rhyen

Basho Talk - Aki 2017 (SPOILERS)

Goeido is looking solid. If I were a betting man, then I would taking back my earlier comment about Geek and say that this is probably Goeido's basho. Would be interesting to see if he accomplishes this never before done feat of two kadoban yushos. 

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=O&form1_wins=0-7&form1_m=on&form2_rank=O&form2_wins=8-15&form2_y=on&form2_m=on

The first and second Takanohana hold the rare distinction of a father and son pair getting kadoban yushos.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScreechingOwl said:

As for maegashira, the way to handle that is how Asashoryu did it: throw the offender off the doyho the next time you are matched against him.

Funny, how you accidently misspelled Hakuho!

• Haha 1

I hope One and Only's reduced coverage is only a temporary thing. I miss being able to watch all the non-makuuchi stuff.

Enho has been fun to follow no doubt. 

Edited by Katooshu

Well Chiyonokuni did it again. Winning by hataki-komi and okuri dashi in the same bout. He just doesn't know when to stop fighting (Laughing...)

Ishiura needs to stop doing the submarine, he’s not good at it.

Tochiōzan’s henka felt half-assed, it’s as if he didn’t actually want to win by it but still didn’t want to take Kotoshōgiku’s tachiai head-on I guess.

I’ll call this a Gōeidō yūshō now…

Edit: Oh yeah forgot to mention, is it just me who cringes looking at the way Enhō’s legs bend inwards? I feel like they could break in half any moment…

Edited by ALAKTORN

Did I spot a look of resignation on Ishiura's face today or is it my imagination? Is not been going very well for him but I hope he doesn't give up. 

Takakeisho could very well add this throw attempt followed by oshidashi to his arsenal. His oshi strength is such that he only needs to get his opponent a little bit unbalanced and the rest will be easy. 

Yoshikaze vs Shohozan never, ever disappoints. And it certainly didn't today. Crazy wild bout by two crazy wild rikishi. 

And I don't know about Onosho's yusho chances just yet, but barring a catastrophe he'll be in sanyaku for sure next basho. 

14 hours ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

Wakaichiro gets his win to move back to an even 2-2. Needs to go 2-1 over his last 3 matches to secure KK and promotion to Sandanme. Ganbatte Wakaichiro!

Interesting test on Day 10, looks like it's big Maeta next for him.

I just realized that I never checked up on what might have happened in the Day 1 Mitoryu-Kiribayama bout that caused the latter to withdraw, and by now Sportsnavi's Day 1 coverage has scrolled out of view. Did anyone catch it by chance and has some information?

And geez, why didn't anybody highlight this comedy tachiai back on Day 1? Somebody has to have watched that video before I just did... (Laughing...)

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

41 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

I just realized that I never checked up on what might have happened in the Day 1 Mitoryu-Kiribayama bout that caused the latter to withdraw, and by now Sportsnavi's Day 1 coverage has scrolled out of view. Did anyone catch it by chance and has some information?

I watched the bout on the Sports Navi stream live, but I don't remember anything about it.  I was barely paying attention to it anyway, just having it on while I was doing other things and occasionally catching the actual matches.  I remember someone not getting up while I was watching, but I think that was Sasakiyama.

3 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

I wonder which type of reaction icon people will opt for...

Do we really need an icon or smiley for 'that f*** hurts by just watching at!'?

I personally don't feel any pleasure for lookig at broken limbs or bleading eyes… Perhaps I'm too sympathetic…

A basho, where 'half' of the sekitori is already in hospital and we still cheer for a bleeding eye… #WackyAki

3 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

And geez, why didn't anybody highlight this comedy tachiai back on Day 1? Somebody has to have watched that video before I just did... (Laughing...)

I always smile at the matches where one of the contestants is a skinny kid who bounces off his opponent. There was one a couple years or so back where the kid kept falling on his backside at tachiai and the gyoji kept having them line up and start over again and again. You had to give it to the kid for how he kept trying, but he was way outside his weight class (figuratively and literally)

6 hours ago, Tiger Tanaka said:

Shohozan: No one cares less about their face than me, look at my eye!

Yoshikaze: Hold my beer.

Ah, Yoshikaze...  Leading with his face since 2004.   I love that guy.

7 hours ago, Fukurou said:

I always smile at the matches where one of the contestants is a skinny kid who bounces off his opponent. There was one a couple years or so back where the kid kept falling on his backside at tachiai and the gyoji kept having them line up and start over again and again. You had to give it to the kid for how he kept trying, but he was way outside his weight class (figuratively and literally)

Do you mean Hattorizakura? :)

19 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Interesting test on Day 10, looks like it's big Maeta next for him.

Perhaps he should go the way of Kinjo and just smack him in the face repeatedly until he is dead.

Well, I don't think Wakaichiro will win. From what I've seen he's not the best at dealing with rikishi far bigger than himself.

Chiyotairyu has the best tachiai in the business when he is on, and he is on this basho. He doesn't have much else (except for superior sideburns and a great sense of humour) but man, he knocked Onosho silly at the tachiai. He's just one behind Goeido at this point and if he can keep blasting them like this he is still in with a chance

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, dada78641 said:

Well, I don't think Wakaichiro will win. From what I've seen he's not the best at dealing with rikishi far bigger than himself.

Well, maybe he can spar against his oyakata a bit...

Looks like Chiyotairyu stole the show from Onosho(w).  Meanwhile, Takarafuji upset Daishomaru (they usually appear together in Harumafuji's dohyoiri, but today Ishiura replaced Daishomaru), doing stablemate Harumafuji a solid, not to mention Goeido.  Being the first to get a KK in this tournament, Goeido is definitely the one to beat.  Those with 2 losses look solid going forward.  Despite that, I'm still foolishly hopeful that Harumafuji (6-3) can pull off a miracle yusho victory.  The pressure is on! ;-)

Edited by Amamaniac