Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Preparations of the Y/O-Aki 2017

16 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

He says it's better and has been training.

Interesting, as he was completely absent from Isegahama-beya's August training camp in Niigata. Haramafuji was there, but his activity was limited to light sparring and some focused work on his tachiai. 

17 hours ago, rhyen said:

Are we so sure? Harumafuji didn't opt for surgery for his inflamed elbow after the last basho.

Edit:
from today's YDC Soken coverage (their list of injuries)
DIoK6qDVoAAnCwS.jpg:large

and including Harumafuji's chronic injuries.
DIoL6kIUQAEn-3X.jpg:large

Injury summary for the non-Japanese-speakers:

Hakuhou- left knee

Harumafuji- both elbows, both knees, both ankles

Kakuryuu- right ankle

Kisenosato- left upper arm, left ankle

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

both elbows, both knees, both ankles...

Sure sounds fun!

And yet, he is the healthiest Yokozuna!

1 hour ago, Bumpkin said:
1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

both elbows, both knees, both ankles...

Sure sounds fun!

And yet, he is the healthiest Yokozuna!

His secret lies in the fully symmetric distribution of his ailments.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Interesting, as he was completely absent from Isegahama-beya's August training camp in Niigata. Haramafuji was there, but his activity was limited to light sparring and some focused work on his tachiai. 

When was this training camp?

8 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Fourth week of August.

So around this time?

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2017 at 19:37, Kintamayama said:

"I will go out with all my might and gambarize," he ad-libbed.

Haha! Good one.

The black shimekomi Takayasu got before last basho but didn't use then gets another try. This basho he wants to wear it and breaks it in again at keiko, today at the heya. He prepares for the Nishonoseki rengo-geiko that starts on the 4th.

dly1709030014-g1.jpgo b_10522082.jpgo 20170903s00005000195000p_thum.jpgo d8df08f8dc91ee37bc3b03db29da2860-282x300.jpgo

Terunofuji with Shodai at degeiko to Tokitsukaze-beya yesterday, 14-3 against Shodai (8 bouts) and Yutakayama (9 bouts)

b_10517704.jpgo P20170902_suga_teru_nohuji-w200_0.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 3

This article from Nikkan says that Kakuryu is all but officially out of Aki. Obviously while at the YDC Soken he only did light suriashi and no keiko with any rikishi. Feeling at 60-70% while Izutsu oyakata says if he gets to 100% then it's better and not to hurry too much.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1881570.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

This article from Nikkan says that Kakuryu is all but officially out of Aki. Obviously while at the YDC Soken he only did light suriashi and no keiko with any rikishi. Feeling at 60-70% while Izutsu oyakata says if he gets to 100% then it's better and not to hurry too much.

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1881570.html

I've been working under the assumption that he's not going to enter.  He basically has to do well or be forced to retire, so he needs to be as close to 100% as he can get.  And that's not going to happen just 2 months after another injury.

Kadoban Ozeki Goueidou was at Tokitsukaze beya for degeiko yesterday. 20 bouts, 18-2.  10-1 against Shoudai and 8-1 against returning to Makuuchi Yutakayama. He showed a sharp first step, and threw using his favorite right hand grip. The other two Ozekis were there as well. "I wished I could face them, but.." said Goueidou. "I went with the feeling of moving forward  and I trained well," he added. This is the first time he went to Tokitsukaze beya for degeiko before a Tokyo basho. This is his 6th kadoban basho. "I have to go out there feeling that I'm in the yusho race.." he summed. Last year in Aki, he came off his 4th kadoban basho and got that zensho yusho. "Pinchi wa Chansu," as they say in Corsica.

Facing the non-next Ozeki:

かど番の豪栄道、時津風部屋へ出稽古18勝2敗「前へ出る意識」

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why is Tokitsukaze beta so happening?

is it because the room is big?

As Inhashi posted, Kisenosato faced new Juryo and giant hope Yago for 13 bouts (won them all) at the Nishonoseki rengo keiko held at Nishonoseki beya, training with sekitori for the first time after his kyujo.  He did not answer questions regarding his entering Aki Basho. "I am  building my body diligently and mounted the dohyo.  I've still got some way to go. Not good and not bad.." he explained.  Although he did win all his bouts against Yago, the difference in ability and experience was evident. No left ottsuke was seen, which is a bit worrying. Some of the various Oyakata who were there were heard voicing their concerns over his condition. "It's still worrying .If he enters, I'd like him to be involved in the yusho race," said Chief of judging department Nishonoseki Oyakata. "He's not in any condition to do honbasho sumo .I felt he was trying to check out how his injury is healing.." added Shibatayama Oyakata(ex- Yokozuna Oonokuni).

稀勢の里、関取との稽古再開「良くも悪くもない」

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Yokozuna Kakuryuu told reporters he will make a  decision regarding his entry in a couple of days. He has injuries in areas surrounding his right ankle. "As a whole, my condition has improved for sure. I have been doing shiko and suriashi. But I still have pain in my right foot instep where there is a fracture and I still can't  step on it.." he said. Today he was at the hospital having an MRI and will decide what to do after he hears the diagnosis.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Thanks 1

Ozeki Takayasu was at the Nishonoseki rengo keiko today as well. He had 18 bouts against the likes of Tamawashi, Kagayaki and Kotoshougiku and was 13-5. He was seen winning easily with his kachiage elbow smash,  but was also seen taking on Kagayaki's pushing and thrusting, testing his surviving skills. "I tried a whole bunch of stuff. All in all, if I don't go forward, it's no good. I will do keiko with a lot of horsepower.." he said.

高安「幅広く試した」琴奨菊らと連合稽古13勝5敗
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Yokozuna Kakuryuu told reporters he will make a  decision regarding his entry in a couple of days. He has injuries in areas surrounding his right ankle. "As a whole, my condition has improved for sure. I have been doing shiko and suriashi. But I still have pain in my right foot instep where there is a fracture and I still can't  step on it.." he said. Today he was at the hospital having an MRI and will decide what to do after he hears the diagnosis.

The results of his MRI should have nothing to do with his decision. What's far more important is that since he still can't step normally  on the foot, the fracture hasn't completely healed. Since the basho begins in just a few more days, it seems obvious what his decision will be. The word kyujo comes to mind. However, because some advisors believe that the best way for rikishis to recover from injuries is continuing to train and avoid rest, I qualify that prediction just a bit. 

Hakuhou- still no training with less than a week to go. No degeiko, no training at home. Left knee injury. He has not had a single bout since Nagoya. "Totally bad," is what he said on Banzuke day.

• Thanks 1

Ozeki Goueidou, not from the Nishonoseki Ichimon, visited the Nishonoseki Ichimon rengo keiko held at Oguruma beya today, going head to head with Ozeki Takayasu, 7-4. "I had some good tachi-ais. All I have to do is get those tachi-ais right.. To some extent, I am ready!!" said a confident Goueidou. It's been a year since his unheard of zensho yusho coming off kadoban. "After I got the yusho, it all went downhill. I haven't been leaving a mark lately,  so I'd like to gambarize and make my presence felt. After all, if you don't win, it's no good.." he added.

Takayasu: "The content was not good. I am not attacking enough. I'm a step behind my opponent. Not good.."

Oguruma Oyakata: "It was a good session. They are both aiming for the yusho!!"

豪栄道「ある程度状態は仕上がった」高安と三番稽古
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yokozuna Kisenosato went to the Nishonoseki rengo keiko at Oguruma beya today as well, where he proceeded to face Juryo Myougiryuu and newcomer Yago (Othello was not there). 4-3 against Myougiryuu. He lost a couple of mutual pushing bouts there. "Not much change from yesterday, " he said. He also attempted a head-first tachiai, something he rarely does. "Well, I am trying all kinds of stuff that hopefully will bring me back into shape," he summed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sekitori said:

The results of his MRI should have nothing to do with his decision. What's far more important is that since he still can't step normally  on the foot, the fracture hasn't completely healed. Since the basho begins in just a few more days, it seems obvious what his decision will be. The word kyujo comes to mind. However, because some advisors believe that the best way for rikishis to recover from injuries is continuing to train and avoid rest, I qualify that prediction just a bit. 

Couldn't find the location of his fracture anywhere for some reason but this is totally true that not being able to step on it fully 5 days before shonichi, even in the best super optimistic case scenario it might be relatively painless around shonichi but it sure makes his sumo weaker and cautious which causes insecurity and bad losses.

It is not essential if he can step on it hard, it is essential how painful it is when for example Mitakeumi does his intense attack and forces Kakuryu put full pressure on it while retreating and circulating. That is totally different than putting controlled pressure on it during butsukari/suriashi/shiko/fat sandanme.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

newcomer Yago (Othello was not there).

I was wondering how long it would take you to make a joke about that.

• Haha 1