Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Ticket sales Aki 2017

Sold out in 50 minutes. But by now we know that all the major and not so major online ticket outlets get their hands on nice bundles and then sell them at an outrageous profit, so we can still get our fix of what we need, but it just costs more..  There will be 400 same -day tickets to be sold at the venue but good luck with that. The Kokugikan sales booths were not even opened, to avoid a ruckus there. Internet, phones and convenience stores, that's where the sales went down. Hamakaze Oyakata, ex Gojourou, head of sales: "We felt the high interest of the fans this time as well.." No one came to the KKan to attempt to acquire tickets.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 2

It's amazing how things have turned around in the relatively short time I've been back into ozumo. It was already under way in the latter half of 2015 because it was news that the onrei banners were going up again, but that drew my attention to the fact that there were other days when the banners weren't up and empty seats could be seen all over.

I'm glad I've got no plans to try to see live ozumo!

Edited by RabidJohn

One of my bucket list item is to attend a basho in person.   It does not seem like I can do that without forking over gobs of yen (besides plane tix, hotel, and other tour spending).   And I want the ring side seats ....   Sigh.

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

One of my bucket list item is to attend a basho in person.   It does not seem like I can do that without forking over gobs of yen (besides plane tix, hotel, and other tour spending).   And I want the ring side seats ....   Sigh.

You couldn't get ring side seats even if you were rich. Connections? That's another story but us "regular " humans cannot get ring side seats as they are never on sale.

15 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

There will be 400 same -day tickets to be sold at the venue but good luck with that.

If no changes from before, sale starts at 7.45 each day.
My guess of when you have to be there to get a ticket (based on my experience from Jan-17 and May-17):
day 1: 6-7 am
day 2-6: 7-8 am
day 7-8: see day 1
day 9-13: 6 am
day 14: 5:30 am
day 15: 5 am (in May I was number ca 250 at 4:45)
Very approximate times of course, the earlier the better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

You couldn't get ring side seats even if you were rich. Connections? That's another story but us "regular " humans cannot get ring side seats as they are never on sale.

I've often wondered how approachable some of those regular faces are. For example, does any pretty young sujo stand a chance of parking her pert derriere next to Wiggy Guy? Who's the lady with the henna-ed streak in her hair sitting on the west side near the hanamichi most days, etc? These people are the keys to ringside seats, but I imagine cultivating a relationship with one of them is going to be a long-term project involving living and working in Japan - and then getting really lucky!

17 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I've often wondered how approachable some of those regular faces are. For example, does any pretty young sujo stand a chance of parking her pert derriere next to Wiggy Guy? Who's the lady with the henna-ed streak in her hair sitting on the west side near the hanamichi most days, etc? These people are the keys to ringside seats, but I imagine cultivating a relationship with one of them is going to be a long-term project involving living and working in Japan - and then getting really lucky!

Ah, you noticed the crowd, too.   I see a lot of regulars and was wondering how they can afford (or able) to get the ring side seat at will.   What is the connection?  Are they big donors to heyas?   Company or politic big wigs?