Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O-Aki 2017

Is today or tomorrow the last day to announce their withdrawal from the Day 1 torikumi?

The torikumi comes out about 24 hours from now, assuming I'm not mistaken.  But I could easily be.

I believe the torikumi is released at 12 noon JST on Friday. Makuuchi and Juryo Day 1 and Makuuchi Day 2. So yeah, what Gurowake posted.

Edited by Bumpkin

But the withdrawals are not necessarily announced until the morning of sphonichi. (Ooops!)

Edited by Asojima

Kakuryuu kyujo. Izutsu Oyakata has confirmed. "I just had a talk with him and he told me he was not ready, so he will be kyujo," said the Oyakata. "I am recovering from the injury at the moment for sure, but I could not train and the most important part of sumo, the first step, is not 100% so that's the main reason for my kyujo," said Kakuryuu himself later. Third straight kyujo and 4th kyujo this year.

Kisenosato kyujo as well.  Tagonoura Oyakata confirms. "He is not in perfect condition. Please allow him the kyujo," said the Oyakata. "He will have to do his very utmost more than ever to heal.. He is not in a condition to do any sumo due to his injuries. I think deciding to rest is a brave decision," added the Oyakata. This is the first time in Kisenosato's career that he will be kyujo from a whole tournament.This is the first time in 18 years (since Kyushu 1999 when Wakanohana III and Akebono were kyujo) that two Yokozuna are kyujo from day 1.

Hakuhou, nothing official yet but not looking good.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Hakuhou, nothing official yet but not looking good.

Off to bed for me now, have to wait until morning to see what the news is.

"I think it's unreasonable. I haven't spoken to him yet about this - he has waited till the last moment to see if he can enter, but he is disappointed for sure," said Miyagino Oyakata regarding Hakuhou's entry. A final decision will be made tomorrow.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

In case Hakuho is also out, will they remember to put Harumafuji on the East side in the Day 1 and 2 torikumi?

If Kisenosato & Kakuryu are out, Ura will be in play again for Harumafuji.

Edited by rhyen

Anyone else kind of excited by the prospect of three yoks being out (while still hoping for their speedy recovery of course)? Heck, someone like Tochinoshin could yusho!

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

Anyone else kind of excited by the prospect of three yoks being out (while still hoping for their speedy recovery of course)? Heck, someone like Tochinoshin could yusho!

Three Yokozunas out....

"Sumo is a simple game. 42 rikishis fighting on a dohyo. And at the end, the Mongolians always win." (Gary Lineker)

... Ok ... Are there still rikishis from Mongolia in the top of the Banzuke (Sigh...):-P?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Asojima said:

But the withdrawals are not necessarily announced until the morning of sponichi.

Sumo must be doing really well if the Kyokai can even sell naming rights to individual days... ;-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, Yubinhaad said:

Sumo must be doing really well if the Kyokai can even sell naming rights to individual days... ;-)

The other Sundays will now be Nikkan Nakabi and Sanspo Senshuraku.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

The other Sundays will now be Nikkan Nakabi and Sanspo Senshuraku.

You are doing it wrong. It's Nikkanabi and Sansporaku.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Could this be Goeido's time to shine again exactly 12 months on from very similar circumstances.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, inhashi said:

Also circulating is Day 1 kyujo for Aoiyama and Sadanoumi :(

Yeah, I don't think it's in the first one I found, but it's in this one: https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1884586.html

Headline says the same thing with slightly different wording except for nothing mentioning Aki Basho (白鵬も休場 初日から3横綱休場は昭和以降初めて)

Edited by Gurowake

Whoever planned the photos for the official sumo calendar is some kind of prophet with ancient, mysterious powers! (W00t,w00t,w00t...)

• Like 1

Wow. Just wow. What say you that the yusho winner winner is likely to go 12-3 and be in a playoff?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pandaazuma said:

Whoever planned the photos for the official sumo calendar is some kind of prophet with ancient, mysterious powers! (W00t,w00t,w00t...)

Remind me to ask him for the lottery number for next year if it comes true. 

1 hour ago, BroomeSumo said:

Could this be Goeido's time to shine again exactly 12 months on from very similar circumstances.

Without three yokozunas present and the other yokozuna and an ozeki not in the best of shape, winning this yusho may not exactly be considered as a "shining" moment. Because of the lack of competition, this basho could be known as one of survival of the fittest. If nothing else, it could be the most interesting one in recent memory.