rhyen

Basho Talk - Aki 2017 (SPOILERS)

Morty    621

The noise when Chiyotairyu and the Geek collided at the tachiai there was titanic. I'd be interested to know what force was generated there between them. 

Mitakeumi / Shodai seemed to have a little extra there invested in that match - there is a good long term rivalry starting there.

Goeido had one plan there - pull - and it backfired.

Haraumafuji was not happy with Tamawashi's subtle little tachiai games and let him know it in all aspects of that match.

And Endo looks like he has gotten past the injuries and has that balance back that has deserted him for the past couple of years. He has sublime tachiai and belt skills when healthy and they have been on show this basho.

dada78641    89

Tomorrow Enho will fight to hopefully make it to a winning streak of 21 since entering sumo. He's fighting Tanabe, who is also 6-0 and has only lost twice in just as many bashos—in both cases, to Enho!

If he does make it to an incredible 21 wins, he will need to go zensho the next tournament to beat the #1 on the list, Jokoryu, who is at #1 with 27 wins.

• Like 1

Thundersnow    25
On 9/20/2017 at 08:59, Kintamayama said:

I hope you are joking, sir..

LOL, I wasn't joking, but as I looked at it up last evening, I realized two things: 1) how misinformed one can be from believing everything that's posted around the web (not just sumo), and 2) how strikingly parallel this Aki basho is to the last. I actually responded to something someone had written last year while hunting for the video I saw last week. I couldn't find it again easily, and don't have time to hunt for it further. Either on sumo forum or somewhere else I saw a video (I thought it was Yoshikaze) saying his swollen eye was acquired at the grocery store. While standing in line, I recall the translation stating that Ichinojo was in front of him in line by coincidence. He asked if he could go ahead of him (maybe only had one item or something), then Ichinojo turned around, hitting him in the eye with his elbow. Could this have been in a match, or by accident, a bad translation, or could I have made this whole thing up? I'm mystified, as the folks here keep so much closer track of what's happening during the bashos. If this is all rubbish, my apologies to Ichinojo. I meant no offense, and should have kept that initial comment to myself, even if that was a video from this year's Aki.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WAKATAKE    726

Well Goeido just opened the door for all those 8-4 guys. Could we be seeing Kyushu 1996 again?

Aminishiki at 8-4, one more win should clinch it for him on making the grand return to the makuuchi!

Yoshikaze the first to secure his sanyaku slot, Mitakeumi and Tamawashi still have a chance to secure theirs at 6-6 each, and even Tochiozan is hanging on for dear life at 5-7.

Geek looks to be the first sanyaku candidate after finally getting that KK, but it all depends on those above him.

Onosho finally getting KK but too little too late I'm afraid.

dada78641    89
42 minutes ago, Thundersnow said:

LOL, I wasn't joking, but as I looked at it up last evening, I realized two things: 1) how misinformed one can be from believing everything that's posted around the web (not just sumo), and 2) how strikingly parallel this Aki basho is to the last. I actually responded to something someone had written last year while hunting for the video I saw last week. I couldn't find it again easily, and don't have time to hunt for it further. Either on sumo forum or somewhere else I saw a video (I thought it was Yoshikaze) saying his swollen eye was acquired at the grocery store. While standing in line, I recall the translation stating that Ichinojo was in front of him in line by coincidence. He asked if he could go ahead of him (maybe only had one item or something), then Ichinojo turned around, hitting him in the eye with his elbow. Could this have been in a match, or by accident, a bad translation, or could I have made this whole thing up? I'm mystified, as the folks here keep so much closer track of what's happening during the bashos. If this is all rubbish, my apologies to Ichinojo. I meant no offense, and should have kept that initial comment to myself, even if that was a video from this year's Aki.

Are you sure you aren't joking?

Here's the interview you are talking about: 

Yes, it's a story about a grocery store involving Ichinojo (and Shohozan instead of Yoshikaze), but here's the kicker: it was all made up. The whole thing was a joke. That was a real interview of course, but the translation was made up of whole cloth.

I think you are the first person to ever see one of Kintamayama's famous joke interview translations and actually think it's all line-for-line real... something @Kintamayama can no doubt be proud of!

Edited by dada78641
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

dingo    320

Goeido just wanted to win too much. And when one wants something too much there's a tendency to overdo things. 

I'm really happy for Yoshikaze. I've always liked him and after his horrible 0-4 start thought it'll be a bad basho for him. But what a turnaround, 8 wins and kachikoshi in one streak! 

dada78641    89
2 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

I was just thinking about this, let's not be too hard on the guy. People were thinking that maybe he could actually clinch the yusho. So everything less than a yusho is now underwhelming. But he got his KK at M3. To me, getting a KK at M3 and above is the hallmark of the top. And technically he could improve all the way to 11-4! So he has done an absolutely splendid job at his career high rank and proven that he's not some fluke.

edit: oh, and let's not forget... 3 makuuchi basho, 3 KK!

Edited by dada78641
  • Like 1

Bumpkin    209
49 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Too late for what? The yusho? He is 8-4. He is tied for 2nd. He might get a san-sho. He might even get promoted to sanyaku.

• Like 1

Katooshu    321
2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Aoiyama got an oral warning from Yamashina vice-head shimpan for the extra shove after Kagayaki was clearly out. http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20170921/sum17092120490015-n1.html

Good. Totally needless move and he surely must've known the match was over. Aoiyama has been one of the 'top' extra shovers for a while...

Edited by Katooshu

Washuyama    372
4 hours ago, dada78641 said:

Alright everybody, it's time to shuffle. Let's go!

JYwPViz.gif

CAN'T.........  LOOK.........AWAY...!!!!!!!!!!(SpookyTVprogram...)(Onlinetoolong...)

• Like 1

Amamaniac    54
2 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Well Goeido just opened the door for all those 8-4 guys. Could we be seeing Kyushu 1996 again?

Aminishiki at 8-4, one more win should clinch it for him on making the grand return to the makuuchi!

The gap has certainly narrowed between Goeido and Harumafuji, but going into day 12, there were three wrestlers trailing Goeido by two wins.  If any of them had won their day 12 bouts, the gap would be even closer.  But all three lost their bouts along with Goeido.  So Goeido actually retained his 2 win cushion.  With his win on day 12, Harumafuji, however, moved a little closer (in fact he is now technically in second place).  The next few days will be critical for both men.  Goedio has a nice cushion, but if he loses on days 13 or 14 (especially day 13 against Takakeisho), Harumafuji could ruin his yusho hopes with a win on the senshuraku.  Something tells me the championship may not be decided until the the final bout of the final day, if not in a playoff.  The 1996 tournament in Kyushu looks intriguing indeed (five sanyaku wrestlers finished with an 11-4 record).  Any championship that is won with less than 12 wins is a little suspect imho (or am I just spoiled by Hakuho's impressive win records in recent years?).

As for Aminishiki, he is now very much poised to win the Juryo championship which would make his return to the Top Division all the sweeter.  I think many sumo fans are rooting for him!

orandashoho    332
13 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

The gap has certainly narrowed between Goeido and Harumafuji, but going into day 12, there were three wrestlers trailing Goeido by two wins.  If any of them had won their day 12 bouts, the gap would be even closer.  But all three lost their bouts along with Goeido.  So Goeido actually retained his 2 win cushion.  With his win on day 12, Harumafuji, however, moved a little closer (in fact he is now technically in second place).  The next few days will be critical for both men.  Goedio has a nice cushion, but if he loses on days 13 or 14 (especially day 13 against Takakeisho), Harumafuji could ruin his yusho hopes with a win on the senshuraku.  Something tells me the championship may not be decided until the the final bout of the final day, if not in a playoff.  The 1996 tournament in Kyushu looks intriguing indeed (five sanyaku wrestlers finished with an 11-4 record).  Any championship that is won with less than 12 wins is a little suspect imho (or am I just spoiled by Hakuho's impressive win records in recent years?).

As for Aminishiki, he is now very much poised to win the Juryo championship which would make his return to the Top Division all the sweeter.  I think many sumo fans are rooting for him!

Exactly what I've been thinking... don't write Harumafuji off just yet! And Aminishiki... oh man, how I would love to see him get back to Makuuchi in style by winning the Juryo yusho! :)

Katooshu    321

Yep, I'll be cheering hard for Aminishiki to get that first career yusho and a return to makuuchi. Mean old Nishikigi had to spoil the party back in May >:-(

• Like 1

Bumpkin    209

I don't believe that O1w Goeido's (10-2) loss to M4e Shohozan (6-6) was anything more than a bump on the road to Yusho #2. He faces M5w Takakeisho (7-5) today. He will probably face M6e Ichinojo (6-6) on Day 14. If he wins both of those bouts, he will be 12-2 Y. 

Gernobono    152
28 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

And Aminishiki... oh man, how I would love to see him get back to Makuuchi in style by winning the Juryo yusho! :)

Oh man....... I am hoping for his intai for years..... He will be back in makuuchi..... so sad... 

Yatagarasu    23
6 hours ago, Morty said:

The noise when Chiyotairyu and the Geek collided at the tachiai there was titanic. I'd be interested to know what force was generated there between them. 

Coincidentally, today's episode of Sumopedia on NHK was about the tachiai.  They rigged Uncle Giku with some sort of contraption and he generated 13G - equivalent to two tonnes!

• Like 1

Thundersnow    25
5 hours ago, dada78641 said:

Are you sure you aren't joking?

Here's the interview you are talking about: 

Yes, it's a story about a grocery store involving Ichinojo (and Shohozan instead of Yoshikaze), but here's the kicker: it was all made up. The whole thing was a joke. That was a real interview of course, but the translation was made up of whole cloth.

I think you are the first person to ever see one of Kintamayama's famous joke interview translations and actually think it's all line-for-line real... something @Kintamayama can no doubt be proud of!

LOL, OK, suckerof the day. I take my bow. ANd there I was routing against Ichinojo for no reason at all. ;)

robnplunder    153
1 hour ago, Bumpkin said:

I don't believe that O1w Goeido's (10-2) loss to M4e Shohozan (6-6) was anything more than a bump on the road to Yusho #2. He faces M5w Takakeisho (7-5) today. He will probably face M6e Ichinojo (6-6) on Day 14. If he wins both of those bouts, he will be 12-2 Y. 

Takakeisho has proven that he can beat any rikishi and poses a danger to Goeido's run for the 2nd yusho.   And against Ichinojo, Goeido is only 5 - 5.   If the breaks go against Goeido, he can end up with 10-4 record entering the final day.    But I admit, it is Goeido's Yusho to lose.   He's the odds on favorite for now and the only reason I am watching this injury devastated basho.  

Edited by robnplunder

Kintamayama    17,420
6 hours ago, dada78641 said:

I was just thinking about this, let's not be too hard on the guy. People were thinking that maybe he could actually clinch the yusho. So everything less than a yusho is now underwhelming. But he got his KK at M3. To me, getting a KK at M3 and above is the hallmark of the top. And technically he could improve all the way to 11-4! So he has done an absolutely splendid job at his career high rank and proven that he's not some fluke.

edit: oh, and let's not forget... 3 makuuchi basho, 3 KK!

And if he gets double digit wins, the first ever to get three consecutive DD wins form his Makuuchi debut, something not even Hakuhou or Asashouryuu achieved..

I think..