rhyen

Basho Talk - Aki 2017 (SPOILERS)

I'm guessing we know the first Day 15 sanyaku soroibumi bout now...pretty much has to be Tamawashi vs Asanoyama, no?

(All in favour of Asanoyama winning this yusho by 11-4 without any playoff, say 'aye'.)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

(All in favour of Asanoyama winning this yusho by 11-4 without any playoff, say 'aye'.)

That would be hysterical.  I would love (and hate) to see it...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

I'm guessing we know the first Day 15 sanyaku soroibumi bout now...pretty much has to be Tamawashi vs Asanoyama, no?

I think that would be fittingly surreal for Wacky Aki.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Philioyamfugi said:

You could say its Haramafuji's yusho to lose now 

Goeido's loss and Harumafuji's win on Day 13 was perhaps the best thing to happen to this tournament.  Oddly enough, eight of the other nine (yes, 8/9!!!!) wrestlers who went into Day 13 with a 8-4 win-loss record all lost their bouts leaving it more or less a contest between Goeido and Harumafuji.  Mind you there are still two days left, and anything could still happen.  Harumafuji fights Mitakeumi today.  The latter will be hungry to get his KK, so he won't lay down against the sole Yokozuna.  

For the big senshuraku bout, Harumafuji may have to win twice in a row (the final bout and a possible playoff bout).  The record between the two is 31-11 in Harumafuji's favour.  But over the last year, they have exchanged wins which may be an indicator that Harumafuji won't be able to win two in a row.  Both wrestlers will be motivated, but Goeido's recent losses may affect his confidence...  Great stuff.

Edited by Amamaniac

23 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Goeido's loss and Harumafuji's win on Day 13 was perhaps the best thing to happen to this tournament.  Oddly enough, the other nine (yes, 9!!!!) wrestlers who went into Day 13 with a 8-4 win-loss record all lost their bouts leaving it more or less a contest between Goeido and Harumafuji.  Mind you there are still two days left, and anything could still happen.  Harumafuji fights Mitakeumi today.  The latter will be hungry to get his KK, so he won't lay down against the sole Yokozuna.

M16e Asanoyama also won to go 9-4.

Best performance by an oyakata in the commentary booth: Takanohana
DJhXTaKVwAEzrzm.jpg:large

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

That wasn't always the case. Back when I was still playing GKA (until early 2013 or so), they were pretty clearly doing the sanyaku pairings in bout order, not by banzuke rank.

That certainly would make the game even more interesting than it already is, although in a rather obnoxious way.

6 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

M16e Asanoyama also won to go 9-4.

Don't know how I could overlook Asanoyama!!!  You're absolutely right.  He could well become a wild card in the yusho race!  He will have to fight EM3 Onosho today.  It would seem that they are trying to knock him out of contention.  He could surprise everyone.  He is still green, but I think he has great potential.

9 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Best performance by an oyakata in the commentary booth: Takanohana

"Takanohana (former Takanohana)"  Same kanji too.  Seriously?

Edited by Gurowake
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

"Takanohana (former Takanohana)"  Same kanji too.  Seriously?

I believe ichidai toshoyori Yokozunas like Takanohana are allowed to keep their shikona, hence the same kanji.

5 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I believe ichidai toshoyori Yokozunas like Takanohana are allowed to keep their shikona, hence the same kanji.

Yes.  The point is it's pretty ludicrous that you would put the "former" bit when it's exactly the same.  If they had put "Takanohana-oyakata, former Yokozuna Takanohana", that might be more acceptable (if still a bit odd), but it just looks really really silly.

If it had been any other oyakata, then it would have been helpful to have their shikona as well as their toshiyori name.  But here putting the former name does not help you at all in determining who the person is, since it's no different than the elder name.

Edited by Gurowake

It may be just the way these name tags are made up. If you leave out the "former XXX" that might lead people to wondering what their former shikona has been... (though in the case of Takanohana that is a bit hard to believe)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, orandashoho said:

It may be just the way these name tags are made up. If you leave out the "former XXX" that might lead people to wondering what their former shikona has been... (though in the case of Takanohana that is a bit hard to believe)

Yeah, if you've heard of the rikishi Takanohana, you would probably realize that this person who is now the oyakata with the same name is the same person.  If you haven't heard of Takanohana, saying what his shikona was doesn't help you at all.  Perhaps if they put "ichidai toshiyori" they could get the message across without just repeating his name, although I would think anyone who knows what such a thing is would know who Takanohana is as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just watched the Takarafuji v. Endo bout.  Endo had a chance to keep pace with Harumafuji, but Takarafuji burst that bubble!  The sponsors were definitely interested in the bout, throwing 17 kensho at it.  There was even an extra banner from Nagatanien.  Takarafuji seems to have Endo's number having won the last five meetings in a row.  Takarafuji not only secured his KK, but also took home 17 kensho prizes!  He'll definitely be in the mood to celebrate.  

Hope Endo hasn't aggravated his injury, though.

Edited by Amamaniac

1 minute ago, Amamaniac said:

Hope Endo hasn't aggravated his injury, though.

Since he opted not to have the surgery he's at risk of doing that every time he steps on the dohyo.

Everyone talking about how likely we'll see an 11-4 yusho are missing the truly horrifying possibility of a 10-5 yusho.  Maybe they just don't want to think about it.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thundersnow said:

Takayasu must be truly depressed about his kyjo injury at this point...

He's probably enjoying a pity party with stablemate, Kisenosato... (forgive my insensitivity)

Edited by Amamaniac

30 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Everyone talking about how likely we'll see an 11-4 yusho are missing the truly horrifying possibility of a 10-5 yusho.  Maybe they just don't want to think about it.

That would require O1w Goeido (10-3) losing to M9e Takanoiwa (8-5) and Y1w Harumafuji (9-4) losing to S1e Mitakeumi (7-6) and M16e Asanoyama losing at least 1 of his remaining bouts. Then Harumafuji would have to beat Goeido on Day 15. It could happen. Wacky Aki would be wack.

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

Yes.  The point is it's pretty ludicrous that you would put the "former" bit when it's exactly the same.  If they had put "Takanohana-oyakata, former Yokozuna Takanohana", that might be more acceptable (if still a bit odd), but it just looks really really silly.

If it had been any other oyakata, then it would have been helpful to have their shikona as well as their toshiyori name.  But here putting the former name does not help you at all in determining who the person is, since it's no different than the elder name.

Because the guy running the subtitle software is some low level guy, and the subtitle format was decided a while ago by some bosses higher than him. Unilaterally deciding to go against the format (especially something public facing), especially when you're not a high level person, in the heat of the moment is a good way to never get promoted in a trad. Japanese company. 

1 hour ago, Gurowake said:

Yeah, if you've heard of the rikishi Takanohana, you would probably realize that this person who is now the oyakata with the same name is the same person.

Maybe, but if you're old enough to have *seen* the rikishi Takanohana in action, any confirmation that the skinny guy on the screen is actually the same person is more than welcome.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is a back-of-the-envelope calculation (and I'd love to know if there's a way to get the database to do this for me), but this I think is the list of the top-10 winningest makunouchi so far this year (* denotes currently kyuyo)::

1. Harumafuji 45

2= Takayasu 44*

2= Mitakeyumi 44

4= Hakuho 42*

4= Takakeisho 42

6  Yoshikaze 41

7 Tamawashi 40

8 Hokutofuji 39

9 Ichinojo 38

10 Kotoshogiku 36

These numbers look really low to me -- even if Harumafuji was to win every remaining bout this year he would only get to 62, and we only recently saw Hakuho getting consecutive years numbering in the 80s. Who is going to end the year on top? And how will that compare to a typical year -- if there is such a thing? Can the database show me this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Without doing any research, I would guess the average for the Rikishi of the Year is probably somewhere in the mid 70s.    Although in the last 10 yrs (the period Hakuho has been a Yokozuna) we have gotten pretty used to that number being around 80.