Sign in to follow this  
Rijicho

Featured rikishi - Kitazakura & Toyozakura

I believe that's basically what happend for Oginishiki and Oginohana, the older got his father's shikona (their father was Sekiwake Oginohana).

But that does not apply to the three Izutsu brothers - none of the sons took over Tsurugamine shikona but the second son Sakahoko took over the heya from his father (of course Terao was still active then and the oldest Kakureizan only managed a total of 7 Juryo bashos, the last basho full kyujo due to a dislocated shoulder). He now runs a restaurant "Terao".

As for Sakahoko and Terao brothers, I believe they are the only ones to accomplish holding the East and West Sekiwake positions in the same basho. I am not sure but Waka/Taka had not done so but someone can check it for me.

Incidentally there is a little story on Sakahoko on the Kyokai's website (Japanese side) about how hard his father tried to stop him from joining Ozumo as he was not heavy enough. So Sakahoko went to a high school and gained weight. He went back to his father, former Tsurugamine, for the permission. and this time he could not find anything else to stop him so he let him join. The former Izutsu oyakata never protested Kakureizan nor Terao joining Ozumo though.

Edited by Jonosuke

Kitazakura and Toyozakura must have happy brotherly meal after basho to celebrate their return to makuuchi together. Kitazakura hasn't looked as sharp as few basho ago but was all fired up against Tochinonada who had everything at stake too. Kitazakura sealed his promotion while Tochinonada suffered the decisive loss and we will see juryo Tochinonada in Hatsu basho 2006. Despite his undoubtedly massive joy after winning his bout, he only did a subdued gesture when he left the dohyo. Maybe he did it because he knew he sent Tochinonada into juryo.

In any case Kitazakura will be the oldest makuuchi rikishi in Hatsu basho as he turns 34 next month.

Two brother-pairs in makuuchi again.

Guest Bushohigekabayama
Two brother-pairs in makuuchi again.

The question appears.

Is it the record of quantity brother-pairs in makuuchi now?

Or there were times of more quantity of such pairs.

Is it the record of quantity brother-pairs in makuuchi now?
Judging by Brian Lewin's superb article there have never been more than two pairs.

Table shamelessly stolen from the July '05 banzuke topics:Brothers Who Have Held A Makuuchi Division Rank

Older Brother Makuuchi Debut Younger Brother Makuuchi Debut Makuuchi Rank in the Same Tournament Tourna-ments
1 Dategaseki(Tanikaze) 4/1769 Dategaseki 11/1791 11/1791 - 10/1793, 11/1794 6
2 Sakahoko 11/82 Terao 3/85 3/85, 7/85 - 5/92 43
3 Wakahanada(Wakanohana III) 9/90 Takahanada(Takanohana II) 5/90 11/90 - 3/00 57
4 Oginohana 1/90 Oginishiki 5/93 5/93 - 7/93, 11/93, 7/94, 11/94, 11/95 - 5/96 9
5 Kitazakura 7/01 Toyozakura 11/03 9/04 1
6 Roho 9/04 Hakurozan 7/05 7/05 1
7 Shakagadake 11/1770 Otorii 10/1774 none 0
8 Wakanohana I 1/50 Hanada(Takanohana I) 11/68 none 0