Fukurou

Rikishi Status Aki 2017 - Day 15 no changes

Bumpkin    213

The joi now extends down to M6e Ichinojo. M6w Kagayaki for Harumafuji and Terunofuji.

Gurowake    1,393

Ura now confirmed as withdrawn on NSK site.  Not that I didn't trust John.

Fukurou    334
5 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

Ura now confirmed as withdrawn on NSK site.  Not that I didn't trust John.

You'd be nuts not to trust John. I don't believe media pronouncements.

Asashosakari    8,528
6 hours ago, specialweek 2 said:

Is it possible to  find out what is the most number of kyujo top div rikishi in 1 basho? 

For a quick and dirty approach one can count the number of makuuchi rikishi on the Day 15 schedule. Doesn't catch rikishi who were only kyujo at the start or in the middle of a basho though, and also doesn't take account of pre-tournament retirements. (And for before 2004 the baseline is 40 rikishi, of course, not 42.)

Edit: And doesn't catch Day 15 withdrawals either. Anyway, I believe the record holder is Nagoya 2002 with 3 full kyujo, 6 withdrawals that went through the end and 2 temporary ones.

Edited by Asashosakari

Doitsuyama    958
1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:

Anyway, I believe the record holder is Nagoya 2002 with 3 full kyujo, 6 withdrawals that went through the end and 2 temporary ones.

Hatsu 1950 arguably trumps that with 12 top division rikishi who didn't appear on all 15 days. M15e Narutoumi has an 8-7 record, but had a fusenpai on day 9. Of course Nagoya 2002 had only 40 rikishi, so it was more than a quarter of makuuchi affected, while Hatsu 1950 had 52 makuuchi rikishi, so "only" 23% had missed bouts.

Haru 1944 and Aki 1944 also have 11 rikishi with missed appearances as many rikishi got drafted into war duty. Natsu 1947 and Aki 1951 are the next in line with 10 rikishi who didn't appear at least once with three more basho at 9 rikishi, two of those at the end of World War II. Seven more basho follow at 8 rikishi, among them Nagoya 2010 as the most recent one. Prior to World War II it was not unusual for rikishi to miss single days, so I restricted my query to basho after 1940.

Nagoya 2010 is very remarkable in a similar statistic as this is the post World War II with most missed appearances as those 8 rikishi totalled 98 missed appearances, trailing only Haru 1944 which had 103 of them. Nagoya 2002 is closely behind with 97. Hatsu 1950 actually just made it into the top ten with 82 missed appearances.

If none of the currently missing seven makuuchi rikishi returns (Sadanoumi may be a candidate) the Haru 1944 record is in danger as we are in line for 101 missed appearances already. It's like war out there right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Asashosakari    8,528

In fairness, the Nagoya 2010 absences were almost entirely due to suspensions, so those rikishi didn't really "miss" their bouts.

• Like 1

Jakusotsu    1,563

Hard to believe it's been seven years already. Makes Sokokurai look as old as he actually is.

Fukurou    334
8 hours ago, Fukurou said:

You'd be nuts not to trust John. I don't believe media pronouncements.

Now that the forum is up again, I want to clarify that I've seen too many stories in the media that were based on guesses but published as fact. I'm sure many of us have seen the same thing. Someone gets hurt, everyone *knows* he's going out, the otakata says the rikishi is going out, the media publishes he's out, and then the oyakata changes his mind and the rikishi stays in. That's why I don't quite believe it until I see it..

• Like 1

Asashosakari    8,528
7 minutes ago, Fukurou said:

Now that the forum is up again, I want to clarify that I've seen too many stories in the media that were based on guesses but published as fact. I'm sure many of us have seen the same thing. Someone gets hurt, everyone *knows* he's going out, the otakata says the rikishi is going out, the media publishes he's out, and then the oyakata changes his mind and the rikishi stays in. That's why I don't quite believe it until I see it..

I'm struggling to remember any cases at all where the press reported a kyujo as certain in the morning and then the rikishi didn't drop out.

Fukurou    334

My issue with the media in general, as opposed to the sumo media in particular.

Yatagarasu    26

I posted this in the general 'Basho Talk' topic, but realise I probably should have put it here instead.  Apologies:

NSK have given further details on Ura which, according to various translation widgets, appears to be an ACL injury.  Would any fluent speakers here be able to confirm this please?

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/907445306156998656

"休場力士情報を更新しました。 西前頭四枚目 宇良(木瀬部屋)は「右膝前十字靭帯損傷」のため、3日目から休場いたします。"

kuroimori    1,533
9 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

I posted this in the general 'Basho Talk' topic, but realise I probably should have put it here instead.  Apologies:

NSK have given further details on Ura which, according to various translation widgets, appears to be an ACL injury.  Would any fluent speakers here be able to confirm this please?

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/907445306156998656

"休場力士情報を更新しました。 西前頭四枚目 宇良(木瀬部屋)は「右膝前十字靭帯損傷」のため、3日目から休場いたします。"

Confirmed! It just says "Ura, due to an ACL injury, is kyujo from Day 3." 

Yatagarasu    26
7 minutes ago, kuroimori said:

Confirmed! It just says "Ura, due to an ACL injury, is kyujo from Day 3." 

Urghhh....   Thank you. :'-(

Asashosakari    8,528

Takayasu's injury has officially been given as 右大腿筋郡損傷, which I (or rather WWWJDIC) can't quite make sense of...right thigh muscle something injury. Tagonoura is additionally quoted as saying that it's some sort of partial tear of one of the thigh adductor muscles, which I guess is what the aforementioned says, just in different terms.

Gurowake    1,393

It's amusing how the Japanese term for ACL is basically a calque, but with less high-falutin' words.  I didn't realize exactly what "cruciate" meant until I saw the translation as basically "cross-shaped".  Why is it called that instead of the more common "cruciform"?  Medical people need to use complex words so regular people don't know what they're talking about.

Gurowake    1,393
7 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

Takayasu's injury has officially been given as 右大腿筋郡損傷, which I (or rather WWWJDIC) can't quite make sense of...right thigh muscle something injury. Tagonoura is additionally quoted as saying that it's some sort of partial tear of one of the thigh adductor muscles, which I guess is what the aforementioned says, just in different terms.

Yikes, you're right - rikaichan can't understand what the hell 郡 is doing there, whereas it picks up the 5 kanji for ACL (probably much more common) as well as the previous 3 kanji in that compound for "femoral (thigh) muscle".  Nothing I can find on what that "county" kanji means in the medical sense, even in Tangorin's "Specialized" tab - it must be really obscure.

Edited by Gurowake

Akinomaki    13,854
13 hours ago, Gurowake said:

rikaichan can't understand what the hell 郡 is doing there, whereas it picks up the 5 kanji for ACL (probably much more common) as well as the previous 3 kanji in that compound for "femoral (thigh) muscle".  Nothing I can find on what that "county" kanji means in the medical sense, even in Tangorin's "Specialized" tab - it must be really obscure.

Gun is just a group of something, for locations a region with small towns, for diseases a group of symptoms that indicate it, for muscles several of the muscles in that area.

Edited by Akinomaki

Bumpkin    213

Day 6 Return:

M12w Sadanoumi is back.

Tsuchinoninjin    148
On 9/12/2017 at 17:50, Gurowake said:

Yikes, you're right - rikaichan can't understand what the hell 郡 is doing there, whereas it picks up the 5 kanji for ACL (probably much more common) as well as the previous 3 kanji in that compound for "femoral (thigh) muscle".  Nothing I can find on what that "county" kanji means in the medical sense, even in Tangorin's "Specialized" tab - it must be really obscure.

Instead of a dictionary for medical terms especially muscle groups it's way easier to go to google Japan image search, paste the word, press space and add 図. The diagrams are easier to understand than looking up the 'english' result anyway.

However sometimes you get unpleasant surprises like Okinoumi's anal fissure.

Yubinhaad    6,269

Press starting to report that Terunofuji is indeed kyujo due to the left knee injury. Shodai will get the default win on Day 6.

As a kadoban Ozeki, Terunofuji will drop to Sekiwake on the next banzuke, barring a miracle return to the basho.

• Sad 1

Bumpkin    213
23 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

Press starting to report that Terunofuji is indeed kyujo due to the left knee injury. Shodai will get the default win on Day 6.

As a kadoban Ozeki, Terunofuji will drop to Sekiwake on the next banzuke, barring a miracle return to the basho.

Shodai had a fusensho over Terunofuji on Day 6 in Nagoya. What are the odds of that?

• Like 2

Tsuchinoninjin    148
22 minutes ago, Bumpkin said:

Shodai had a fusensho over Terunofuji on Day 6 in Nagoya. What are the odds of that?

In a nearly COMPLETELY UNBELIEVABLE check of the DB Kotomitsuki got a fusen win over Chiyotaikai on Day 11 of both 2009 aki and 2009 Kyushu.

I seriously didn't expect to find anything.

• Like 4