Jakusotsu

Games talk Aki Basho 2017

Jakusotsu    1,563

Will start this thread with a personal issue:

I'll be offline when several games go online, so please take note of my picks if possible.

Turn The Tide (will enter it by myself when I'm back)
Winner: Goeido
Loser: Tochiozan

Chain Gang:
Myogiryu

Bench Sumo (just for the record, it's already been entered into the database)
4 Goeido
3 Harumafuji
3 Mitakeumi
2 Kaisei
2 Takarafuji
Ura
Shodai
Nishikigi
Tochinoshin
Tochiozan

Sekitori Toto:
Takagenji
Yago
Terutsuyoshi
Chiyonoo
Chiyootori
Osunaarashi
Amakaze
Gagamaru
Hidenoumi
Yamaguchi
Toyohibiki
Kotoyuki
Daiamami
Myogiryu
Asanoyama
Yutakayama
Endo
Kaisei
Daishomaru
Daieisho
Ishiura
Takarafuji
Ikioi
Kagayaki
Takakeisho
Ura
Shohozan
Yoshikaze
Mitakeumi
Hokutofuji
Goeido
Takayasu
Harumafuji

Ganzohnesushi    146

Major upsets in many games on Shonichi....

• Chain Gang sees only 31 survivors. 50 went out on Day 1 (Mitakeumi, Yago and Yoshikaze the main culprits)
  • Only 4 bets won in Odd Sumo. Kudos to Jejima who takes the early lead with an impressive 63 points net win.
  • And only 10 of 64 active players achieved a win in TTT

Ganzohnesushi

• Thanks 1

Yubinhaad    6,269

Something occurred to me when I made my (100th!) Hoshitori entry yesterday - until this basho, Kisenosato had been a constant presence in my line-up ever since he made his Makuuchi debut. I had selected him in 75 of his 76 previous basho, the only exception was 2008 Aki, but then I didn't select anyone as I missed that basho.

• Like 1

Gurowake    1,393

Days when Makuuchi match with a Juryo rikishi is not the first match, and one with two Makuuchi rikishi is, plays havoc with some of my automated systems.  It's not terrible, but I was really confused when I was told to pick Aminishiki for Odd Sumo, since it assumed his match was the one that actually was Asanoyama vs. Yutakayama.  The Odd Sumo layout does not show that there's a gap of a match between ones that are presented to pick from.

orandashoho    335

Terrible SG result on Day 3. Even knowing about the fusen bouts, I only got 3 points! Only Goeido came through for me. The rest -- all losses. I knew I would do badly this basho, not being able to sit down for any length of time without excruciating pains, but this!!! GKA is terrible too. 0-4. The kyujos are resulting into a seemingly random mismash of sanyaku aites. Pot luck guesses gave me zip so far.

Will the next few days restore some faith and order? I doubt it. This is a wild, unpredictable basho. I was confident that Mitakeumi would be a strong yusho contender. but he has had a bad start. Terunofuji is soldiering on but not showing much spirit. Goeido has done the inconceivable before, who knows, he might do it again, but predictable he is not.  

Oh well.

Gurowake    1,393

It was a really bad day everywhere, especially considering the 2 fusen.  Lots of zeros in Bench, including me.  No winners except the fusen ones were picked very often in SG, with average score of around 4 with around 70% of people taking the 2 free points.

edit: Toto wasn't as bad as a I thought, as all Xs still would have lost; the more popular picks out of those who weren't the most popular picks must have mostly won.

Edited by Gurowake

Tsuchinoninjin    148

I completely regret not giving Chiyotairyu the time of day on my entries but I checked UDH and over 90% of the players chose him! Must feel good to prove all the nonbelievers wrong.

Jakusotsu    1,563

More than half of the players still winless in Turn The Tide after day 4...

Benihana    351

All the players on TUG "scored" today. "Only" 31 of 34 guessed correctly, but the remaining 3 each chose a different loser, so they get virtual golden bonus points. -> 100%

Edited by Benihana

Gernobono    152

you know your benchteam sucks when you don't win with the losing yokozuna benched against the yok on 4 in your opponents lineup.....

but on the other hand, it does not matter when you lose your 4 bouts on a way to a 11-4 yusho

Andonishiki    96

looks like recently my bench aite all score zero points... ;)

i wonder why ? maybe the check the torikumi, see my name and then think 'oh, what a monster'

then they run away with no points

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha (ridiculous scary monster laugh)

Pandaazuma    710

Crazy basho for the games, but oddly enough I'm doing OK.  The biggest surprise is Toto, where in a basho like this the system players would expect to do badly.  I'm 6-1 there but have been exceedingly lucky, just sneaking over the line on several days.  Also doing pretty well in ISP, Quad and Tipspiel as well as in a couple of pre-basho games...so it might not be a write-off after all.  I won't be getting a fourth Oracle yusho though...Gurowake is leading there, I think...followed closely by Norizo.  Will need a few lads to turn their basho around to catch them.

The less said about TTT the better, though.  Biggest carnage ever in that game?

Asashosakari    8,528

Speaking of carnage, I see that Day 5 in Quad was the 21st-worst day ever there. Already beaten by three other days this year, though; 2009 is the only other year with 4 entries in the top 25.

Asashosakari    8,528

By the way, anyone been tracking the frequency of double-kinboshi picks in TTT? I had one of those days earlier, and I see somebody did today as well, but otherwise I don't recall it happening much. (But maybe I've just missed it.)

Yubinhaad    6,269
23 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

By the way, anyone been tracking the frequency of double-kinboshi picks in TTT? I had one of those days earlier, and I see somebody did today as well, but otherwise I don't recall it happening much. (But maybe I've just missed it.)

Surprisingly that was your first perfect score, congrats! With Kamogawa chalking up his/her fourth today, there have been 110 in total.

At a glance it looks like Aminishiki has made the most appearances in such occurrences, four times as a winner and five as a loser. I can only put that down to his unpredictability which might make most players avoid picking him at all, leaving the door open for a kinboshi.

Asashosakari    8,528
40 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Surprisingly that was your first perfect score

Only if you mean it's surprising that it happened at all. B-) My TTT picking strategies might be the most boring thing in the known sumo gaming universe, so I'm stunned anytime I pick one rikishi solo, let alone both.

Jakusotsu    1,563
5 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

The less said about TTT the better, though.  Biggest carnage ever in that game?

I recall one basho when I had to *double* everybody's win count to craft the banzuke. Let's see how this one will turn out.

4 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Not keeping count, but it happens occasionally, mostly done by a specific subset of players who end up high in the shukun ratings. (I'm looking at you, Taikanute!)

Asashosakari    8,528

I've had bad ISP tournaments before, as has everyone, but after the ultra-pitiful 1-7 start this time, I think I'm going to literally start tossing a coin to decide my remaining selections...

Suwihuto    25

With rikishi appearing late after being marked 'kyujo' this basho in Oracle, does their status need to be changed for the scoring to be correct?

Asashosakari    8,528
7 minutes ago, Suwihuto said:

With rikishi appearing late after being marked 'kyujo' this basho in Oracle, does their status need to be changed for the scoring to be correct?

No. Not on the Day 1 schedule = will not be scored under any circumstances.

• Like 1

Gaijingai    43

Hey, is it just me or is the Hoshitori Contest not working this basho?

Pandaazuma    710

Just...a massive mess of a basho.  We'll all be at the mercy of the gods with regard to Masters points.  About the only game I can count on right now is Oracle, where I'm basically neck and neck with Gurowake, but he has a slight advantage with his Endo pick of 9 (to my 6)...I think he'll probably get nine, especially with the woeful Tokushoryu tomorrow.  Doubt I'll be able to make up that reverse with the other picks.  I'm up there in a few dailies but I'm really just limping along and getting lucky with wins.  Definitely the most unpredictable basho I've ever played in...so I'll be overjoyed with 20+ Masters points.  Not quite what I wanted, but even 5 points would be a treasure amid this fiasco.

Oh, I'm flying back in UDH though, especially after an excellent day today.  Going for a record of 55th on day one (out of 61) to a top-ten finish.  Possible as I have Ura at 6.

Achiyama    339
18 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

Hey, is it just me or is the Hoshitori Contest not working this basho?

Obviously, the kicker is on vacation. ;-)

Makushita Game is the same - no updates at all.

Ganzohnesushi    146

Just saw that three players (Ketsukai, Profomisakari and Holleshoryu) in the current Top 10 standings in Juryo Game have used Sadanoumi as their weakest Rikishi. AFAIK this is not allowed as Sadanoumi was not on the Torikumi on Day 1. There might be even more players who selected him. I hope the standings soon will be corrected.

Edit: On the Odds page it can be seen that in total 8 players picked Sadanoumi.

Ganzohnesushi

Edited by Ganzohnesushi
  • Like 1

kuroimori    1,533
On 9/18/2017 at 19:21, Achiyama said:

Obviously, the kicker is on vacation. ;-)

Makushita Game is the same - no updates at all.

Hoshitori is up since Day 10 or 11, only Makushita Games needs a wake up call.