rhyen

Basho Talk - Aki 2017 (SPOILERS)

44 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

His shisho the current Isegahama oyakata did achieve a yusho while handing out three kinboshi

That's not correct.

42 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

If Harumafuji does pull off the yusho win he will become the first yokozuna to have won the yusho while handing out four kinboshi. His shisho the current Isegahama oyakata did achieve a yusho while handing out three kinboshi, but no yokozuna has ever done while handing out four. Given the fact that the previous two times the yusho was won at 11-4 were by a hiramaku and an ozeki, this would definitely be a first, and not a great one at that indeed.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/201709240000177.html

That's it, then.  Goeido has to get the yusho ;-).   Personally, I give Gowaydo a better than 50% chance.   Harumafuji is not at his best and Godo has a decent shot at taking  at least one of the two (if there is a playoff) matches.   He can even make thing simple by beating him in regulation.  

10 hours ago, Highway said:

What a turnaround this will end up if Harumafuju pulls it off tomorrow. But I am predicting Goeido will lose the first, and win the second. 

Yes, Harumafuji impressed me by keeping his yusho hope alive after starting 2-3.  I was sure that he will go kyujo but he kept on.  

I just saw John Gunning's name as one of the three English announcers on the Japanese feed. Is this his first time? In any case, this is major news and congrats to Gunning-san.

38 minutes ago, Adil said:

I just saw John Gunning's name as one of the three English announcers on the Japanese feed. Is this his first time? In any case, this is major news and congrats to Gunning-san.

Major news for you only I guess, he is a regular guest commentator for quite some time. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kuroimori said:

Major news for you only I guess, he is a regular guest commentator for quite some time. 

I see.... I never watch the English stream / digest, so I didn't know.

Stunning comeback from Ama - very convincing putdown of Goeido both times.

However, can someone enlighten me on the Mitakeumi hair pulling incident.  He may not have grabbed the chonmage itself, but it was a definite hair pull.  That's still illegal, right?  Would they rectify the call after the tournament?

1 minute ago, Yatagarasu said:

Stunning comeback from Ama - very convincing putdown of Goeido both times.

However, can someone enlighten me on the Mitakeumi hair pulling incident.  He may not have grabbed the chonmage itself, but it was a definite hair pull.  That's still illegal, right?  Would they rectify the call after the tournament?

Once the match is over there are no backsies... They could have called a judges conference but they did not seem to see the need to so the match results stands.

8 minutes ago, yutarotanaka said:

Once the match is over there are no backsies... They could have called a judges conference but they did not seem to see the need to so the match results stands.

Would he at least get a telling off?  Seems kind of off to let that go completely unmarked, especially when it was to decide his KK.

Well, that was a satisfying end to a crazy basho. Glad I had that weird dream wake me up so I could watch the stream, that was really exciting. 

I haven't seen the maegashira matches yet, so I'll avoid reading the thread until I do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Would he at least get a telling off?  Seems kind of off to let that go completely unmarked, especially when it was to decide his KK.

I just texted Mitakeumi... Told him not to do it again... He says he is sorry... :-D:-P

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, yutarotanaka said:

I just texted Mitakeumi... Told him not to do it again... He says he is sorry... :-D:-P

Phew!  Aww, thanks dude.  (Laughing...)   Sorry, but for some reason it just really rankled with me.  I hate seeing stuff like that, especially from a sanyaku.  His desperation to hold onto his rank clearly got the better of him.

Abi wins Juryo, but out of him & the other 3 playoff contenders, who goes to Makuuchi? I think Kotoyuki & Aminishiki both go up, but what about Abi (J11) & Homarefuji (J6)?

And all is right with the world as the banzake shows it's perfection... The gods will sleep well until  November. 

5 minutes ago, ny32986 said:

Abi wins Juryo, but out of him & the other 3 playoff contenders, who goes to Makuuchi? I think Kotoyuki & Aminishiki both go up, but what about Abi (J11) & Homarefuji (J6)?

please follow this thread for some great analysis from Asashosakari.

Confirmed should be Aminishiki, Kotoyuki, Myogiryu & Daiamami.

on the bubble should be Homarefuji.

5 minutes ago, Philioyamfugi said:

And all is right with the world as the banzake shows it's perfection... The gods will sleep well until  November. 

Abi is way too far down the juryo banzuke for a 10-5 to produce a promotion to makuuchi. Aminishiki, Kotoyuki, Daiamami, Myogiryu and, possibly (but by no means guaranteed), Homarefuji will be the promotion pecking order.

For those anticipating the macron before the awards ceremony was prematurely cut to news 
DKel_Pa_IU8_AAOIk_J.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Third 11-4 yusho in makunouchi, if I'm not mistaken, first one since 1996. Great job by Haruma, who wudda thunk that after 5 days...? I'm sure someone can tell me how many times a yusho winner has had three losses after the first 5 days (I can guess...). Must be a bitter feeling for Goeido, though. He really had many chances to bag that title.

56 minutes ago, Maguroyama said:

Third 11-4 yusho in makunouchi, if I'm not mistaken, first one since 1996.

Correct. Musashimaru's 2nd in November 96.

The only other time in the 6BPYE was in January 1972: Tochiazuma I in his one and only yusho win, one of the rare Maegashira successes. (They still tried to figure out the new plot after Taiho's retirement a couple of months earlier, I guess).

Edited by yorikiried by fate

Ama takes it all, wonderful, subarashii, even.

Aminihsiki had to most fun regulation bout today, it was hysterical. I wanted him to take it all, sad that he didn't. What is not sad that he is 38, pushing 39 and Yusho-D't in Juryo and made it back to Makuuchi. He is going to keep wrestling forever. When Hakuho's kids are Yokozuna's he will still be wrestling.

Enho goes and bloody does it. His third 7-0 Yusho, undefeated 21-0. He is gonna make some kind of history later.

Now we will just have to see Onosho's fate. Will they drop Tamawashi to M1e or K(w). Hopefully M1e so Onosho can take Komusubi slot.

1 hour ago, Yatagarasu said:

Phew!  Aww, thanks dude.  (Laughing...)   Sorry, but for some reason it just really rankled with me.  I hate seeing stuff like that, especially from a sanyaku.  His desperation to hold onto his rank clearly got the better of him.

Looking at it a few times, i'd say it wasn't on purpose, but "in the flow". That being said, one of the shinpans should have seen that and at least called a monoii.

• Like 2

Absolutely fantastic finish. For Harumafuji to come beat Goeido twice in a row... I'm getting flashbacks of Osaka. I'd have to say Kisenosato's victory was much greater, but still.

And can someone please tell Goeido to stop those pulling shenanigans? He'd have stood a better chance if he had used a different strategy...

22 hours ago, orandashoho said:

I much rather see a yusho contest with the contenders being in top form than one in which everyone is injured like today.

I would argue if all the top guys (Y & O) were in "top form", there wouldn't be much drama at all as I'm pretty sure a healthy Hakuho  at 32 is still better than everybody else.  

• Like 1