Exil

Forum Update Feedback, version 4.2

Akinomaki    13,519
Posted (edited)

Apparently the quote is much safer now. I so far avoided to add a quote after I started typing the message, because quote used to delete all of that, and also another quote replaced the first quote(s), but now it seems that all gets added to the bottom of the post, without having to use MultiQuote  - "quote this" can't be used with MultiQuote, but now it (hopefully) is safe for multiple use.

Edited by Akinomaki

Asashosakari    8,122

The navigational parts at the top of the forum look very squished together now...maybe some whitespace can be added between "Forums/Calendar/Guidelines/Staff/Online Users" and the hierarchical location of the thread (e.g. the "Home > NON-SUMO RELATED SUBJECTS > Public Feedback > Forum Update Feedback, version 4.2" line of this thread)?

• Sad 1

orandashoho    326

:'-(Not more whitespace please! There's far too much whitespace already.

Asashosakari    8,122
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, orandashoho said:

:'-(Not more whitespace please! There's far too much whitespace already.

I think there's some confusion here. I'm talking about the difference between this:

Forum1.png

and this:

Forum2.png

The main problem is that the catchment area of Forums/Calendar/etc. extends all the way down to the horizontal line and there's no unresponsive space at all, which makes this area prone to misclicking if you want to click on something in the Home/etc. section. A single linefeed would help a lot. Modern UIs shouldn't try to emulate badly designed 1990s adventure games and force users to pixel-hunt. (The lack of space between Home and the Nihon Sumo Kyokai etc. buttons is also an issue, but those only exist on the front page, so it's less of a problem, although it looks pretty ugly as well.)

And while I'm wishing back design details from the old version - can we please get back to the navy blue background for the forum section headers instead of the off-white IPS default colour?

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

Akinomaki    13,519
Posted (edited)

I would rather like to have the "Home" line completely vanish. Home is the same link as Browse and there is plenty of space above or better next to the new "Start new topic" for the "Mark site read" button and the custom activity button(s).

Edited by Akinomaki

orandashoho    326
22 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I would rather like to have the "Home" line completely vanish. Home is the same link as Browse and there is plenty of space above or better next to the new "Start new topic" for the "Mark site read" button and the custom activity button(s).

No, don't disappear this line altogether! While clicking on the "Home" portion of the line is the same as clicking the "Home" tab, the line contains the hierarchy of the thread, any portion of which can be clicked. Very useful.

My gripe is just the amount of useless whitespace that you have to scroll through to get to any real content. All the bells and whistles have their own whitespace. The ratio of real content to window space is very poor.

Jakusotsu    1,521

Positioning to the first unread post in threads with slow loading pics is acting up again.

Akinomaki    13,519
Posted (edited)

I got a new PM in an existing PM thread, I received the browser notification and the notification list showed a 1,  but the whole thread is gone from the notification list and the inbox (still at 88%).

Edited by Akinomaki

Gernobono    151
On 31.7.2017 at 14:53, Asashosakari said:

And while I'm wishing back design details from the old version - can we please get back to the navy blue background for the forum section headers instead of the off-white IPS default colour?

i second that

maybe we can get an option to change  the look

Akinomaki    13,519

It's getting tedious to delete all those double posts that the forum editor produces because of a 2nd click to the save button after no save seems to occur - but actually already has hideously happened.