just don't get what the shimpan are thinking. 

3 hours ago, Adil said:

Guest announcer was the guy who calls the kimarites, and he was talking all along the watchtower broadcast about kimarites and their history and the sometimes tiny difference between a common kimarite and an ultra-rare one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Godaiko said:

I was a little surprised that there was no monoii after the Ikoi-Ishiura bout. 

Yeah, it looked like a textbook example of a torinaoshi to me...but then I guess there is no actual textbook on when a redo is decided on.

Not sure how long Harumafuji can keep this up. It looked like he used every last bit of his skill and strength there. 

Battle of the oshi between Takakeisho and Chiyotairyuu was exciting, but in the end the youngster couldn't win just yet. 

Goeido might just be able to run away with this yusho. He's not in the zone like he was for his first yusho, but seems like he can somehow keep winning nevertheless. Unless Aoiyama spoils it for him :D

Odd end to the Chiyonokuni-Arawashi match. Chiyonokuni seemed to be attempting a throw while practically standing in the audience. Surely he knew the bout was over by then.

Was I the only one who thought Tamawashi wasn’t actually injured? I’m not sure why people were saying he would go kyūjō from that. I’m surprised he even bothered to tape up the foot…

4 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

Was I the only one who thought Tamawashi wasn’t actually injured? I’m not sure why people were saying he would go kyūjō from that. I’m surprised he even bothered to tape up the foot…

Oh, he is injured for sure. 

5 hours ago, ALAKTORN said:

Yes you probably were the only one. Whether many of us though he would go kyujo is another matter... ;-)

10 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I quite enjoyed the brawl between Kagayaki and Takanoiwa, but I thought it ended oddly. Kagayaki appeared to throw himself down when Takanoiwa removed the support...

I think it was more that he lost his balance and knew he was going down, at which point all rikishi are well trained in how to fall properly, which can appear, as you noted, as if they are throwing themselves to the ground, where actually in this case it was simply a well-disciplined fall. 

12 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I think it was that 'dead body' business; i.e. even though Ikioi appeared to touch down with his hand first, Ishiura was falling backwards and unable to recover, and was therefore already beaten.

Another 'dame-nage' (if there is such a thing) from Chiyonokuni today. I've noticed he does that quite frequently, pulling throws when he's already out.

Harumafuji looks desperate not to give away any more kinboshi.

Totally agree with you regarding the reason Ikioi took the white star.  The same thing happened when Ikioi upset Hakuho in March of this year (at least in that case a monoii was called).  But I have to say that the judges in the tournament are getting lazy (less vigilant).  Close decisions like that deserve a monoii.  It's like the judges can't be bothered to stand up and climb up on the ring.  With only 18 bouts (rather than the usual 21) per day, wasting time should not be an issue!

The Takanoiwa v. Kagayaki bout was a virtual slap-fest (read harite).  If you watch the end of the bout again, you'll see that Takanoiwa reached behind Kagayaki's neck and yanked, following through with an extra little shove.  But Kagayaki was so tired and probably half unconscious by that point, that it didn't take much to send him flying off the ring.

When I thought I'd seen my full of harite for one day, Harumafuji and Shohozan exchanged about six harite each in their bout.  I'd say Harumafuji got the better of Shohozan in that exchange.  Ideally, no Makushita wrestler would dare slap a Yokozuna.  But then harites are not exactly considered Yokozuna sumo worthy either.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

Wakaichiro gets his win to move back to an even 2-2. Needs to go 2-1 over his last 3 matches to secure KK and promotion to Sandanme. Ganbatte Wakaichiro!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

When I thought I'd seen my full of harite for one day, Harumafuji and Shohozan exchanged about six harite each in their bout.  I'd say Harumafuji got the better of Shohozan in that exchange.  Ideally, no Makushita wrestler would dare slap a Yokozuna.  But then harites are not exactly considered Yokozuna sumo worthy either.

I'm pretty sure no Makushita wrestler has ever slapped a yokozuna. As for maegashira, the way to handle that is how Asashoryu did it: throw the offender off the doyho the next time you are matched against him. Of course Harumafuji doesn't have the bulk to do that, and may not have the meanness required to do it either. He's not in top form, but I'm certain he's under a lot of pressure to stay in the basho as the sole yokozuna standing. I don't imagine he'll be criticized even if he ends up 9-6, under the circumstances.

• Like 1

Enho is 4-0 btw. already KK. 18-0 since he began his career, amazing.

Man is 169 cm and 95kg. But I guess being Hakuho's protege means a lot more than height or weight.

• Like 1