Sign in to follow this  
inhashi

Sports Navi Live in 7 Steps

inhashi    2,022

As I post this, the Aki basho is well into the middle of Jonidan for Day 1

This is a quick step by step to watch the basho live if you reside outside of Japan.  I'm sure this has already been posted (Akinomaki?), but here is how to watch it with step by step instructions by using a proxy switcher via Google Chrome and screenshots of what I do.

1.  Pick an IP address and port number at this link.  It is a list of proxies from Japan which will change your location to a Japanese IP address.Screenshot_283.png

The one I chose (copy) is IP ADDRESS: 27.135.210.77 with PORT: 80  You can pick any one on the list, I just like to choose any 'Elite' with a faster 'Response Time'

2.  Click on 'Settings' located on the top right corner of the Google Chrome browser
Screenshot_278.png

3.  Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click on to 'Advanced'
Screenshot_279.png

4.  Scroll to the bottom of this next page and click on 'Open proxy settings'
Screenshot_280.png

5.  A small window will open where you click on to the button - LAN settings
Screenshot_281.png

6.  Another smaller window will open as seen below.  Here, under where it says Proxy server, check the tiny box so that a green check mark appears and enter your copied IP address as well as it's port number from step 1.  Finally, Click the ok button.
Screenshot_282.png

7.  Open a new tab on Google Chrome to the Sportsnavi Live player website here -->https://sports.mb.softbank.jp/genre/sumo and be sure to pick the correct day from a drop down list on the top right corner
Screenshot_393.png
It will take a few tries until it connects.   I usually end up reloading the page no more than 3 times.  A black screen with 'an error occured' will appear with a rotating blue circle around it which is a good sign... Just be patient and wait. Depending on how long or quickly it takes to connect to your chosen Japan proxy you will be able to watch the basho live.  

Edit:  Please note, the connection is not secure when changing proxy server.  Be sure to un-check the small box at step 6 afterwards if choosing this method of watching the livestream 

Edited by inhashi
Updated link to sponavi
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 10

Morningstar    43

Thank you very much. I already have a VPN I pay for (Private Internet Access), to protect my online privacy. They have a Japan out point, and switching to that from a US one allows me to access the live stream in perfect HD.

• Thanks 1

inhashi    2,022

This is optional, but at the lower right corner of the viewing screen is where you can change to HD or SD resolution.
 Screenshot_285.png

Bumpkin    213

OMG. It works. Just watched Wakaichiro. Thank You, very much.

Bumpkin    213

Will I have to reset my settings when sumo is over?

inhashi    2,022
3 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Yes, I recommend that.  Actually, while keeping the sportsnavi window open and playing, I just go back to the proxy setting from step 6 and click out the green check mark, 'uncheck' it that is.  Sportsnavi will continue to stream while you return back to your own IP address.  That way you can watch honbasho and continue to browse other sites online.  Your connection should then allow other pages to load faster.

Gurowake    1,393

I'm amused by it saying "Replay" in English.  I"m also surprised they even have replays and commentators for these lower division fights, but I generally don't follow what happens in the live watching world since I'm asleep during the main event.

Gurowake    1,393
12 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Unless you want all your internet traffic routing through a server in Japan owned by a complete stranger, it would be a good idea.

• Like 1

rhyen    658

No chat function, anyway to open up a parallel chat window?

Ender Wiggin    18

@rhyen You can use the pop-out chat on s9 if you want. Click the option (gear) icon next to the Send button and then just click pop-out chat. No one is there right now though...

sesom    52

Works perfect in HD via PIA! Thanks!

Akinomaki    13,855

First time a proxy worked for me to watch Sponavi outside of Japan. Sponavi via proxy is here about 20s behind the live NHK.

The thread about Sponavi is this

The cheapest way to get Sponavi is by first subscribing to Yahoo premium and a Yahoo Japan ID - but just like you have to pose as inside of Japan to watch Sponavi, you may also have to do that to subscribe to it. The first month is free, you should cancel at the end of the month and resubscribe at the start of the month of the next basho.

If you subscribe, you have the complete live-stream of a day in 9 parts as VOD for 7 days.

you have to click on the blue   お申し込み   button on the top right, the button with Yahoo Japan ID you can use then if you have one, else the one for 1480 Yen.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

Akinomaki    13,855

The sponavi schedule of oyakata and guests with the daily links to the free stream till the juryo dohyo-iri: https://cf.sports.mb.softbank.jp/featured/sumou/

The 9 day 1 VOD videos for a week are still free, as are the 7 parts of the free stream from today https://sports.mb.softbank.jp/genre/sumo

On 10.9.2017 at 04:33, inhashi said:
On 10.9.2017 at 04:23, Bumpkin said:

Yes, I recommend that.  Actually, while keeping the sportsnavi window open and playing, I just go back to the proxy setting from step 6 and click out the green check mark, 'uncheck' it that is.  Sportsnavi will continue to stream while you return back to your own IP address.  That way you can watch honbasho and continue to browse other sites online.  Your connection should then allow other pages to load faster.

This works really well. Only to get a  video page started I switch the proxy on, and off as soon as I can see the video. Then I can switch from hyoujun (SD) to kougashitsu (HD) - with a very good connection maybe even to Full HD. Repositioning and re-watching parts and even pausing and restarting the video is possible, only a reload of the page destroys the connection.

I have to look for a new proxy each time, but with a new look at the Japan proxy list, I always find one to start the video, after 1 or 2 tries. The settings for Firefox differ from old to new version:

it used to be in "Settings" -> "Advanced" -> "Network" -> the Settings button for How Firefox connects to the internet

now it is in the "General" part of "Settings", the button just at the bottom of that page

Senkoho    428

Worked perfectly well yesterday, but today it's:

指定されたページは存在しません
このページは削除されたかURLが変更になった可能性があります。
誤ったURLを入力していないかご確認ください。

Akinomaki    13,855
3 minutes ago, Senkoho said:

Worked perfectly well yesterday, but today it's

Each daily stream has another URL, that disappears after the live streaming is over - than you have to watch the 9/7 VOD parts of the stream listed here https://sports.mb.softbank.jp/genre/sumo

You have to select the day to see the videos of a previous day.

• Thanks 1

Akinomaki    13,855
On 9/11/2017 at 08:25, Akinomaki said:

Only to get a  video page started I switch the proxy on, and off as soon as I can see the video.

The browser is required to activate DRM protection for sponavi - flash isn't needed. This results in a proxy ONLY needed for SSL, one short connection to receive the digital rights, the page and the video can load with the fast standard connection. With this even a slow proxy is sufficient, and the start is much faster and easier. It is no great problem to have it turned on while you are watching the individual VOD of the daily stream - but I turn the proxy off at once anyway (with the toggle proxy add-on)

For this you have to leave the option of using the same proxy for all protocols unchecked, have all other proxy entries blank (http, ftp, socks) and only set the proxy entries for SSL. Switching to manual proxy then only affects these connections and the rest is as fast as usual.

Edited by Akinomaki

rhyen    658

Well, the makushita joi matches normally takes place after the Juryo dohyo-iri as a filler in between the official bouts.

Additionally, here are some gems from the sponavi live twitter feed

• Thanks 1

Akinomaki    13,855

The basho is over, the last live stream videos will disappear next Sunday at 24h JST - but for the day that is about to vanish, you can open the video pages before that time and pause them, and can then watch them as long as the tabs/windows are open, also after the video pages only give the "video expired" display.

If like me you only have subscribed to sponavi for sumo, you should cancel the subscription on Saturday the 30th Japanese time - via the  加入状況・退会 link on the bottom right of the pages. Resubscribing at the start of the month of the next basho is just as simple as a login.

Edited by Akinomaki