rhyen

Basho Talk - Aki 2017 (SPOILERS)

As said by some people, Goeindo's sumo was not convincing even when he was in his 10 winnings streak.

Maybe interesting side effect of all the absences: Onosho is the first guy in the 6BPYE who followed up on his 10+ Makuuchi debut with two more consecutive 10+ results.

That, and he is tied with Taiho on second place for most wins in first three (consecutive) Makuuchi basho at 30.

First on that list is Hakuho with 31.

I once said if he won this one and the next one he might be promoted to yokozuna but no one here agreed. 

Bad Wig Man was there today but he wasn't in his usual seat and he didn't have any of his (numerous) daughters with him. He did have a good pick of his nose though after one of the bouts, so there is that I guess

Enho at 21-0 with 3 Yusho already. He might be a bit on the small side but I don't think that will impact him all that much to be honest. I'm not saying he's a 100% lock for future Yokozuna but I can imagine him performing really well as a Sekitori like Ura or even better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Adil said:

I just saw John Gunning's name as one of the three English announcers on the Japanese feed. Is this his first time? In any case, this is major news and congrats to Gunning-san.

"English". Not sure he'll view that kindly.

Some very good sumo today. Enho and Onosho both looking very good, and many other strong performers. I particularly liked Kotoshogiku's efforts today. And, we should hear scant Harumafuji bashing for a bit. Hoping Hakuo is back in Fukuoka.

5 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Stunning comeback from Ama - very convincing putdown of Goeido both times.

I hoped for it, so glad it happened... after the Matta let down in the Kotoshugiku fight I was sure Karma would be on his site... and well.. I believe it had a role in it!

What surprised me was with what ease he won those bouts.

Harumafuji had the yusho in his pocket mawashi after the first bout. You could see it from Goeido's face. The second bout was a mere formality.

6 minutes ago, SumpaX said:

What surprised me was with what ease he won those bouts.

The surprise is rather with how much ease Goeido lost 4 of his last 5 bouts - likely before next basho he'll reveal the nature of the injury that caused this.

2 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

The surprise is rather with how much ease Goeido lost 4 of his last 5 bouts - likely before next basho he'll reveal the nature of the injury that caused this.

(Laughing...) well thats also a way of describing it... altho I didnt know he was injured, hope its nothing bad!

8 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Agreed, considering his zensho the previous Aki Basho. 

Congratulations to Harumafuji. Although we don't know how bad his injuries actually are, he did what the yokozuna are supposed to do - win the basho.

I'm now waiting for the YDC to announce that they're not happy and he really needed to get 2-3 more wins.

5 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Stunning comeback from Ama - very convincing putdown of Goeido both times.

3 hours ago, Jyuunomori said:

Ama takes it all, wonderful, subarashii, even.

Would you guys please stop calling him by that name. He hasn't used it for 8 years, since his Ozeki promotion, and I suspect continued use of that old shikona might be a bit insulting.

Edited by Fukurou
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Harumafuji had the yusho in his pocket mawashi after the first bout. You could see it from Goeido's face. The second bout was a mere formality.

It seemed to me that Goeido was looking for a Harumafuji non-henka in the playoff, and was caught off guard when it didn't happen.  Congrats to Harumafuji for hanging in there after the early losses.

4 hours ago, Jyuunomori said:

Enho goes and bloody does it. His third 7-0 Yusho, undefeated 21-0. He is gonna make some kind of history later.

With such a great jinx he will lose his very first bout next basho! ;-)

But on the other hand he maybe will walk in Haguroyama footsteps, who won a yusho in every single division below makuushi in just one basho each. Who knows...

Maybe Goeido is injured, he did lose too easy it seams.

Question: With Kotoshugiku at 10-5 at m1, can there be more then 2 sekewake since both Mitakiumi and Yoshikaze went 8-7 ( I don't see the hair pull)? I know there can be 4 komusubi. 

Edited by Philioyamfugi

They'll have to have more than two, since the current ones both KK'd and Terunofuji is getting demoted. Possible to force your way up to extra one as well, but pretty unlikely. I think the last was Kakuryu going 12-3 from Komusubi, while Kotoshogiku (10) and Kisenosato (8) were holding down the usual spots.

With how bad his sumo was this basho, Goeido better be injured.  Even if some of it was due to being kadoban and wanting cheap wins, that doesn't explain what happened after he got his 8th win.  He seemed to think he wasn't much of a threat in a straight-up bout.  And since he was in the yusho race when he got his 8, he figured he might as well keep trying for the yusho.

7 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Correct. Musashimaru's 2nd in November 96.

The only other time in the 6BPYE was in January 1972: Tochiazuma I in his one and only yusho win, one of the rare Maegashira successes. (They still tried to figure out the new plot after Taiho's retirement a couple of months earlier, I guess).

It was also in the wake of Tamanoumi dying suddenly at the peak of his powers and a devastated Kitanofuji going into a slump as a result. Six different tournament winners in '72. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lackmaker said:

"English". Not sure he'll view that kindly.

Short for "English language."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

As someone in this forum once said, he (Goeindo) is "reliably unreliable".

and since Aminishiki will be return to Makuuchi in Kyushu, here is a commetary from a sumo journalist on the longevity of the current generation of rikishi
https://smart-flash.jp/sports/25739

Anyone care to translate?

Edited by rhyen

I watched Jason’s coverage of the last bout and jesus, the rikishi look completely different in that high definition… Harumafuji has some mad acne(?) and Gōeidō had bruises on his right arm and after the last bout around his right eye. That tachiai got him good.

9 hours ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Correct. Musashimaru's 2nd in November 96.

The only other time in the 6BPYE was in January 1972: Tochiazuma I in his one and only yusho win, one of the rare Maegashira successes. (They still tried to figure out the new plot after Taiho's retirement a couple of months earlier, I guess).

Which means this is the first time a Yokozuna wins the title with 4 losses.

• Thanks 1