rhyen

Basho Talk - Aki 2017 (SPOILERS)

rhyen    639

Waiting for everyone to bare their fangs, souls, and wit.

Everyone also please give thanks to inhashi for showing us how to get sportsnavi for viewers outside Japan.

Edited by rhyen
  • Like 1

Sakura    159
40 minutes ago, rhyen said:

Waiting for everyone to bare their fangs, souls, and wit.

Speaking of fangs, I just watched something involving vampires. I'm looking forward to this basho and hope it doesn't disappoint.

rhyen    639

Mitoryu vs Kiribiyama...Interesting starting position for Mitoryu about 1 feet behind the shikiri line.

Edited by rhyen

Gurowake    1,363

Kizenryu wins by uwatenage!  At least, that's what I heard, and is consistent with his grip on Takagenji's belt despite the throw looking more like a kubinage.  He's made it back to half his wins by that kimarite now.  116/232

edit: Kimarite confirmed on Kyokai website

Edited by Gurowake

Asojima    1,693

13 straight wins for the Juryo East side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pandaazuma    705
2 minutes ago, Asojima said:

13 straight wins for the Juryo East side.

I was just about to post this!  Incredible.  Takgenji will be gutted about that!

Doitsuyama    958
13 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

I was just about to post this!  Incredible.  Takgenji will be gutted about that!

Takagenji isn't juryo though. So we can still say, all Juryo rikishi on the East won today which should be quite the rare feat.

Asashosakari    8,447

Wins for all three Onamis today, for the second time since the youngest one joined (who has also taken over the brothers-gashira position this basho).

• Like 1

Benihana    349

Sanyaku-massacre. Goeido and Terunofuji both looking not good and Mitakeumi banged his head hard on the dohyo. Gladly Takayasu and Harumafuji seem to be in a good shape.

Morty    621

Glad to have sumo back. Thanks to Kinta for the digest.

This basho is wiiiide open for one of the young guns to win it. With four Yokozunae it is unlikely anyone not of that rank will get a look in for the yusho. But with three of them on the side lines, the fourth (good as he is) in his twilight, and two of the three Ozeki kadoban (and so worried about 8 wins rather than winning the whole thing) and also probably still injured (in Terunofuji's case), the opportunity is there for one of the next crop coming through to get themselves a yusho. They will all know it as well

• Like 2

rhyen    639

8 hours ago, Gurowake said:

Kizenryu wins by uwatenage!  At least, that's what I heard, and is consistent with his grip on Takagenji's belt despite the throw looking more like a kubinage.  He's made it back to half his wins by that kimarite now.  116/232

edit: Kimarite confirmed on Kyokai website

Is there an equivalent of upper torso/body throw?

Gurowake    1,363
4 hours ago, Morty said:

Glad to have sumo back. Thanks to Kinta for the digest.

This basho is wiiiide open for one of the young guns to win it. With four Yokozunae it is unlikely anyone not of that rank will get a look in for the yusho. But with three of them on the side lines, the fourth (good as he is) in his twilight, and two of the three Ozeki kadoban (and so worried about 8 wins rather than winning the whole thing) and also probably still injured (in Terunofuji's case), the opportunity is there for one of the next crop coming through to get themselves a yusho. They will all know it as well

Don't count out Kotoshogiku.  You heard it here first.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 2

Shatsume    23

Wow, great first day. Love Kaiseis orange mawashi. Horse for the yusho. 

Akinomaki    13,822

Sasakiyama couldn't move for a while after he dropped off the dohyo - almost sure kyujo.

I don't remember having seen a basho where the juryo-kaku gyoji appear that early - they were doing nearly half of makushita.

Dwale    172

Would love to see Takayasu take the cup this time. If he keeps his focus then he has a real shot.

It's only day one, so some of these conspicuous losses might just be nerves. We'll see. 

Someone better get Shohozan a trap for that mouse over his eye, sheesh.

rhyen    639
2 hours ago, Dwale said:

Someone better get Shohozan a trap for that mouse over his eye, sheesh.

DJWpr0hVwAA2tTF.jpg:large

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Tiger Tanaka    60

I wonder how bad Shohozan's eye is going to look tomorrow, I don't think I've ever seen an eye swell up that quickly.

Looking forward to the following matches tomorrow:

• Kotoshogiku vs. Terunofuji
  • Hokutofuji vs. Goeido - Goeido dominated their first meeting in Nagoya, want to see how Hokutofuji adjusts for their 2nd matchup.
  • Tochinoshin vs. Harumafuji - Tochinoshin won 4 of their first 7 matchups against each other. Since then Harumafuji has won 19 of 20. Tochinoshin looked at his strongest in a while in Nagoya, but his knee looked less than 100% on Day 1. Can he rebound on day 2 and get his third gold star?

Also looking to see how Mitakeumi and Shodai bounce back from disappointing losses. As well as Ikioi and Endo who both still look hampered by their injuries.

inhashi    2,016

Orora precariously stepping up to the dohyo and he certainly looking fleshy-er with the recent record breaking weight gain.  It looked as if he could have finished Takamiryu at tawara edge, but in the predictable outcome, Orora tilts and falls to the side.  At 34 years old in his current state, I wonder how much longer he will keep this up.

ALAKTORN    235

Chiyotairyū looked fierce, damn.

How did Hakuhō injure his left knee?

rhyen    639

from color_sumo

pre-basho
DJRbW1LVoAExLD7.jpg:large

Day 1: Can someone verify what Kitanofuji is saying and whether he said it during the Japanese commentary?
Edit: found another sujo cartoon commetary that he mentioned it during the Terunofuji-Hokutofuji match.
DJZuT5qVwAEvkgW.jpg:large

Edited by rhyen
  • Like 1

kuroimori    1,531

Wow! Was there Wheelchair Day announced today?

Ura had to use it earlier, then Takayasu took a ride after losing to Tamawashi - who also limped off of the dohyo.

Massive injury curse swirling around in the Kokugikan...:-S

kuroimori    1,531
Just now, MrGrumpyGills said:

Oh no, Takayasu and Tamawashi both injured themselves ... >_<

It seems like Tamawashi's ankle/foot is okay - at least that is what he just said in his NHK post-bout interview.

• Like 1