rhyen

Basho Talk - Aki 2017 (SPOILERS)

Still early to speculate of course, but if Harumafuji and Goeido face off with the yusho on the line, my money's on the yokozuna. I don't see Goeido's pull-happy sumo this basho being enough.

12 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Thank you so much. I'll enjoy playing with that for a while.

Is there any way to exclude basho where the guy was in juryo?

Onosho has 46 wins. More than anyone else in all ozumo.

8 minutes ago, kumoryu said:

Thank you so much. I'll enjoy playing with that for a while.

Is there any way to exclude basho where the guy was in juryo?

Only by restricting it to rikishi who spent the entire year in makuuchi: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=6&n_basho=6&rowcount=5&show_total=on&sum_wins=1&sum_range=6&form1_year=2016&form1_month=1&form1_m=on&form2_m=on&form3_m=on&form4_m=on&form5_m=on&form6_m=on

Edit: Okay, there's one totally different way, too: http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query_bout.aspx?show_form=0&group_by=rikishi1&year=2016&day=1-15&rank1=Y-M&onlyw1=on

Edited by Asashosakari

Click off "Makuuchi" in Basho 1. Click on "Sum". It will sort by total wins.

Edited by Bumpkin

Quickly scanning though, 1955 was the last time I could find the top number of wins being fewer than 62 (yokozuna Kagamisato had 61--though I doubt Harumafuji even finishes with that). I may well could've missed a lower year after that though.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=6&rowcount=5&show_total=on&sum_wins=1&sum_range=6&form1_year=1955&form1_month=1&form1_m=on

Edited by Katooshu

I won't even try to imagine what you do with your sake if Asanoyama does.

• Like 4
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Am I the only one disappointed in Yutakayama? He’s got the build of a yokozuna, but I get the feeling he doesn’t train at all and it’s all fat and no muscle.

Gōeidō channeling his inner ōzeki Kisenosato to choke the yūshō?

12 minutes ago, ALAKTORN said:

Am I the only one disappointed in Yutakayama?

Perhaps he's aiming for the longest KK-only record in Juryo?

O1w Goeido (10-3) will clinch the Wacky Aki yusho if 3 things happen on Day 14. 1st, M3e Onosho (8-5) defeats M16e Asanoyama (9-4). 2nd, Goeido defeats M9e Takanoiwa (8-5). 3rd, S1e Mitakeumi (7-6) defeats Y1w Harumafuji (9-4).

54 minutes ago, ALAKTORN said:

Am I the only one disappointed in Yutakayama? He’s got the build of a yokozuna, but I get the feeling he doesn’t train at all and it’s all fat and no muscle.

Gōeidō channeling his inner ōzeki Kisenosato to choke the yūshō?

I wonder if he's a bit of a mental choker and is so far overawed by being in the top division. He seems like someone who should be doing better based on his juryo showings, and as they came up through the rankings I figured him and Asanoyama were very close in levels...

Heck, he's doing about as well in makuuchi as guys like Kitarahima, Akiseyama, and Amakaze.

Edited by Katooshu

18 hours ago, Dwale said:

Well, if anyone can drop the ball here, it's Goeido. (The odds are in his favor. Just sayin'.)

I've been a little bummed out this basho, what with so many of my makuuchi favorites injured and Osunaarashi... BUT Aminishiki returning to makuuchi is one hell of a silver lining. You have to figure he's not got many basho left in him, but I'll be cheering him all the way. Godspeed, you sneaky old ****. 

I for one am going to assume that those four asterisks stand for goat...

;-)

• Like 1

I have a question for you guys...
Can you tell me what is the lowest win record to win a yusho? Post WW2. 10-5? 9-6? Anybody?
(still haven't figured out sumodb queries yet...)

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Yusho.aspx

Tochiazuma won at 11-4 in 1972 and Musashimaru with the same score in 1996. I see some winnings records like 10-1 in the late 1940s, and as a relative sumo noob I'm not sure what's going on there.

There was also a 9-6 juryo yusho in 2001.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

I see some winnings records like 10-1 in the late 1940s, and as a relative sumo noob I'm not sure what's going on there.

Honbasho didn't always have 15 days. Pre-WWII there were 11-day then 13-day basho.

I think I remember seeing some with even numbers of days too, but I no longer trust my memory all that much.

In the 15 bout per basho era, May 1939 - January 1944 and since May 1949, the Makuuchi yusho has been won with an 11-4 record twice. M5w Tochiazuma in Hatsu 1972 and O1w Musashimaru in Kyushu 1996. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Honbasho didn't always have 15 days. Pre-WWII there were 11-day then 13-day basho.

I think I remember seeing some with even numbers of days too, but I no longer trust my memory all that much.

From June 1906 thru January 1924 each basho had 10 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A bit late to yesterday's comments here but I can only repeat the same thing as yesterday - Goeido simply wants to win too much. Sometimes when you feel the pressure to succeed you'll get stuck in a sort of pattern trying the same thing over and over again because you think it must succeed at some point... Until it's too late. I fear that's what's going on with Goeido right now,and I can relate to him very much. There's no easy way to get out, and it requires a major mental reset. But since there's only one bout per day he has time to refocus. We'll see what happens. 

As others have said, in one word he's choking. 

Edited by dingo
  • Like 1

I've got a really stupid question XD
Why do some rikishi open their mouths during the pre-bout thingy (today I've seen Chiyomaru and Hokutofuji do it)? In one of his vids one or two bashos ago, Kintamayama called it "yawning". Is it to loosen their jaw muscles or to pop their ears?

1 hour ago, MrGrumpyGills said:

Is it to loosen their jaw muscles or to pop their ears?

I can only guess it's the first. Tosanoumi was the first guy who I remember to show that habit. Looked like he wanted to eat his aite whole. B-)

• Thanks 1

It seems like there are 2 main ways to win against Takakeisho, either stepping aside when he charges to make him lose footing, or as Tochiozan did today, to not let him get into his stride.

When Mitakeumi went to get his left hand on Harumafuji's belt, he might have lost concentration for a very brief moment, which the Yokozuna took advantage of.

That was some very good footwork / balance today on Goeido's part to avoiding losing the bout, but I don't think his form is good enough in tomorrow's decider. Guess we'll see. Either way, it's been a very intriguing basho.

Gonna be fun tomorrow ! My money is on the yokazuna, to show how perfect the ranking system is.  I don't understand why the re-match for Arawashi-Yoshikaze but glad Arawashi didn't get ripped off. 

Goeido would have to lose twice against Harumafuji. That is entirely possible, of course, but he has also beaten Harumafuji a few times and he seems to be in better physical shape. He has a real chance against the faster and mentally stronger yokozuna if he can remain focused. Don't forget that Harumafuji has excellent footwork too. It could be all over before Goeido realizes it.

Edited by orandashoho

If we end op with a playoff for the Makuuchi yusho between  Harumafuji and Goeido, the yusho will be won by a rikishi with an 11-4 record for the first time since Kyushu 1996, when then Ozeki Musashimaru won the yusho (his 2nd) in the famous 5-rikishi playoff against Yokozuna Akebono, Ozeki Wakanohana, Ozeki Takanonami and Sekiwake Kaio!

I vaguely remember that basho and that playoff. it was in my first full year of following Ozumo via Eurosport. If this was "Wacky Aki" then that basho was "Crazy Kyushu". The big difference was that most of the excitement was in the 2nd half of that basho. After 11 days Musashimaru and Akebono were in the lead with a 10-1 record.  Both ended up with 11-4 and were caught by the other 3 to get to  that 5-way playoff.

Here is that 5-rikishi playoff on Youtube (part of the DVD "National art of Sumo, volume 7: 1993-1996", as posted by Dosukoi, le site du sumo):

In other news, if Onosho wins his final bout against Takanoiwa tomorrow and finishes with a 10-5 record for the 3rd consecutive time straight after being promoted from Juryo, he will be the first rikishi to do so. Nobody ever went 10-5, 10-5, 10-5 in their first 3 Makuuchi basho.

Only 1 rikishi ever matched this (and even did better), namely Terukuni (later the 38th Yokozuna), who went 11-4, 12-3, 11-4 in his first 3 Makuuchi basho (1939/5, 1940/1 and 1940/5), 3 basho later he was Ozeki, 2 further basho later Yokozuna.

And no , I am obviously not saying that if Onosho wins tomorrow he will become Yokozuna. ;-)

Edited by Chijanofuji
typo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2